Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default any washing machines that still pump water through a lint filter?

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:13:02 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

And still you miss the point . It was pumping water from the tub , across
the lint filter and back into the tub

Unless there are two things, it only pumped water from the tub once, to
fill the machine for the second load. After that, the water circulated
through the machine the same as it did during the first load.

And it only pumped the water into the tub once, at the end of the wash
cycle. (In t heory you could use the same wash water over and over,
but it got less hot, back in the days when everyone washed with hot
water, and it got more dirty.)

The purpose of reusing the water was aiui mostly to save on heating cold
water, and less, in most parts of the country, on the prcie of water,

Because with women, the wash water is pretty clean after the clothes
have been washed. OTOH, with me, the water is too dirty to reuse. In
fact I sometimes drain the tub and put in new water and new soap. before
getting to the rinse.

. Most automatic washers have always
used fresh water for every cycle - though I remember a machine my mother had
back in the 50's that would pump the wash water into a separate tub then

We didn't have a separate tub. We had a hose that went into the only
tub, and another hose that went into a metal tube that went through the
water sometimes in the tub, straight to the drain. I'm sure many many
people in Indy at the time had that setup and the washing machine
delivery man knew exactly what to do, and had the parts in his truck
already.

back into the machine for subsequent loads . Though why on earth would
anyone want to use dirty water to wash their clothes has always escaped me .

To save money. She was told the second load would come out clean and
indeed it did.

--
Snag