Posted to alt.home.repair

Default any washing machines that still pump water through a lint filter?

Back in Ye Good Olde Daize we had a clothes washer which
would take water from the tub and pump it back over the
top of the clothes, passing through a lint filter (looked
a bit like a shoe shine brush).

And the filter certainly trapped lots of stuff. We had
to clean it each use.

Oh, and it also made sure that the clothes got wet
instead of sticking out on top of the water..

This is such an obviously useful system that, of course,
I can't find any washing machines out there that
still do this.

Anyone have a pointer to such a unit? I'm getting
really tired of seeing, for example, leaf fragments
hanging onto my shirts...

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/19/2015 06:08 PM, danny burstein wrote:
Back in Ye Good Olde Daize we had a clothes washer which
would take water from the tub and pump it back over the
top of the clothes, passing through a lint filter (looked
a bit like a shoe shine brush).

And the filter certainly trapped lots of stuff. We had
to clean it each use.

Oh, and it also made sure that the clothes got wet
instead of sticking out on top of the water..

This is such an obviously useful system that, of course,
I can't find any washing machines out there that
still do this.

Anyone have a pointer to such a unit? I'm getting
really tired of seeing, for example, leaf fragments
hanging onto my shirts...

Thanks

I remember that when I was a kid, my mom had one...and it would sure
make sense especially in places with water shortages.

I don't know of any machines today that will do that...but there are
plenty of videos on-line that show you how to re-use water...I did not
see any particularly good ones though

Posted to alt.home.repair

danny burstein wrote:
Back in Ye Good Olde Daize we had a clothes washer which
would take water from the tub and pump it back over the
top of the clothes, passing through a lint filter (looked
a bit like a shoe shine brush).

And the filter certainly trapped lots of stuff. We had
to clean it each use.

Oh, and it also made sure that the clothes got wet
instead of sticking out on top of the water..

This is such an obviously useful system that, of course,
I can't find any washing machines out there that
still do this.

Anyone have a pointer to such a unit? I'm getting
really tired of seeing, for example, leaf fragments
hanging onto my shirts...

Thanks

Hi,
I don't know, our Whrilpool top loader has self cleaning lint filter,
per every load it is reverse flushed cleaning it. That is what
manual says. No problem. Matching dryer has big fine rectangular lint
screen we clean every load. No problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

You missed his point . The machine would pump water over the lint filter
while agitating , had nothing to do with saving water . Had everything to do
with getting lint out of your clothes . I suspect the reason this is no
longer done is because now dryers do that . Except we don't have one , we
line dry our clothes . And they often have lint on them that needs to be
gotten off before she will wear them . I couldn't care less if there's a
little lint .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

In "Terry Coombs" writes:

You missed his point . The machine would pump water over the lint filter
while agitating , had nothing to do with saving water . Had everything to do
with getting lint out of your clothes .

well, more _throough_ the filter, but yea. And it wasn't
just lint it trapped, but also things like small parts
of leaves, etc.

I suspect the reason this is no
longer done is because now dryers do that.

And a pretty ****poor job of it, especially if it's
larger pieces like... those leaf fragments..

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 03:16:31 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Terry Coombs" writes:

You missed his point . The machine would pump water over the lint filter
while agitating , had nothing to do with saving water . Had everything to do
with getting lint out of your clothes .

well, more _throough_ the filter, but yea. And it wasn't
just lint it trapped, but also things like small parts
of leaves, etc.

I suspect the reason this is no
longer done is because now dryers do that.

And a pretty ****poor job of it, especially if it's
larger pieces like... those leaf fragments..

Me have a modern washer and dryer, and my wife uses a lint roller on
fresh clothes before heading to work. She has a dark uniform.
Seems a common problem. From what I see she could pick off the few
strap pieces of lint and dog hair, but the lint roller is faster and
cleans better. Haven't had any problem with leaves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 03:16:31 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In "Terry Coombs"
writes:

You missed his point . The machine would pump water over the lint
filter while agitating , had nothing to do with saving water . Had
everything to do with getting lint out of your clothes .

well, more _throough_ the filter, but yea. And it wasn't
just lint it trapped, but also things like small parts
of leaves, etc.

I suspect the reason this is no
longer done is because now dryers do that.

And a pretty ****poor job of it, especially if it's
larger pieces like... those leaf fragments..

Me have a modern washer and dryer, and my wife uses a lint roller on
fresh clothes before heading to work. She has a dark uniform.
Seems a common problem. From what I see she could pick off the few
strap pieces of lint and dog hair, but the lint roller is faster and
cleans better. Haven't had any problem with leaves.

You must not live out in the woods .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 22:34:56 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Me have a modern washer and dryer, and my wife uses a lint roller on
fresh clothes before heading to work. She has a dark uniform.
Seems a common problem. From what I see she could pick off the few
strap pieces of lint and dog hair, but the lint roller is faster and
cleans better. Haven't had any problem with leaves.

You must not live out in the woods .

"The woods" ain't the only place with leaves. We brush them off our
clothes before coming into the house.
Same with pine needles and burrs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/19/2015 07:08 PM, danny burstein wrote:
Anyone have a pointer to such a unit? I'm getting
really tired of seeing, for example, leaf fragments
hanging onto my shirts...

Thanks

The best performing machines out there today are the front loaders.

Unfortunately when a front loader breaks you'll prolly need to take out a second mortgage to pay for repairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/20/2015 10:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And still you miss the point . It was pumping water from the tub ,
across
the lint filter and back into the tub . Most automatic washers have
always
used fresh water for every cycle - though I remember a machine my
mother had
back in the 50's that would pump the wash water into a separate tub then
back into the machine for subsequent loads . Though why on earth would
anyone want to use dirty water to wash their clothes has always
escaped me .

There was a version I remember called the suds saver,
that reused the wash water. I'd have thought it makes
sense to use rinse water for the next load's wash.
That would be reasonably clean.

I remember those from the 70s in Australia. The washer had a heating
element to get the recycled water back up to temperature. I think we
reused the water only once. Reusing the rinse water wouldn't have saved
detergent ("suds"), would it?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 9:14:46 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:
danny burstein wrote:
[...]

I've seen toploaders in years gone by that had a lint filter up top
that was visible. I guess it circulated some of the water throught it
and it caught lint and small debris. If I had to guess, I would think
maybe they've moved the filter to an automatic self-cleaning one?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Things like lint filters on washing machines you have to trade up a model
nowadays. Same goes for our new pool pump motor. Same model#,
same design, but they eliminated the on/off toggle power switch from it.
Gotta pay $50 more and buy a motor too strong for our size pool
to get one with the switch. So back to plugging it in before use
and unplugging it after.

Things ain't what they used to be...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/19/2015 08:40 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
philo wrote:
[...]

The OP said it would take water "out of the tub"

which implied to me that it was the water-saver variety

since AFAIK they no longer make those washers, no lint filter is needed
as clean fresh water is used with every cycle.

That said, no matter how well you wash the clothes there is always bound
to be at least some lint produced while drying (at least with cotton)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2015 7:08 PM, danny burstein wrote:
Back in Ye Good Olde Daize we had a clothes washer which
would take water from the tub and pump it back over the
top of the clothes, passing through a lint filter (looked
a bit like a shoe shine brush).

And the filter certainly trapped lots of stuff. We had
to clean it each use.

Oh, and it also made sure that the clothes got wet
instead of sticking out on top of the water..

This is such an obviously useful system that, of course,
I can't find any washing machines out there that
still do this.

Anyone have a pointer to such a unit? I'm getting
really tired of seeing, for example, leaf fragments
hanging onto my shirts...

Thanks

Back in the last millennium I was told by an appliance salesman that the
manufacturers had decided that the washer lint filter wasn't needed.
Everyone has a dryer to remove the lint, and everyone is connected to
sewers, so no need for a filter. Progress...
Liz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2015 9:13 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

And still you miss the point . It was pumping water from the tub , across
the lint filter and back into the tub . Most automatic washers have always
used fresh water for every cycle - though I remember a machine my mother had
back in the 50's that would pump the wash water into a separate tub then
back into the machine for subsequent loads . Though why on earth would
anyone want to use dirty water to wash their clothes has always escaped me .

That was common some years back. You started off with the whites, then
light colors, then dark colors. May have made sense decades ago when
water was difficult to get in some parts of the country, not to mention
cost. Maybe still makes sense in third world countries.

People still take baths, not showers. They relax in a pool of dirty
soapy water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2015 9:13 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

And still you miss the point . It was pumping water from the tub , across
the lint filter and back into the tub . Most automatic washers have always
used fresh water for every cycle - though I remember a machine my mother had
back in the 50's that would pump the wash water into a separate tub then
back into the machine for subsequent loads . Though why on earth would
anyone want to use dirty water to wash their clothes has always escaped me .

There was a version I remember called the suds saver,
that reused the wash water. I'd have thought it makes
sense to use rinse water for the next load's wash.
That would be reasonably clean.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

That's what I understood it to mean.

Most automatic washers have always
used fresh water for every cycle - though I remember a machine my mother had
back in the 50's that would pump the wash water into a separate tub then
back into the machine for subsequent loads . Though why on earth would
anyone want to use dirty water to wash their clothes has always escaped me .

--
Snag

Agree. I've never seen a machine that used anything but clean water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 10:12:37 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/20/2015 9:13 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

And still you miss the point . It was pumping water from the tub , across
the lint filter and back into the tub . Most automatic washers have always
used fresh water for every cycle - though I remember a machine my mother had
back in the 50's that would pump the wash water into a separate tub then
back into the machine for subsequent loads . Though why on earth would
anyone want to use dirty water to wash their clothes has always escaped me .

There was a version I remember called the suds saver,
that reused the wash water. I'd have thought it makes
sense to use rinse water for the next load's wash.
That would be reasonably clean.

-

Don't go giving the govt ideas. They'll make that a reqt on all
new washers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Yeah I guess I did miss the point.

My 25 year old washing machine has never once done anything wrong.

I put the cloths and soap in and nothing else has even needed to be done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:08:40 -0500, danny burstein
wrote:

Back in Ye Good Olde Daize we had a clothes washer which
would take water from the tub and pump it back over the
top of the clothes,

Whirlpool called that Sudzmiser (spelling?) We had one for about 16
years. Pink.

passing through a lint filter (looked
a bit like a shoe shine brush).

And the filter certainly trapped lots of stuff. We had
to clean it each use.

Oh, and it also made sure that the clothes got wet
instead of sticking out on top of the water..

That my current machine also does, by sucking the clothes down into the
water. it makes t hem circulate like a doughnut rotating along its
length.

This is such an obviously useful system that, of course,
I can't find any washing machines out there that
still do this.

Anyone have a pointer to such a unit? I'm getting
really tired of seeing, for example, leaf fragments
hanging onto my shirts...

I remember the filter. Unfortunately my 1979 Sears Whirlpool has a lint
chopper. I can't imagine it works as well, but it takes less effort on
my part.

Thanks

_________________________________________________ ____

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:13:02 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

And still you miss the point . It was pumping water from the tub , across
the lint filter and back into the tub

Unless there are two things, it only pumped water from the tub once, to
fill the machine for the second load. After that, the water circulated
through the machine the same as it did during the first load.

And it only pumped the water into the tub once, at the end of the wash
cycle. (In t heory you could use the same wash water over and over,
but it got less hot, back in the days when everyone washed with hot
water, and it got more dirty.)

The purpose of reusing the water was aiui mostly to save on heating cold
water, and less, in most parts of the country, on the prcie of water,

Because with women, the wash water is pretty clean after the clothes
have been washed. OTOH, with me, the water is too dirty to reuse. In
fact I sometimes drain the tub and put in new water and new soap. before
getting to the rinse.

. Most automatic washers have always
used fresh water for every cycle - though I remember a machine my mother had
back in the 50's that would pump the wash water into a separate tub then

We didn't have a separate tub. We had a hose that went into the only
tub, and another hose that went into a metal tube that went through the
water sometimes in the tub, straight to the drain. I'm sure many many
people in Indy at the time had that setup and the washing machine
delivery man knew exactly what to do, and had the parts in his truck
already.

back into the machine for subsequent loads . Though why on earth would
anyone want to use dirty water to wash their clothes has always escaped me .

To save money. She was told the second load would come out clean and
indeed it did.

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 09:36:22 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/20/2015 9:13 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

And still you miss the point . It was pumping water from the tub , across
the lint filter and back into the tub . Most automatic washers have always
used fresh water for every cycle - though I remember a machine my mother had
back in the 50's that would pump the wash water into a separate tub then
back into the machine for subsequent loads . Though why on earth would
anyone want to use dirty water to wash their clothes has always escaped me .

That was common some years back. You started off with the whites, then
light colors, then dark colors. May have made sense decades ago when
water was difficult to get in some parts of the country, not to mention
cost. Maybe still makes sense in third world countries.

People still take baths, not showers. They relax in a pool of dirty
soapy water.

Indeed, though it sometimes occurs to me that I should wash my hair as
soon as I get in the tub. But I don't always do that. I think a
little dirt gives my hair body. So it's not fly-away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:12:39 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

There was a version I remember called the suds saver,
that reused the wash water. I'd have thought it makes
sense to use rinse water for the next load's wash.
That would be reasonably clean.

Good point. I woudl ask my mother about that if she were still around.
(Would be 106 if she were.)
-
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2015 2:44 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I had a suds saver washer for 35 years. It got the clothes a hell of a
lot cleaner than the new washer does. Like the OP laments, lint is now
a perpetual problem. Anyhow, reusing wash water is not an issue when
the majority of clothes washed aren't actually very dirty. The really
dirty stuff of course we didn't reuse the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 8:10 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I had a suds saver washer for 35 years. It got the clothes a hell of a
lot cleaner than the new washer does. Like the OP laments, lint is now a
perpetual problem. Anyhow, reusing wash water is not an issue when the
majority of clothes washed aren't actually very dirty. The really dirty
stuff of course we didn't reuse the water.

Back then, phosphate detergent was all
the rage. Now, if it works, the gov't has
already banned it.

Ethyl gasoline
DDT pesticide
Freon
Cars without catalytic converters

And the list goes on....
-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2015 8:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/21/2015 8:10 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I had a suds saver washer for 35 years. It got the clothes a hell of a
lot cleaner than the new washer does. Like the OP laments, lint is
now a
perpetual problem. Anyhow, reusing wash water is not an issue when the
majority of clothes washed aren't actually very dirty. The really dirty
stuff of course we didn't reuse the water.

Back then, phosphate detergent was all
the rage. Now, if it works, the gov't has
already banned it.

Ethyl gasoline
DDT pesticide
Freon
Cars without catalytic converters

And the list goes on....

And all of them made the world a cleaner place. Unlike some of you
folks, I'm not nostalgic for the smoky, stinky, polluted air and water
of my youth.

Incidentally, an excellent substitute for phosphates in detergent is
citric acid. You can buy it in bulk and it only takes a little bit per
load. Good for the dishwasher and washing machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And still you miss the point . It was pumping water from the tub , across
the lint filter and back into the tub

Unless there are two things, it only pumped water from the tub once, to
fill the machine for the second load. After that, the water circulated
through the machine the same as it did during the first load.

Indeed, two completely different items under discussion.

My olde washing machine, _while washing and agitating_, would suck water
from the tub and pump it through a removable/cleanable lint
filter (looked like a large shoe shine brush) and spray
it over the tops of the clothes. This both made sure the
clothes were getting wet and washed [a], and also filtered
out lint and other particles - such as leaves - from the water.

The other concept people are discussing was where the
washing machine would take the _rinse_ water (which,
being the second part of the cycling [b], was pretty
clean [not up to drinking standards..]), and divert
it away from the sewer line and instead pump it
into a holding tank. This water would then be
used for the wash cycle, dumped out, and then
fresh water brought in for the rinse. (And that
new rinse water would be recycled, etc.)

[a] with top loaders nowadays it's often the case
that some clothes just stay out with parts of them
sticking out of the water, thus never getting
properly washed. I actually have to take a stick
and push them under...

[b] I personally use a second rinse cycle (so it's
wash, rinse, rinse) to clean out the remaining soap.

. Most automatic washers have always
used fresh water for every cycle - though I remember a machine my mother had
back in the 50's that would pump the wash water into a separate tub then

Eyup. I'd love to have one of those for the water savings..
I've been tempted to jury rig a diverter..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Back in Ye Good Olde Daize we had a clothes washer which
would take water from the tub and pump it back over the
top of the clothes, passing through a lint filter (looked
a bit like a shoe shine brush).

And the filter certainly trapped lots of stuff. We had
to clean it each use.

Oh, and it also made sure that the clothes got wet
instead of sticking out on top of the water..

This is such an obviously useful system that, of course,
I can't find any washing machines out there that
still do this.

Anyone have a pointer to such a unit? I'm getting
really tired of seeing, for example, leaf fragments
hanging onto my shirts...

The salesman at Sears that sold me my washing machine said
it had a "passive" lint trap.

I have come to learn that "passive" means that the lint all
gets trapped in the pockets of your clothes, and the machine
itself has no lint trap whatsoever. Passive means none.

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What could be more passive than that?

But seriously, if the salesman knew this, he's a liar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 09:26:13 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/21/2015 8:10 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I had a suds saver washer for 35 years. It got the clothes a hell of a
lot cleaner than the new washer does. Like the OP laments, lint is now a
perpetual problem. Anyhow, reusing wash water is not an issue when the
majority of clothes washed aren't actually very dirty. The really dirty
stuff of course we didn't reuse the water.

Back then, phosphate detergent was all
the rage. Now, if it works, the gov't has
already banned it.

Ethyl gasoline
DDT pesticide
Freon
Cars without catalytic converters

Those all cause harm.

And new detergents have enzymes. I thought that was a hoax until I read
that people at the factory were getting sick from them. I'm sure now
they wear masks or something.

My impression is that dirtier clothes get clean, compared to before when
if I let clothes or rags get that dirty, they would never get clean.

And the list goes on....
-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:57:32 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

[...]

Im confused and that's why it took me a long time to answer -- sorry --,
but I may have spelled it wrong. We had a machine with Sudsmiser, named
after the suds from the wash cycle. I think maybe cold-water rinsing
was just getting started, so even though two loads used two batches of
rinse water, or maybe four, it didnt' have to be heated, if a housewife
could break free of her old habits (or her mother's)

My first year in college, I knew about separating white and colored
clothes, and I think I did it, but somehow I washed new maroon gym
shorts with the whites and died all my underwear pink. Why didn't they
have us wear dark blue gym shorts, at least?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, Comrade, yes the Party says those all cause
harm. For example, the DDT that saved people from
dying of Malaria. My view is that a lot of that
"harm" was the nattering nabobs wanting to ban
things that worked.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

I believe the reason this is now done is because laws were passed that allowed "gray water" to be discharged from home water systems. As soon as that happened, washing machine mfgs stopped putting lint filters in washing machineso. I had an old GE machine that had a donut shaped filter that went over the agitator. If I had known I could no longer get a machine with a lint filter, I would have paid whatever it would have cost to save the machine. If I wash a fuzzy rug now, I have to run an empty load to clean out the washer and it still doesn't get all the lint out. What a change for the worse! Progress?