Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Cans

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay
most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping
a piece of plastic to cost that much

Posted to alt.home.repair

People can ask what they want, doesn't mean anybody is buying them, especially given that shipping will take a few days (or more, if the seller's a crook and waits for the supply to stabilize before sending).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, well. I had a couple vintage metal gas cans, I found on the curb. A
couple years ago, I gave them to a friend who has a repair garage. I'll
suggest he ebay them off.

Note, it's not legal to send through the US mail anything that has held
gasoline, ever. I got my shipment refused, when I tried to mail a carburetor
that hadn't had gasoline in it, in several years.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Diamond" wrote in message
eb.com...

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay
most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping
a piece of plastic to cost that much

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Nov 2012 21:36:38 GMT, "Diamond" wrote:

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay
most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping
a piece of plastic to cost that much

Just about everything on ebay is overpriced these days. I quit using
ebay at least 5 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 17:59:34 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Oh, well. I had a couple vintage metal gas cans, I found on the curb. A
couple years ago, I gave them to a friend who has a repair garage. I'll
suggest he ebay them off.

Note, it's not legal to send through the US mail anything that has held
gasoline, ever. I got my shipment refused, when I tried to mail a carburetor
that hadn't had gasoline in it, in several years.

I've sent and received several carburetors via priority mail. Maybe
you answered the question wrong when they asked what was in teh
box....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Nov 2012 21:36:38 GMT, "Diamond" wrote:

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay
most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping
a piece of plastic to cost that much

Maybe there are cheaper also?

Once they had a Kodak digital camera at an odd-lots store (Ollies) for
50 dollars, reconditioned. I checked what the price on line was and
found new ones for as low as 70, or maybe 50, and reconditioned ones
for as much as 150. Very same model and color and accesories.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Honesty is seldom wrong.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message

I've sent and received several carburetors via priority mail. Maybe
you answered the question wrong when they asked what was in teh
box....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Nov 2012 21:36:38 GMT, "Diamond" wrote:

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay
most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping
a piece of plastic to cost that much

Just about everything on ebay is overpriced these days. I quit using
ebay at least 5 years ago.

Check the prices on the old "schick"razors?

--
I wonder:

Do Europeans, outside Southeast Europe, know the meaning of aman?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2012 3:36 PM, Diamond wrote:

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay
most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping
a piece of plastic to cost that much

They may be reflecting the fact that a major gas
can maker in NE Oklahoma just went out of business.
They were supposedly making a large percentage of
the gas cans in the US.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Diamond" wrote in message
eb.com...

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay
most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping
a piece of plastic to cost that much
--

I did a quick internet search of some stores around here (middle of NC) and
they are about $ 17 to $ 20 for a 5 gallon plastic can. That is still way

Maybe it has to do with getting the things certified for some kind of
government regulations on not emitting any vapors or some such foolishness.
All I know is I spill a lot of gas out of that new type spout while trying
to fill up my weedeater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Diamond" wrote in message
eb.com...

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay
most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping
a piece of plastic to cost that much

I have been finding some very good metal cans, including Safety Cans, and US
Military Jerry cans at yard sales. I have just about replaced every crappy
plastic one. I got a nice 2 gallon red one the other day that has the cap
and rubber pour spout with insert, and nice paint for $1. Got two military
ones for $5 WITH flexible spouts. No rust.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:26:59 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I did a quick internet search of some stores around here (middle of NC)
and they are about $ 17 to $ 20 for a 5 gallon plastic can.

Same out here in Silicon Valley for the ubiquitous CARB-approved
Blitz five-gallon gas cans.

All of a sudden, the price seems to have jumped five bucks!

BTW, I HATE the nozzles on these new fangled five-gallon gas cans.
You can't pour five gallons into a vehicle anyway (too high up),
so, I siphon into a car.

Since I never use the nozzle that comes with the gas can,
I wonder if you guys know of a CAP that I can use to replace
the nozzle.

Any ideas where to find a replacement cap for my five-gallon
Blitz plastic gasoline cans?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:46:10 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Got two military
ones for $5 WITH flexible spouts. No rust.

Do they have a date? (maybe from WWII)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D." wrote in message
BTW, I HATE the nozzles on these new fangled five-gallon gas cans.
You can't pour five gallons into a vehicle anyway (too high up),
so, I siphon into a car.

Since I never use the nozzle that comes with the gas can,
I wonder if you guys know of a CAP that I can use to replace
the nozzle.

Any ideas where to find a replacement cap for my five-gallon
Blitz plastic gasoline cans?

There are some interisting vidios on youtube about the gas cans. Start
looking here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnw...eature=related

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Got two military
ones for $5 WITH flexible spouts. No rust.

Do they have a date? (maybe from WWII)

I've mentioned this befo

While foraging through the neighborhood the evening before heavy trash day,
I scored a military jerry can.

Getting it home, I discovered the following stenciled on the bottom:

III Army
Sept 44

Maybe my humble jerry can helped George Patton liberate Bastonge. I like to
think so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have some 5 gallon gas cans that happen to use the same sort of lid
on a briggs and stratton mower, I swapped them by mistake.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
I have some 5 gallon gas cans that happen to use the same sort of lid
on a briggs and stratton mower, I swapped them by mistake.......

Fellow at work swapped his like that also.

His mower would run about enough to make one lap around his yard and would
cut off. He could get it started and make another lap. At work he asked
why and we told him to checkthe vent hole in his gas cap. The next day he
told us that he had swapped the two lids. The gas can cap did not have the
hole in it like the mower cap.

Did you have trouble running you mower after the swap ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:16:06 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message
I have some 5 gallon gas cans that happen to use the same sort of lid
on a briggs and stratton mower, I swapped them by mistake.......

Fellow at work swapped his like that also.

His mower would run about enough to make one lap around his yard and would
cut off. He could get it started and make another lap. At work he asked
why and we told him to checkthe vent hole in his gas cap. The next day he
told us that he had swapped the two lids. The gas can cap did not have the
hole in it like the mower cap.

Did you have trouble running you mower after the swap ?

I have never swapped caps by mistake, but a clogged mower cap vent
will run just as you say - off and on.* Happened to me before.
Pressure developed and prevents fuel delivery to the carb. I use a
paperclip to punch the vent hole clear.

* Loosen the cap 1/4 turn and the engine runs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:54:30 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

They are bankrupt because they got sued into bankruptcy. Some moron was
pouring gasoline on a fire out of a 5 gallon can, it went up and he sued
Blitz.

Why should we then have to pay for that moron to become fabulously
wealthy, if a bit disfigured?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:50:42 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

Sound goods. Any tips on where to start looking?

Any place where a lot of lawn care or boat guys drive.

Midnight Auto Parts worked well for folks when I lived in Brooklyn NY in
the 70's.

All you need is a black hat and gloves and slippers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/12/2012 01:59 PM, Ann R. wrote:

[snip]

The guy is right. The 5-gallon Blitz gas cans are unusable!

It's easier if you have three hands :-)

[snip]

--
43 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM).

"God; (he's) my favorite fictional character." Homer Simpson
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Gill wrote:
On 11/11/2012 3:36 PM, Diamond wrote:

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay
most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping
a piece of plastic to cost that much

They may be reflecting the fact that a major gas
can maker in NE Oklahoma just went out of business.
They were supposedly making a large percentage of
the gas cans in the US.

Bill

I was reading cans today. Kmart has Illinois made units. I bought one blue
water container, haha. I'm going to fill with kerosene. Walmart does not
have water or kerosene cans. I saw a yellow diesel can in kmart.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
Bill Gill wrote:
On 11/11/2012 3:36 PM, Diamond wrote:

I can't believe the prices for gas-cans on Ebay
most of 5-gallon cans are up to$50.00 plus shipping
a piece of plastic to cost that much

They may be reflecting the fact that a major gas
can maker in NE Oklahoma just went out of business.
They were supposedly making a large percentage of
the gas cans in the US.

Bill

I was reading cans today. Kmart has Illinois made units. I bought one blue
water container, haha. I'm going to fill with kerosene. Walmart does not
have water or kerosene cans. I saw a yellow diesel can in kmart.

Greg

My blue kerosene can, which my supermarket gas station gave me for free one
day, because I needed water for my car. Customer appreciation write off.
They let me fill it with water. After putting kerosene in it, I found the o
ring broke in the cap. Now when I pour, it comes out the cap and nozzle.
Stuff all over the place, and the nozzles screwed up too. The blue water
container, will serve me and my hand pump well. Why are water cans also
blue?

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Constitutional Conservatives, we should not. According to
America and business hating liberals, any chance to sue the rich white evil
capitalists is a victory for the proletariat.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"AZ" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:54:30 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

They are bankrupt because they got sued into bankruptcy. Some moron was
pouring gasoline on a fire out of a 5 gallon can, it went up and he sued
Blitz.

Why should we then have to pay for that moron to become fabulously
wealthy, if a bit disfigured?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AZ" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:54:30 -0500, gfretwell wrote:

They are bankrupt because they got sued into bankruptcy. Some moron was
pouring gasoline on a fire out of a 5 gallon can, it went up and he sued
Blitz.

Why should we then have to pay for that moron to become fabulously
wealthy, if a bit disfigured?

My BIL wanted to set a BIG pile of limbs on fire. Not sure WTF he was
thinking, but I would have used a half a newspaper, or half a roll of paper
towels, and some small branches and leaves. But no, genius BIL uses
gasoline. When he touched it off, he was standing in the middle of a vapor
cloud. You know the rest. Lucky puke didn't lose much face tissue, sorry
to say. But the rest of him sure got flash fried.

He at least had the pride and dignity not to sue. Believe he thought that
the suit would go nowhere. But there are ambulance chasers out there who
will file ANYTHING, knowing that they will be paid SOMETHING just to go
away, of which they get 33%.

We NEED to return to an era of common sense with these tort actions, but we
will not, now that we are a world of liberals, and producing new ones each
day. It's easier to live when it's always someone else's fault.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

The best source for caps and old style nozzles are cans you see on the
side of the road. Usually they have been run over and the can itself
is trash but there is a good chance the cap survived.

Durn fine tip. Thanks.

We did a HOA inspection a couple of days ago. There was a NEW plastic
oilpan that holds what you drain out of your engine. It was in the
dumpster. I dove in, and recovered it. The cap was crunched, but the rest
of it was new. Amazing what people toss.

Also, an old Cosco kitchen step stool with fold out step, probably from the
50's or 60's. I am going to strip it, and repaint, and it will sure look
nice in my kitchen.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fire starters / Gas Cans

So, how do you start a fire with diesel and dryer lint? I can't quite
envision that. Do you take two clumps of diesel lint, and rub them together?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:40:59 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

My BIL wanted to set a BIG pile of limbs on fire. Not sure WTF he was
thinking, but I would have used a half a newspaper, or half a roll of paper
towels, and some small branches and leaves. But no, genius BIL uses
gasoline.

A great fire starter is diesel fuel and dryer lint. A little dab of
diesel will do it, slow hot burning and no flash fire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

A great fire starter is diesel fuel and dryer lint. A little dab of
diesel will do it, slow hot burning and no flash fire.

Certainly better than a gallon of unleaded. I did that once on a hunting
trip when I was about 16. Poured some Coleman fuel on some wood, and tossed
a match. I got back about six or eight feet. It was amazing how far the
fumes crawled along the ground. I still remember the inverted mushroom.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:01:36 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

wrote

A great fire starter is diesel fuel and dryer lint. A little dab of
diesel will do it, slow hot burning and no flash fire.

Certainly better than a gallon of unleaded. I did that once on a hunting
trip when I was about 16. Poured some Coleman fuel on some wood, and tossed
a match. I got back about six or eight feet. It was amazing how far the
fumes crawled along the ground. I still remember the inverted mushroom.

When we were clearing trees and brush for a ski slope in the 60's we
would take a tractor tire, lay it on its side and add 4-5 gallons of
fuel oil.

Pile brush on to a height of 4-5 feet, and 10-20 around. Then we'd
pour some gas over the tire and make a 'fuze' about 10 feet long with
gas. Done right, on a calm day, with a little extra gas on the
tire, you could lift the whole brush pile a foot or two in the air.

No one ever lost an eyebrow-- and amazingly enough we never started
any forest fires.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 9:37*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:01:36 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

wrote

[...]

Several years ago I went on my annual 'burn the brush piles'
expedition. Several
piles as big as you describe but as high as I could pile brush. I
was clear cutting a Willow patch so all hte brush was from the current
year and hard to start.

Method was to try to tunnel in as far as I could, some newsprint, some
good dry kindling then deisel poured on the pile above it and keep
adding diesel as the fire died down until the brush was going well..
I was working on 4 piles that day going from one to another in
rotation adding the diesel.

Pour from 5 gallon can, Whoosh! and on to the next. Never gave it a
thought that that "Whoosh!" is not what diesel does. About the 3rd go
around I looked down and saw a flame flickering from the can spout,
slapped my glove over it and took a break until the shakes quit. I
had grabbed the gas can instead of the dieel.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's why they're color-coded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 1:24*am, AZ wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:54:30 -0500, gfretwell wrote:
They are bankrupt because they got sued into bankruptcy. Some moron was
pouring gasoline on a fire out of a 5 gallon can, it went up and he sued
Blitz.

Why should we then have to pay for that moron to become fabulously
wealthy, if a bit disfigured?

It is sue every/anyone America where no-one takes responsibility for
their own actions.
Lawyers encourage this.
Unfortunately spreading over here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 5:37*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:01:36 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

wrote

[...]

You might like this one then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bw2C_XR64Y
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like a near death experience.
Twelve weeks in the burn ward is no fun.

I'm thankful that [diety of your choice]
protected you.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Harry K" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 10:45*pm, wrote:
That's why they're color-coded.

Tru but I am reactionary and label the diesel can. Now I have to work
on reading the label.

BTW teh problem with the new EPA cans slow pour is to vent the can.
Small hole, screw and done. Tell the EPA they can look me up for a
demo.

Harry K.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many questions have more then one correct answer.

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 05:37:42 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Honesty is seldom wrong.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
.. .

I've sent and received several carburetors via priority mail. Maybe
you answered the question wrong when they asked what was in teh
box....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Steve B:
I have been finding some very good metal cans, including Safety Cans, and US
Military Jerry cans at yard sales. I have just about replaced every crappy
plastic one. I got a nice 2 gallon red one the other day that has the cap
and rubber pour spout with insert, and nice paint for $1. Got two military
ones for $5 WITH flexible spouts. No rust.

I fell out of love with steel cans after a 1-gallon can of lawn
mower gas rusted out around the bottom seam - allowing gasoline
to leak out over the floor.

It also validated my practice of always having a separate
building for combustibles and toxics.
--
Pete Cresswell

First cans now bagels Michael Koblic Metalworking 13 December 10th 09 02:18 PM
Old paint cans Missy R. Home Ownership 3 December 15th 06 11:08 PM
oil cans?? fred Metalworking 12 March 5th 06 05:39 PM
what are tin cans, really? Grant Erwin Metalworking 8 April 11th 05 02:40 AM
R15 (old) Car Freon Cans (1-2) lcoe Metalworking 23 August 8th 03 12:48 AM