Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Gas Cans

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:16:06 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message
I have some 5 gallon gas cans that happen to use the same sort of lid
on a briggs and stratton mower, I swapped them by mistake.......

Fellow at work swapped his like that also.

His mower would run about enough to make one lap around his yard and would
cut off. He could get it started and make another lap. At work he asked
why and we told him to checkthe vent hole in his gas cap. The next day he
told us that he had swapped the two lids. The gas can cap did not have the
hole in it like the mower cap.

Did you have trouble running you mower after the swap ?

I have never swapped caps by mistake, but a clogged mower cap vent
will run just as you say - off and on.* Happened to me before.
Pressure developed and prevents fuel delivery to the carb. I use a
paperclip to punch the vent hole clear.

* Loosen the cap 1/4 turn and the engine runs.