Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Basic advice for an oven bake element house fire (GE JBP24B0B4WH)

On Oct 7, 11:47*pm, Donna Ohl wrote:
The top element of my 6-year-old General Electric GE JBP24B0B4WH oven went
on electrical fire and the top bake element broke open when the fire
department put it out.

Pictures athttp://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

I need advice since this is the first time my oven went on fire all by
itself.

The fire department said replace the oven.

Coworkers told me I can just replace the burned out top bake oven element..
Whose advice should I follow?

Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't food)?http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/

What caught fire its all metal. Google to see if those have a record
of catching fire. Replacing the element wont make it safe that is not
the cause, or what burned, you have to take it apart to find the
cause. For most it would not be worth the trouble. With a fire there
is likely hidden wiring that is fried.