Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Basic advice for an oven bake element house fire (GE JBP24B0B4WH)

Donna Ohl wrote:
The top element of my 6-year-old General Electric GE JBP24B0B4WH
oven
went on electrical fire and the top bake element broke open when the
fire department put it out.

Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl

I need advice since this is the first time my oven went on fire all
by
itself.

The fire department said replace the oven.

Coworkers told me I can just replace the burned out top bake oven
element. Whose advice should I follow?

Can I just replace the bake element (or is the oven really kaput)?
Can anyone tell me what actually caused the fire (it wasn't food)?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/

If the oven caused a fire severe enough to justify calling the fire
department then replace the oven, it's not safe. And have someone who
knows what he's doing do the replacement to make sure that the
replacement is installed properly and doesn't start another fire.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)