Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basic advice for an oven bake element house fire (GE JBP24B0B4WH)

The top element of my 6-year-old General Electric GE JBP24B0B4WH oven went
on electrical fire and the top bake element broke open when the fire
department put it out.

Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

I need advice since this is the first time my oven went on fire all by
itself.

The fire department said replace the oven.

Coworkers told me I can just replace the burned out top bake oven element.
Whose advice should I follow?

Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't food)?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 21:47:47 -0700, Donna Ohl wrote:
Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't food)?

I have a whole bunch of questions I hope you can help me answer.

Q1: What caused the whoosh sound when the GE oven fire first started?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845898/

Q2: How does a broken oven heating element cause a fire anyway?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845892/

Q3: Why is the GE oven heating element all blistered in the fire spot?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845900/

Q4: Why didn't the fire go out when I turned off the oven switch?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845890/

Q5: Should I replace the heating element or replace the oven?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845896/

Q6: Where can I find a replacement upper bake heating element?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll let others get into your questions, but the upper element is the
"broil" element. On some ovens with a "preheat" feature the broil element
will also come on to help bring the oven to the "bake" temperature you have
set more quickly, at which time the broil element will shut off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 07 Oct 2008 10:10:56p, PanHandler told us...

I'll let others get into your questions, but the upper element is the
"broil" element. On some ovens with a "preheat" feature the broil
element will also come on to help bring the oven to the "bake"
temperature you have set more quickly, at which time the broil element
will shut off.

Some ovens, including GE IIRC, cycle the broil element while on the "bake"
setting, not just to preheat.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 10(X)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 6dys 1hrs 44mins
My watch stopped. I think I'm down a
quartz. --George Carlin

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
On Tue 07 Oct 2008 10:10:56p, PanHandler told us...

I'll let others get into your questions, but the upper element is the
"broil" element. On some ovens with a "preheat" feature the broil
element will also come on to help bring the oven to the "bake"
temperature you have set more quickly, at which time the broil element
will shut off.

Some ovens, including GE IIRC, cycle the broil element while on the "bake"
setting, not just to preheat.

Wasn't aware of that. My 6 month old Frigidaire doesn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 00:13:06 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Just replace the element. I wonder if those firemen replace their car when
a headlamp burns out? Hmmmmmmmmm

I was hoping I could replace the element!

I'm not sure if it's a bake element or a broil element but it's the top
element as shown in this picture ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl ).

Do you have any idea what caused the fire?

I'm confused because, if an element is just a resistor, opening it would
just cause it to stop heating. But even with the oven switch turned off,
the fire was still going until the fire department closed the oven door and
shut off the electricity to the house.

What caused the fire?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 00:38:04 -0500, PanHandler wrote:

Some ovens, including GE IIRC, cycle the broil element while on the "bake"
setting, not just to preheat.

Wasn't aware of that. My 6 month old Frigidaire doesn't.

I thought it was bake but I can easily be wrong. It's certainly the upper
heating element though, as can be seen by this picture.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

Do you know WHERE to buy the upper element for the GE JBP24B0B4WH?

The General Electric http://www.geappliances.com/ web page doesn't even
list my six-year-old oven model

Here is where I looked for GE oven element parts:
http://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/parts/

Do you know where I can find the part number for the GE JBP24B0B4WH oven
heater upper element?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 7, 11:47*pm, Donna Ohl wrote:
The top element of my 6-year-old General Electric GE JBP24B0B4WH oven went
on electrical fire and the top bake element broke open when the fire
department put it out.

Pictures athttp://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

I need advice since this is the first time my oven went on fire all by
itself.

The fire department said replace the oven.

Coworkers told me I can just replace the burned out top bake oven element..
Whose advice should I follow?

Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't food)?http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/

What caught fire its all metal. Google to see if those have a record
of catching fire. Replacing the element wont make it safe that is not
the cause, or what burned, you have to take it apart to find the
cause. For most it would not be worth the trouble. With a fire there
is likely hidden wiring that is fried.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Donna Ohl wrote:
The top element of my 6-year-old General Electric GE JBP24B0B4WH
oven
went on electrical fire and the top bake element broke open when the
fire department put it out.

Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

I need advice since this is the first time my oven went on fire all
by
itself.

The fire department said replace the oven.

Coworkers told me I can just replace the burned out top bake oven
element. Whose advice should I follow?

Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't food)?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/

If the oven caused a fire severe enough to justify calling the fire
department then replace the oven, it's not safe. And have someone who
knows what he's doing do the replacement to make sure that the
replacement is installed properly and doesn't start another fire.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Donna Ohl" wrote in message
The top element of my 6-year-old General Electric GE JBP24B0B4WH oven went
on electrical fire and the top bake element broke open when the fire
department put it out.

Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

I need advice since this is the first time my oven went on fire all by
itself.

The fire department said replace the oven.

Coworkers told me I can just replace the burned out top bake oven element.
Whose advice should I follow?

Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't food)?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/

I would contact GE regarding this. There may be a history of problems with
this oven or a recall. Look in your yellow pages or online for appliance
parts. The oven is not that old so I would think that parts are still
available. Have you contacted your homeowners insurance company? The oven
may be covered.

Without taking the oven apart it is difficult to assess what other parts may
have been damaged from the fire. It is possible that the wiring for the
stove top burners got damaged. I vote for a new stove and a different model
as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 1:50*am, Donna Ohl wrote:
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 00:13:06 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Just replace the element. *I wonder if those firemen replace their car when
a headlamp burns out? *Hmmmmmmmmm

I was hoping I could replace the element!

The element is replaceable and available online. Google appliance
parts. However, whether that's the only problem and the only thing
that needs to be repaired depends on what else may have been damaged
as a result of what happened.

I'm not sure if it's a bake element or a broil element but it's the top
element as shown in this picture (http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl).

It's the upper element, which is commonly referred to as the broil
element. However, some ovens may use it to pre-heat or cycle it
during bake, etc. too.

Do you have any idea what caused the fire?

What exactly was burning in the fire? If the element failed, I could
see it getting very hot, arcing, maybe some small flames around the
element itself. But beyond that, for there to be any substantial
fire, you need a fuel source.

I'm confused because, if an element is just a resistor, opening it would
just cause it to stop heating. But even with the oven switch turned off,
the fire was still going until the fire department closed the oven door and
shut off the electricity to the house.

It shouldn't have taken the fire dept to figure out to close the oven
door and cut off the electricity. Were you planning on toasting
marshmallows? And again, the question here is exactly what do you
mean by fire and what was burning?

What caused the fire?

My guess would be a failed heating element.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 07 Oct 2008 10:38:04p, PanHandler told us...

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
On Tue 07 Oct 2008 10:10:56p, PanHandler told us...

I'll let others get into your questions, but the upper element is the
"broil" element. On some ovens with a "preheat" feature the broil
element will also come on to help bring the oven to the "bake"
temperature you have set more quickly, at which time the broil element
will shut off.

Some ovens, including GE IIRC, cycle the broil element while on the

"bake"
setting, not just to preheat.

Wasn't aware of that. My 6 month old Frigidaire doesn't.

It depends on brand and model. I had a Whirlpool a few years ago that did
this. I thought it was a problem with the range, until I read further into
the owner's manual. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 10(X)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 5dys 19hrs 1mins
I don't want constructive criticism.
It's all I can do to handle
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm confused because, if an element is just a resistor, opening it would
just cause it to stop heating. But even with the oven switch turned off,
the fire was still going until the fire department closed the oven door
and
shut off the electricity to the house.

That is a darn good question. Turning the switch to off should have killed
the power just as effectively as shutting off power to the house. It did
for me when my broiler element started arcing a few months ago.

You probably only thought you had the switch off... But if you are certain
you did, then you have a bigger problem than a failed element, and it might
be prudent to replace it.

Just in general, it would be a good idea to have a fire extinquisher in the
house. We have 4. Never used them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 04:35:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

The element is replaceable and available online. Google appliance
parts.

I couldn't find the oven upper element part number at the GE site (
http://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/parts/ ).

Maybe they don't make them anymore because I couldn't even find the model
of the oven (JBP24B0B4WH) at that GE applicance parts web site.

Do you think they don't make parts for this GE jbp24bob4wh oven anymore?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What exactly was burning in the fire? If the element failed, I could
see it getting very hot, arcing, maybe some small flames around the
element itself. But beyond that, for there to be any substantial
fire, you need a fuel source.

It was all just metal.

As you can see from the pictures, the element is blistered just in one six
inch spot ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845900/ and you can
see the GE oven heating element is broken in another spot not far away (
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/ )

How could the oven element be "arcing" if it was an open circuit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:05:16 -0400, jack wrote:

Turning the switch to off should have killed
the power just as effectively as shutting off power to the house.

Hi Jack,
That's the wierd thing. Not only did turning the switch off not stop the
burning but you can see from these pictures that the oven element actually
has a half-inch gap in it.

I don't understand how this element works. If it's just a "resistor", then
why don't we get electrocuted when we touch it and how can it arc with a
half inch gap opening the 220v circuit?

And, why didn't a fuse blow? I know it's a three pronged grandfather plug
because that is what the firemen said when they yanked it out of the wall.

Does anyone know the answer to these questions?
Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

Donna Ohl wrote:
What exactly was burning in the fire? If the element failed, I could
see it getting very hot, arcing, maybe some small flames around the
element itself. But beyond that, for there to be any substantial
fire, you need a fuel source.

It was all just metal.

As you can see from the pictures, the element is blistered just in one six
inch spot ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845900/ and you can
see the GE oven heating element is broken in another spot not far away (
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/ )

How could the oven elemeent be "arcing" if it was an open circuit?

Hi,
Not open yet but cracked. It could arc. Element is easily replaceable
and even HD or Lowe will have universal type one. Just make sure get one
with same kind of connector.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:05:16 -0400, jack wrote:

Just in general, it would be a good idea to have a fire extinquisher in the
house. We have 4. Never used them.

Hi Jack,

I used up TWO of the household ABC fire extinguishers to no avail before
calling the fire department. This is a picture of the exact fire
extinguisher used (this picture is from a previous repair)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaoh...7603933515835/

I've concluded ABC fire extinguishers are useless on oven fires!

This is what the oven looked like afterward
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845896/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Donna Ohl" wrote in message
The top element of my 6-year-old General Electric GE JBP24B0B4WH oven went
on electrical fire and the top bake element broke open when the fire
department put it out.

Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

I need advice since this is the first time my oven went on fire all by
itself.

The fire department said replace the oven.

Coworkers told me I can just replace the burned out top bake oven element.
Whose advice should I follow?

Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't food)?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/

Hi,
What is definition of arcing? Current jumping across a gap. When element
is cracked(in the process of breaking up) it can arc. Just take the bad
element out and go to HD or Lowe or appliance parts store and get a
matching replacement. No brainer replacing burned out element. Just make
sure connection is good and tight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 00:13:06 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Just replace the element. I wonder if those firemen replace their car when
a headlamp burns out? Hmmmmmmmmm

Hi Steve,

I can't find the part number for the GE jbp24b0b4wh oven upper heating
element replacement.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845890/

Do you know of a good web site (GE doesn't have them even at their parts
web site http://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/parts/

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

Donna Ohl wrote:
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 00:13:06 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Just replace the element. I wonder if those firemen replace their car when
a headlamp burns out? Hmmmmmmmmm

I was hoping I could replace the element!

I'm not sure if it's a bake element or a broil element but it's the top
element as shown in this picture ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl ).

Do you have any idea what caused the fire?

I'm confused because, if an element is just a resistor, opening it would
just cause it to stop heating. But even with the oven switch turned off,
the fire was still going until the fire department closed the oven door and
shut off the electricity to the house.

What caused the fire?

Hi,
Maybe inside oven was drity(greasy)? When is the last time you cleaned
it putting it to self clean mode? Something burning and you left the
oven door open and did not cut the power off? And fireman had to do it?
No fire extinguisher in the kitchen? I have one in the kitchen and
another one in the garage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 03:30:31 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:

What caught fire its all metal. Google to see if those have a record
of catching fire. Replacing the element wont make it safe that is not
the cause, or what burned, you have to take it apart to find the
cause. For most it would not be worth the trouble. With a fire there
is likely hidden wiring that is fried.

Hi Ransley,

What irks me is I don't understand how this COULD have happened!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

I mean, it should be pretty simple, right? It's just a big resistor with
220v on one end pushing electrons through it.

Given it's such a simple circuit, I just can't comprehend how this fire can
happen. For example, there is a half-inch gap in the element as shown he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/

My question, in general, is ...

Q: How can an open resistor arc to the oven metal and how can it arc even
when the switch is turned off and why didn't it blow a fuse if it really
was shorting and what possibly could have been burning when there is
nothing flammable?

How can all this possibly happen to a simple 220v resistor circuit?
It doesn't make any sense. That's why I'm asking here for answers!

Does anyone know the theoretical answer to this question?
Donna
Posted to alt.home.repair

Donna Ohl wrote:
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:05:16 -0400, jack wrote:

Turning the switch to off should have killed
the power just as effectively as shutting off power to the house.

Hi Jack,
That's the wierd thing. Not only did turning the switch off not stop the
burning but you can see from these pictures that the oven element actually
has a half-inch gap in it.

I don't understand how this element works. If it's just a "resistor", then
why don't we get electrocuted when we touch it and how can it arc with a
half inch gap opening the 220v circuit?

And, why didn't a fuse blow? I know it's a three pronged grandfather plug
because that is what the firemen said when they yanked it out of the wall.

Does anyone know the answer to these questions?
Donna

Hi,
If you understand how welding rod works. Heating element by nautre some
times has weakest spot where usually failure occurs like you just
experienced. Weak spot having uneven resistance it can over heat and
start melting the element. It thins the spot and over time it will start
breaking up causing arcing on and off. Finally it will go open. Again if
it was grease fire ignited by the hot element... Grease does not need
electric power to burn. It'll just burn off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

element replacement.http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845890/

Do you know of a good web site (GE doesn't have them even at their parts
web sitehttp://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/parts/

Donna

Just google for appliance parts. There are plenty of them online and
they should have the element, as it's a common part. However, as
others have cautioned, based on everything you've said I would NOT
just replace the element, without checking all the wiring, switches,
etc in the oven to make sure it's safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't understand how this element works. If it's just a "resistor", then
why don't we get electrocuted when we touch it and how can it arc with a
half inch gap opening the 220v circuit?

Mine was arcing to the oven; the oven is grounded, so you have a circuit.
Mine failed at the support that holds it up, so it just went to the support.
You are right; it can't arc over a half inch gap.

You don't get electrocuted (mainly because you don't touch it when it is on)
because the oven wiring is a much better ground than you, so essentially all
the current goes down the wiring and none down you.

And, why didn't a fuse blow? I know it's a three pronged grandfather plug
because that is what the firemen said when they yanked it out of the wall.

Why would it? The fuse will only blow if it the current exceeds the rating,
and there is no reason it should have. An arc fault breaker would have
popped, but you don't put those on your stove.
Does anyone know the answer to these questions?

These questions are easy; the one I can't answer is why it didn't stop when
you turned it off.

The fire extinquisher was ineffective because nothing was going to stop it
until you cut the power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Donna Ohl" wrote in message
[...]

It may not be THAT easy. My wires only pulled out about and inch and
bolting the new element on was very difficult.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:07:54 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

What caused the fire?

Maybe inside oven was drity(greasy)? When is the last time you cleaned
it putting it to self clean mode? Something burning and you left the
oven door open and did not cut the power off? And fireman had to do it?
No fire extinguisher in the kitchen? I have one in the kitchen and
another one in the garage.

Hi Tony,
There was nothing that could burn that was inside the oven. It was clean
(it looks dirty in this picture because of all the useless ABC fire
extinguisher powder).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845890/

Looking closely at the oven element itself, it's blistered in the spot that
was "burning" (perhaps it was arcing as people said but I don't understand
how an open circuit can arc and even if it did why didn't it blow the 220v
fuse?).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845892/

I had two fire extinguishers in the kitchen (notice the burned teapot on
the top of the stove ... I'm rather forgetful and burn a lot of things
down). The ABC fire extinguisher was useless on this electrical fire.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaoh...7603933515835/

I would NOT recommend an ABC fire extinguisher for an electrical fire for
anyone ever. It didn't do a thing. Neither did turning off the oven switch.
The only thing that stopped it was when the firemen turned off the power t
the house.

What I'm trying to find is someone who UNDERSTANDS HOW this could have
possibly happened? It just doesn't make sense that an open circuit (see the
break here http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/) could
possibly arc even after the switch is turned off?

And, why didn't the fuse blow (it's a three pronged grandfather plug
according to the firemen.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 10:57*am, Donna Ohl wrote:
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:05:16 -0400, jack wrote:
Turning the switch to off should have killed
the power just as effectively as shutting off power to the house. *

Hi Jack,
That's the wierd thing. Not only did turning the switch off not stop the
burning but you can see from these pictures that the oven element actually
has a half-inch gap in it.

Which could have occured at the end and then the current did stop
flowing.

I don't understand how this element works. If it's just a "resistor", then
why don't we get electrocuted when we touch it and how can it arc with a
half inch gap opening the 220v circuit?

Presumably, you don't touch it when it's on and hot to begin with.
But the actual resistive part is inside the element, so you can't
touch it.

And, why didn't a fuse blow? I know it's a three pronged grandfather plug
because that is what the firemen said when they yanked it out of the wall..

Probably because the current flow never exceed 40, 50 amps or whatever
the breaker is rated at. 10 or 12KW in a small area is a lot of
energy, but it doesn't exceed the breaker.

Does anyone know the answer to these questions?
Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

Donna Ohl wrote:

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 04:35:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

The element is replaceable and available online. Google appliance
parts.

I couldn't find the oven upper element part number at the GE site (
http://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/parts/ ).

Maybe they don't make them anymore because I couldn't even find the model
of the oven (JBP24B0B4WH) at that GE applicance parts web site.

Do you think they don't make parts for this GE jbp24bob4wh oven anymore?

The "wh" at the end probably refers to color (white?). I did a search
on just "jbp24" and got lots of
hits for "Quick Clean" model........did you try a google search on the
part number?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 12:14*pm, Norminn wrote:
Donna Ohl wrote:
On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 04:35:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

The element is replaceable and available online. * Google appliance
parts. *

I couldn't find the oven upper element part number at the GE site (
http://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/parts/).

Maybe they don't make them anymore because I couldn't even find the model
of the oven (JBP24B0B4WH) at that GE applicance parts web site.

Do you think they don't make parts for this GE jbp24bob4wh oven anymore?

The "wh" at the end probably refers to color (white?). *I did a search
on just "jbp24" and got lots of
hits for "Quick Clean" model........did you try a google search on the
part number?- Hide quoted text -

You;ve figured it out. It wasn't a fire, it was the "Quick Clean"
cycle. Cleaned it out real nice with no scrubbing!
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Oct 7, 9:47*pm, Donna Ohl wrote:

Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't food)?http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/ )

Listen ditszy,

Save yourself some money and replace the entire stove. You're worrying
your pretty little head over a very common occurrance. Most broil oven
elements only last three to five years so you're lucky you got as much
as you did out of the one you have. When you turned off the heat, in
your blonde moment (probably all the time) you turned it back on or
hit the wrong dial because the arcing would have stopped then and
there.

And, the fire extinguisher didn't put out the arcing because it was
still arcing and if was the top element (broil you ditz, not bake).
Here you are spraying powder on an upside down fire. Think about it.
The powder smothers the fire only if it lands on the fire. You would
have to turn the entire oven upside down for the fire extinguisher to
work, you idiot.

As for the part numbers, your oven is a GE Spectra white. Take the WH
off the part number BTW, it stands for white. That oven has to be at
least five to ten years old so fat chance you'll ever find the part at
GE for that. If you do find it, expect to pay upwards of $70 for it
(PN WB44T10009 for the top broil and PN WB44T100010 for the bottom
bake element).

What happened is you were dumb enough to have a splat of grease on the
element, which over time weakened the steel casing which over time
melted which over time exposed the inner resistive wire which over
time moved enough to get close to the ungrounded case of the oven
which arced frightfully (for you) which then cracked when you splashed
water or fire extinguisher on it which opened the circuit which killed
the arcing.

I have no idea what the "whoosh" sound was ..... probably the air
leaving your head as you concentrated on ruining your oven.

You can replace the element for a few hundred bucks with a service
call, or, if you do it yourself, you will almost certainly drop the
wires in the back as you unscrew them off the element so that you'll
have to pay a technician a few hundred bucks to take the oven apart to
get to the wires you dropped.

Anyway, if you like, call GE and they'll confirm everything I said (I
used to work for GE by the way).
GE tech support 800-626-2005
GE customer service 800-432-2737
GE oven appliances 800-386-1215
GE appliance parts 800-626-2002
GE troubleshooting 800-626-2000
GE Spectra JBP24B0B4 upper broil element P/N: WB44T10009
GE Spectra JBP24B0B4 lower bake element P/N: WB44T10010

Respectfully yours
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

On Oct 7, 9:47*pm, Donna Ohl wrote:

Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't food)?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/ )

As for the part numbers, your oven is a GE Spectra white. Take the WH
off the part number BTW, it stands for white. That oven has to be at
least five to ten years old so fat chance you'll ever find the part at
GE for that. If you do find it, expect to pay upwards of $70 for it
(PN WB44T10009 for the top broil and PN WB44T100010 for the bottom
bake element).

Upper element from:

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSea...0548&PPStack=1

$53.70

Lower element:

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSea...0549&PPStack=1

$49.50

Both in stock for immediate delivery.

Anyway, if you like, call GE and they'll confirm everything I said (I
used to work for GE by the way).
GE tech support 800-626-2005
GE customer service 800-432-2737
GE oven appliances 800-386-1215
GE appliance parts 800-626-2002
GE troubleshooting 800-626-2000
GE Spectra JBP24B0B4 upper broil element P/N: WB44T10009
GE Spectra JBP24B0B4 lower bake element P/N: WB44T10010

Call the Repair Clinic guy at 800-269-2609 instead. He's a lot more
friendly.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc

wrote in
:

On Oct 7, 9:47*pm, Donna Ohl wrote:

Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't
food)?http://

www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/ )

Once you posted this:

Listen ditszy,

the worth of anything that followed was zip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Donna Ohl" wrote in message
[...]

If your in the US, your house is most likely fed 240 volts from a
transformer that is center tapped (neutral) and there is 120 volts from the
neutral to each hot and 240 volts from hot to hot. The neutral is tied to
ground in the breaker box. When the element fails, sometimes it burns
through the insulation to the outer casing which is grounded. Apparantly the
oven contol just removes one hot leg from the circuit while the other is
still connected. normally this opens the circuit and the oven is off, but if
there is a short to ground, like with the bad element, it can continue to
arc since one leg is still connected to hot and there is a short to ground.
I've seen this before when the oven control is set to off and it keeps
arcing when the element burned out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Donna Ohl" wrote in message
/

I've concluded ABC fire extinguishers are useless on oven fires!

This is what the oven looked like afterward
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845896/

Depends on what is burning. In many cases, closing the door is enough to let
it burn out safely. Or the ABC can put our your roasted chicken.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

If the oven caused a fire severe enough to justify calling the fire
department then replace the oven, it's not safe. And have someone who
knows what he's doing do the replacement to make sure that the
replacement is installed properly and doesn't start another fire.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

What would make it unsafe and un-repairable? Electric ranges are really
rather simple devices with few parts in the circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Donna Ohl wrote:
[...]

Ahem,
By Mr. Murphy's law. Respect him. Arcing can occur thru carbon trace.
How old is the thing anyway? I have all GE appliance in the house.
Only trouble I had was a thermostat going bad in ~10 years time.
Wonder you had a power surge??? You have to know what the element is
made of. There maybe some mineral component which can spark like fire
works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 22:52:00 -0400, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

What would make it unsafe and un-repairable? Electric ranges are really
rather simple devices with few parts in the circuit.

Hi Edwin,
They might be simple but I just realized there are THREE (not two) ends to
the GE Spectra JBP24B0B4 upper broil heating element WB44T10009.

See this picture please
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2926170616/

QUESTION: What is the purpose of that THIRD end of the heating element?

Do the two 120 volt hot wires go to the two ends while the neutral goes to
that third end of the broiling element loop???

Donna
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 08:12:56 -0700, Donna Ohl
wrote:

What irks me is I don't understand how this COULD have happened!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

I mean, it should be pretty simple, right? It's just a big resistor with
220v on one end pushing electrons through it.

Given it's such a simple circuit, I just can't comprehend how this fire can
happen. For example, there is a half-inch gap in the element as shown he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/

My question, in general, is ...

Q: How can an open resistor arc to the oven metal and how can it arc even
when the switch is turned off and why didn't it blow a fuse if it really
was shorting and what possibly could have been burning when there is
nothing flammable?

The short didn't draw enough current to throw the breaker; the breaker
has to be able to handle the oven with all the burners on. Your
switch didn't turn off because there was so much current being drawn
that the contacts stuck (or maybe welded) together. I'd get the oven
checked before I turned the power to it back on.