Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K[_2_] Harry K[_2_] is offline

Default Gas Cans

On Nov 14, 9:37*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:01:36 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

wrote

A great fire starter is diesel fuel and dryer lint. A little dab of
diesel will do it, slow hot burning and no flash fire.

Certainly better than a gallon of unleaded. *I did that once on a hunting
trip when I was about 16. *Poured some Coleman fuel on some wood, and tossed
a match. *I got back about six or eight feet. *It was amazing how far the
fumes crawled along the ground. *I still remember the inverted mushroom.

When we were clearing trees and brush for a ski slope in the 60's we
would take a tractor tire, lay it on its side and add 4-5 gallons of
fuel oil.

Pile brush on to a height of 4-5 feet, and 10-20 around. * * Then we'd
pour some gas over the tire and make a 'fuze' about 10 feet long with
gas. * * *Done right, on a calm day, with a little extra gas on the
tire, you could lift the whole brush pile a foot or two in the air.

No one ever lost an eyebrow-- and amazingly enough we never started
any forest fires.

Jim

Several years ago I went on my annual 'burn the brush piles'
expedition. Several
piles as big as you describe but as high as I could pile brush. I
was clear cutting a Willow patch so all hte brush was from the current
year and hard to start.

Method was to try to tunnel in as far as I could, some newsprint, some
good dry kindling then deisel poured on the pile above it and keep
adding diesel as the fire died down until the brush was going well..
I was working on 4 piles that day going from one to another in
rotation adding the diesel.

Pour from 5 gallon can, Whoosh! and on to the next. Never gave it a
thought that that "Whoosh!" is not what diesel does. About the 3rd go
around I looked down and saw a flame flickering from the can spout,
slapped my glove over it and took a break until the shakes quit. I
had grabbed the gas can instead of the dieel.

Harry K