Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna Ohl Donna Ohl is offline

Default Basic advice for an oven bake element house fire (GE JBP24B0B4WH)

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:07:54 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

What caused the fire?

Maybe inside oven was drity(greasy)? When is the last time you cleaned
it putting it to self clean mode? Something burning and you left the
oven door open and did not cut the power off? And fireman had to do it?
No fire extinguisher in the kitchen? I have one in the kitchen and
another one in the garage.

Hi Tony,
There was nothing that could burn that was inside the oven. It was clean
(it looks dirty in this picture because of all the useless ABC fire
extinguisher powder).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845890/

Looking closely at the oven element itself, it's blistered in the spot that
was "burning" (perhaps it was arcing as people said but I don't understand
how an open circuit can arc and even if it did why didn't it blow the 220v
fuse?).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845892/

I had two fire extinguishers in the kitchen (notice the burned teapot on
the top of the stove ... I'm rather forgetful and burn a lot of things
down). The ABC fire extinguisher was useless on this electrical fire.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaoh...7603933515835/

I would NOT recommend an ABC fire extinguisher for an electrical fire for
anyone ever. It didn't do a thing. Neither did turning off the oven switch.
The only thing that stopped it was when the firemen turned off the power t
the house.

What I'm trying to find is someone who UNDERSTANDS HOW this could have
possibly happened? It just doesn't make sense that an open circuit (see the
break here http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2923845906/) could
possibly arc even after the switch is turned off?

And, why didn't the fuse blow (it's a three pronged grandfather plug
according to the firemen.)