Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna Ohl Donna Ohl is offline

Default Basic advice for an oven bake element house fire (GE JBP24B0B4WH)

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 00:13:06 -0500, Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Just replace the element. I wonder if those firemen replace their car when
a headlamp burns out? Hmmmmmmmmm

I was hoping I could replace the element!

I'm not sure if it's a bake element or a broil element but it's the top
element as shown in this picture ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl ).

Do you have any idea what caused the fire?

I'm confused because, if an element is just a resistor, opening it would
just cause it to stop heating. But even with the oven switch turned off,
the fire was still going until the fire department closed the oven door and
shut off the electricity to the house.

What caused the fire?