Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Hill[_2_] Chris Hill[_2_] is offline

Default Basic advice for an oven bake element house fire (GE JBP24B0B4WH)

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 08:12:56 -0700, Donna Ohl
wrote:

What irks me is I don't understand how this COULD have happened!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

I mean, it should be pretty simple, right? It's just a big resistor with
220v on one end pushing electrons through it.

Given it's such a simple circuit, I just can't comprehend how this fire can
happen. For example, there is a half-inch gap in the element as shown he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/

My question, in general, is ...

Q: How can an open resistor arc to the oven metal and how can it arc even
when the switch is turned off and why didn't it blow a fuse if it really
was shorting and what possibly could have been burning when there is
nothing flammable?

The short didn't draw enough current to throw the breaker; the breaker
has to be able to handle the oven with all the burners on. Your
switch didn't turn off because there was so much current being drawn
that the contacts stuck (or maybe welded) together. I'd get the oven
checked before I turned the power to it back on.