Posted to alt.home.repair
jack[_8_] jack[_8_] is offline

Default Basic advice for an oven bake element house fire (GE JBP24B0B4WH)

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Just replace the element. I wonder if those firemen replace their car
when a headlamp burns out? Hmmmmmmmmm

"Donna Ohl" wrote in message
The top element of my 6-year-old General Electric GE JBP24B0B4WH oven
went
on electrical fire and the top bake element broke open when the fire
department put it out.

Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

I need advice since this is the first time my oven went on fire all by
itself.

The fire department said replace the oven.

Coworkers told me I can just replace the burned out top bake oven
element.
Whose advice should I follow?

Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't food)?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/

Hi,
What is definition of arcing? Current jumping across a gap. When element
is cracked(in the process of breaking up) it can arc. Just take the bad
element out and go to HD or Lowe or appliance parts store and get a
matching replacement. No brainer replacing burned out element. Just make
sure connection is good and tight.

It may not be THAT easy. My wires only pulled out about and inch and
bolting the new element on was very difficult.