Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default any washing machines that still pump water through a lint filter?

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 9:13:07 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
philo wrote:
On 01/19/2015 08:40 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
philo wrote:
On 01/19/2015 06:08 PM, danny burstein wrote:
Back in Ye Good Olde Daize we had a clothes washer which
would take water from the tub and pump it back over the
top of the clothes, passing through a lint filter (looked
a bit like a shoe shine brush).

And the filter certainly trapped lots of stuff. We had
to clean it each use.

Oh, and it also made sure that the clothes got wet
instead of sticking out on top of the water..

This is such an obviously useful system that, of course,
I can't find any washing machines out there that
still do this.

Anyone have a pointer to such a unit? I'm getting
really tired of seeing, for example, leaf fragments
hanging onto my shirts...

Thanks

I remember that when I was a kid, my mom had one...and it would sure
make sense especially in places with water shortages.

I don't know of any machines today that will do that...but there are
plenty of videos on-line that show you how to re-use water...I did
not see any particularly good ones though

You missed his point . The machine would pump water over the lint
filter while agitating , had nothing to do with saving water . Had
everything to do with getting lint out of your clothes . I suspect
the reason this is no longer done is because now dryers do that .
Except we don't have one , we line dry our clothes . And they often
have lint on them that needs to be gotten off before she will wear
them . I couldn't care less if there's a little lint .

The OP said it would take water "out of the tub"

which implied to me that it was the water-saver variety

since AFAIK they no longer make those washers, no lint filter is
needed as clean fresh water is used with every cycle.

That said, no matter how well you wash the clothes there is always
bound to be at least some lint produced while drying (at least with
cotton)

And still you miss the point . It was pumping water from the tub , across
the lint filter and back into the tub .

That's what I understood it to mean.

Most automatic washers have always
used fresh water for every cycle - though I remember a machine my mother had
back in the 50's that would pump the wash water into a separate tub then
back into the machine for subsequent loads . Though why on earth would
anyone want to use dirty water to wash their clothes has always escaped me .

--
Snag

Agree. I've never seen a machine that used anything but clean water.