Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lint filter for washing machine drain

replying to 2 door, Nikki ll wrote:
none wrote:

"Harry Avant" wrote in message
Lint filter doesn't stay free of debris, guess what happens?
I'm also curious why you would want to filter waste water. Seems to me, it
would be like wanting to filter toilet water. Sewers are there for a
purpose.

live in florida, have 2 septic tanks, one is for gray water which
receives the kitchen sink and laundry discharge, the lines ( which Y
together ) under the slab for the gray water is 2 inch PVC. every two
years without fail I have had to have Roto Rooter or some other drain
cleaning company clean out the pipe under the slab because of pet / human
hair and lint. always over a hundred dollars, the last clean out the
plumber said why don't you put ladies nylon hose over drain hose and
clamp it on being sure to check it each week after laundry day. I am an
elderly woman, sure was relieved I could do it myself and not have to
write that big check every other year. He also said it would keep build
up out of septic tank which is a greater expense to clean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

none wrote:

[...]

That story also means the PVC pipes were most likely put in backwards so
there is a sharp end collecting the lint. Several years ago I had to
have a septic system completely rebuilt because it was put in by a moron
contractor. My neighbor doing the work pointed out the incorrect order
of the 4inch PVC going to the septic tank.

Bet you have the same problem, but there is no way to correct it.

Paul
Senior Member

Nikki:

You can do a lot better than a piece of hosiery wrapped around the end of your washer's discharge hose.

Any place that deals with agricultural spraying equipment will sell "inline strainers" like the kind shown in the photo below:

http://www.vacmotion.com/images/Stra...nersBottom.png

Basically, you simply splice the inline strainer right into your washer's discharge hose, and clean it every so often. To clean it, you simply unscrew the cup off the bottom of the strainer and remove the cylindrical strainer screen. Clean the screen in a pail of water, or just let it dry out and brush the lint off of it with an old toothbrush when it's dry, put it back into the inline strainer and screw the cup housing back on.

The advantage of an inline strainer are many:
1. it has much more surface area than you'd get by simply putting a sock over the end of your discharge hose, so you wouldn't need to clean the strainer nearly as often.
2. the cylindrical strainers come in various mesh sizes and the wire mesh is made of stainless steel, so each strainer will last much longer.
3. You can buy replacement strainers as parts, so you can have one inside the inline strainer while the other one is drying out for cleaning.

You don't need to be a plumber to splice an inline strainer into the discharge hose of your washing machine, and anyone at the agricultural spraying store that sells you the strainer will also be able to supply you with the necessary fittings to splice the strainer into your washer's discharge hose.

If you choose the go the hosiery route, I'd use one whole nylon leg. Drop the nylon into your washer's standpipe, fold the top of the nylon over the top of the stand pipe so the nylon mesh is on the OUTSIDE of the stand pipe and put a clamp on the stand pipe and tighten it up to hold the nylon in place. I'd be concerned about using the nylon because if it tears, it could end up clogging up that drain pipe. That would never happen with an inline strainer. Also, if you get an inline strainer with a transparent cup, you'll be able to see how badly the strainer needs cleaning.

Last edited by nestork : June 6th 14 at 09:55 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
[...]

Not everyone has a standpipe. This device works quite well in a utility
sink. This is what I use.

http://www.linttrapper.com/design/im...apper_item.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2014 7:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
nestork wrote:
[...]

Just a .jpg --- Have a URL?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
[...]

Never mind, found it.
thx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 Jun 2014 22:49:04 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Nikki:

You can do a lot better than a piece of hosiery wrapped around the end
of your washer's discharge hose.

Any place that deals with agricultural spraying equipment will sell
"inline strainers" like the kind shown in the photo below:

http://www.vacmotion.com/images/Stra...nersBottom.png

My washing machine doesn't have any lint filter, only a lint chopper.

I've never seen it, but I've certainly seen a lot of lint come out,
chopped or not. I use another device because I don't want to clog the
check valve in my laundry sink drain pipe.

Do you think this device you recommend will go more than one load
without needing cleaning?

How many loads do you go, and do you have a separate cleanable lint
filter in your washing machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Nikki:

You can do a lot better than a piece of hosiery wrapped around the
end of your washer's discharge hose.

Any place that deals with agricultural spraying equipment will sell
"inline strainers" like the kind shown in the photo below:

http://www.vacmotion.com/images/Stra...nersBottom.png

My washing machine doesn't have any lint filter, only a lint chopper.

I've never seen it, but I've certainly seen a lot of lint come out,
chopped or not. I use another device because I don't want to clog
the check valve in my laundry sink drain pipe.

Do you think this device you recommend will go more than one load
without needing cleaning?

How many loads do you go, and do you have a separate cleanable lint
filter in your washing machine.

A filter like that will drain slower as it gets plugged up, but has until you
get to the next load to drain the whole tub, which could be hours or days, so
it'll probably do the job. If the tub is full of water when you load the next
wash, you clean it first. If it plugs up completely, and the wash and rinse
cycles fill the tub, the water will go above the filter, and overflow down the
middle of it without filtering, if I see it correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There seems to be some confusion here.

Micky responded to nestork's post about an in-line filter, while you
described the concept behind the in _drain_ filter that I linked to.

BTW...there are at least three was to clean the in-drain filter. Sometimes
I just wrap my hand around the lint and slide it off without removing the
filter from the drain, toss it in the garbage, then rinse my hand.
Sometimes I pull filter out and give it a quick hard "snap" over the
garbage and the lint comes off. Every now and then I give it a good
rinsing, inside and out, after removing the majority of the lint.

One downside is that you sometimes have to rinse out the sink because the
slower draining water doesn't always wash everything towards the drain.
Senior Member

What's confusing me is why you guys have so much lint in the water coming out of your washer.

It seems to me that there will be SOME lint, the odd strand of thread and maybe a button or two a year, but there shouldn't be so much lint that the lint filter needs cleaning after every wash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 7, 2014 3:17:04 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
What's confusing me is why you guys have so much lint in the water

coming out of your washer.

It seems to me that there will be SOME lint, the odd strand of thread

and maybe a button or two a year, but there shouldn't be so much lint

that the lint filter needs cleaning after every wash.

I've never had a problem with lint clogging a drain line, but it seems reasonable that a fair amount of lint would go down the drain. Just
look at the lint screen in a typical dryer. That frequently has a lot
of lint after just one use. If lint is in the dryer, seems reasonable
it's in the wash water too. Most drain systems aren't that sensitive
to it. But if you have one that is marginal, seems that lint from
the washer could foul it up.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader_4 View Post
I've never had a problem with lint clogging a drain line, but it seems reasonable that a fair amount of lint would go down the drain. Just
look at the lint screen in a typical dryer. That frequently has a lot
of lint after just one use. If lint is in the dryer, seems reasonable
it's in the wash water too. Most drain systems aren't that sensitive
to it. But if you have one that is marginal, seems that lint from
the washer could foul it up.
I have three washers for 21 apartments and all three washers ultimately drain into the same drain pipe and I've never had that drain clog. Maybe it's because that drain pipe connects to the main (6 inch diameter) drain line from the building, and it would take a lot more than lint to clog that line.

I'm just surprised that the lint wouldn't be carried by the water, even if the water is moving slowly, for far enough to reach the main sewer line. Perhaps this is something that only concerns septic tanks... I dunno.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:
trader_4;3245623 Wrote:

[...]

So I assume you don't have a lint trap on the drain hose of any of those
washers. Perhaps you should give it a try just to see. I think you'd be
surprised how much lint is produced from each load of wash. I'm not saying
it has to be cleaned after every wash but there is a fair amount produced
each time.

I stopped using the end-of-hose mesh style traps because of the problems I
had when they did eventually get filled up. The pump on my front loader is
pretty powerful. When the lint trap would get filled up, the water would
start shooting out of the trap in all directions. Most of those directions
were not down into the utility sink. Eventually it would blow the trap off
of the hose where it would then often block the sink drain. The front
loader doesn't use enough water to overflow even one side of the double
utility sink, but the spray from the filled trap got the floor and walls
wet and then I had to reach into the dirty water to find the trap and
retrieve it.

Now that I used the plastic in-the-drain filter, those problems are
eliminated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 04:05:03 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

nestork wrote:
trader_4;3245623 Wrote:

I've never had a problem with lint clogging a drain line, but it seems
reasonable that a fair amount of lint would go down the drain. Just
look at the lint screen in a typical dryer. That frequently has a lot
of lint after just one use. If lint is in the dryer, seems reasonable
it's in the wash water too. Most drain systems aren't that sensitive
to it. But if you have one that is marginal, seems that lint from
the washer could foul it up.

I'm just surprised that the lint wouldn't be carried by the water, even
if the water is moving slowly, for far enough to reach the main sewer
line. Perhaps this is something that only concerns septic tanks... I
dunno.

This woudn't be an issue for me but I have a check valve in the laundry
sink drain pipe. And I think it would take only a tiny bit of lint
near the hinge, or a little more away from the hinge, to keep the valve
from shutting completey. As I've said a few times over the years, I
need the check valve because sometimes the stream rises higher than the
manhole covers near the stream, the stream fills the sewer and the sewer
backs up into my basement and the 3 townhouses next to mine, which are
the lowest houses in the n'hood.

Indeed, the first time after I installed the check valve that the water
got this high, it was entering the sink fast, and I had to go to plan 3
which was a rubber stopper, and a piece of heavy picture frame shoved
between the stopper and a shelf above the sink, screwed to the shelf
braket which is screwed to the wall. the shelf has maybe 40 pounds of
things on it. Now that stopped the water.

Once I forgot to put the stopper in, and even then only about 16 oz. of
water got on the floor, which seems to me to mean that the check valve
does work somewhat.

But the newest problem is that after 25 years, the rubber stopper seems
to have gotten smaller, or the drain hole bigger. The stopper was
firmly jambed in place when the sink overflowed, and on aother occasion,
I could see water coming out around the edge of the stopper. It's
frustrating knowing there's nothing I can do except try to start a
continous siphon to the sump pump sump.

I bought another stopper and it seemed smaller, and I've bought two more
but haven't tried them yet.

Or maybe I should wrap the old stopper with something? Saran wrap?
Deerskin?

So I assume you don't have a lint trap on the drain hose of any of those
washers. Perhaps you should give it a try just to see. I think you'd be
surprised how much lint is produced from each load of wash. I'm not saying
it has to be cleaned after every wash but there is a fair amount produced
each time.

I stopped using the end-of-hose mesh style traps because of the problems I
had when they did eventually get filled up. The pump on my front loader is
pretty powerful. When the lint trap would get filled up, the water would
start shooting out of the trap in all directions. Most of those directions
were not down into the utility sink. Eventually it would blow the trap off
of the hose

LOL

where it would then often block the sink drain.

LOL

The front
loader doesn't use enough water to overflow even one side of the double
utility sink, but the spray from the filled trap got the floor and walls
wet and then I had to reach into the dirty water to find the trap and
retrieve it.

Pardon me for laughing

Now that I used the plastic in-the-drain filter, those problems are
eliminated.

I may get one of those. Priority now is to fid a stopper that fits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Or maybe I should wrap the old stopper with something? Saran wrap?
Deerskin?

Condoms - used & re-vulcanized

--
Tekkie