Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Gas Cans

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:01:36 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

wrote

A great fire starter is diesel fuel and dryer lint. A little dab of
diesel will do it, slow hot burning and no flash fire.

Certainly better than a gallon of unleaded. I did that once on a hunting
trip when I was about 16. Poured some Coleman fuel on some wood, and tossed
a match. I got back about six or eight feet. It was amazing how far the
fumes crawled along the ground. I still remember the inverted mushroom.

When we were clearing trees and brush for a ski slope in the 60's we
would take a tractor tire, lay it on its side and add 4-5 gallons of
fuel oil.

Pile brush on to a height of 4-5 feet, and 10-20 around. Then we'd
pour some gas over the tire and make a 'fuze' about 10 feet long with
gas. Done right, on a calm day, with a little extra gas on the
tire, you could lift the whole brush pile a foot or two in the air.

No one ever lost an eyebrow-- and amazingly enough we never started
any forest fires.

Jim