Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Lint filter for washing machine drain

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 19:50:37 -0400, Shaun wrote:

Harry Avant wrote:
I would like to add a lint filter to the drain on my washing machine.
I've found a few but all state they are for use with drains running
into a laundry sink and NOT standpipe drains. My washing machine drain
hooks onto the top of a three foot high plastic pipe since there is no
sink in the area. Questions: why can't I use a mesh sock type screen
in this situation and is there anything designed specifically for this
type application?

Curious-- why filter waste water?

I don't konw about the OP but I do it mostly so that the check valve
in the sink drain doesn't clog open. If lint sticks on the valve
flap, when the drain backs up after the stream floods, the valve won't
be able to stop it. Despite my care, I think just a year after I put
in the check valve, the drain did back up and the check valve didn't
stop it.

By this time I had already started jambing a stick in between a rubber
stopper and a shelf above it that was screwed to the wall, whenever I
don't use the washer, but I took out the stick for a second and the
water rushed in. Then I plugged it back up again.

I wish I could answer the OP's question but I can't. Someone says the
sock woudln't drain fast enough. Maybe that's true, since in a sink
the sock can drain from the end and the full lenghth of the sides.