Harry K

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...

It does seem rather odd that his fence is directly down the property
line. Isn't some sort of set-back distance usually required?

What he gonna do, Jennifer? Make the neighbor move it? This mess is carved
on stone. Or, concrete, to be precise.

Er, did I **** you off somehow?

It wouldn't be the first time a fence was moved. I actually asked
because one of my co-workers was recently complaining that his township
made him tear down his fence because it was too close to the sidewalk
and six inches too high.

Sorry to offend. (?)

That's just Dougie, Jennifer...

You're entirely right and if the OP really wants to be a prick about the
deal, that's he's recourse (if there is one) to make the other guy go to
a lot of trouble (over, imo, nothing). But, if he (OP) is so upset as
it sounds like, his choices as I see it are either a) do nothing and
seethe eventually suffering ulcers and a heart attack, b) check on
zoning/subdivision requirements and see if he can start a war legally,
or c) grow up and "live and let live".

He taked to the guy for "5 minutes about fence and color" and expected
that to have become a binding contract? With that description of the
conversation I doubt he even couched it in a form the other guy thought
was anything more than a "What ya' goin' do, eh?" kind of thing, what
less a formal request for a cooperative arrangement.

Yeah, he sounds like the neighbor from hell, a total ass. His neighbor
even didn't make him pay for his half of the fence. If he can get so
wrapped around the axle on such a minor point I am glad I don't live
next to him, I'd probably wrap a 2x4 around his head before long.

Harry K

Banty

In article , giga says...

I agree with what you guys a are saying.

But for me it's the principle. Why should he get his nice fence to match his
home? We paid good money for our homes (still paying for the home lol). He
should have been a decent man and talked to me about it. What bothers me is
I could have put mine up before he moved in. But I gave him the benefit of
the doubt and said ok lets wait for him and see what happens.

Now wait.

From *his* POV, he can look at it as, you're not putting up a fence, sitting
back and seeing if *he'll* do the expense. He could view it as being
passive-aggressive on *your* part.

Then - you come over and offer to pay half, but only if you get to pick *your*
color. Yes - your color - it's not so obvious that a fence has to 'go with' the
house color, or that brown doesn't go with your house color, or that black goes
with both house colors...

So, faced with what he may view as *your* posing and plotting to get what you
want, he thinks "heck, whatever, I'm done with this guy next door and his games,
I'll put up my fence, I'll pay for it".

Another thing I didn't mention is I'm up in Canada in the province of Quebec
where French is predominate language. I'm English and he is French so maybe
he feels this is his Province so he thinks he has more right to his own
fence than I did

Sounds like the two of y'all weren't going to come to an agreement anyway, so he
did his own thing. What else was he supposed to do

But I do understand what you guys are saying. but you don't what it feels
like till you have it done to you.

Um - I'm pretty sure most folks here live in neighborhoods have had experience
with the various compromises and give and takes and sometimes lose that life
brings in a community where people live together.

Banty

Banty

In article .com, Jennifer
says...

giga wrote:
lol
its the chicken fence (chain link fence)
they call it frost here

Unfortunately, painting one side of a chain-link fence does not sound
practical...

I would not put up a second fence, though. What he did definitely
sounds rude, but putting up a second fence will only hurt you in the
long run. Maintenance would be a real pain.

I wouldn't call it rude. He was faced with someone insisting on the fence being
his way - he disagreed. What was he to do?

It does seem rather odd that his fence is directly down the property
line. Isn't some sort of set-back distance usually required? Make
sure you check any local regulations about fence height and distance
away from property lines, if you do decide to go with a second fence.

My town allows a fence on the property line.

Gray/white/brown is actually not a bad combination... I would let it
go, if I were you. It's not worth the aggravation.

Right.

Banty

Banty

In article , meirman says...

I've seen quite a few townhouses or doubles (side by side duplexes)
where they were originally built the same, but they put roofs on
separately, in different colors even, they put different siding on, or
paint the entire house different colors. That's worse than a fence.
(Is this fence in the front yard or back?)

In fact, that's the reason townhouses now are built with all adjecent
houses different colors. Because when n'hhood were all the same
color, the neighbors would on purpose or for laziness paint or trim
with different colors. So some would be the same and some would be
different and it looked terrible. Now they are all different, so it
doesn't look bad when a given pair doesn't match.

Now whoever decided to make the houses different in the first place is very
wise. Makes a livable plan that allows for human beings, exhibiting actual
human behavior, to live together. It's the approach that everyone is supposed
to be lock-step that doesn't work.

(And what the Sam Hill is the horribly worng thing with differentiating two
attached houses in the first place??)

So far my strip is ok, with everything russet brown, but at the top of
the hill, where it was supposed to be harvest gold or something, a
half a dozen people bought paint without finding out where they were
supposed to buy it, got the wrong colors, and that strip looks
terrible. I sort of like it better when the houses are all the same
color, but having them all different colors is insurance against what
happened at the top of my hill.

Looks terrible how?

Banty

Banty

In article .com, Jennifer
says...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...

It does seem rather odd that his fence is directly down the property
line. Isn't some sort of set-back distance usually required?

What he gonna do, Jennifer? Make the neighbor move it? This mess is carved
on stone. Or, concrete, to be precise.

Er, did I **** you off somehow?

It wouldn't be the first time a fence was moved. I actually asked
because one of my co-workers was recently complaining that his township
made him tear down his fence because it was too close to the sidewalk
and six inches too high.

I'd bet pretty good money that a fencing contractor by trade would know enough
to check with the town ordinances (or whatever governing body applies) as to
what the fencing requirements and restrictions are.

In my town, we're allowed to fence on the property line.

Banty

Depending on what you were planning to put there, maybe put in a white
trellis that runs the length and as high as the fence. Then plant
rosebushes and other vine like plants

It will look white enough to blend and doing it that way you can avoid
an outright fence war.

kubie

Vic Dura

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:36:52 -0400, in alt.home.repair
Thinking of putting up second fence "giga" wrote:

he is French

Ok, there's the problem.

But seriously: Instead of a 2nd fence, how about some shrubbery?
Something that would grow as high as the fence and look nice and at
the same time screen his fence from your view.

giga

Just for your information i dont give a rats ass that i didnt pay for the
fence.

If you feel all joyous and gleeful when you save 500.00$ by not paying for
half then thats you poor man.

Explain to me now why if i put my fence up meaning i do just like he did
right? Why am i wrong and asking for a war? He put his fence up without
consenting me so why can't i do the same without conceting him. Oh yea i
will just tell him you got a free second fence since i dont want you to pay
me half for it. I waited for him to move in not to save money but to be a
good neighbour and maybe do it in a cival way. you people don't understand
the principle do you? He just ****ed me ...i could have put up my own
before he moved in very easily but i ddint out of respect for my future
neighbour but hey what i did was bend over and take it deep in the ass for
trying to be a nice guy.

This isnt a a yard to keep horses in its a small 55 feet 50 feet yard we are
close to each others homes. so therefor his brown fence is 8 feet from my
white home. looks great for his home though since his side is brown. So
again why does he get the matching fence with his house and i don't ? then
again why can't i do the same so it looks good for me and put up my own
fence?

OH YEA I REMEBER CAUSE I DIDNT PAY FOR IT HAHA. OK NOW I FEEL MUCH BETTER. I
CAN GET BACK TO JERKING OFF ON THE MONEY I SAVED FROM NOT PAYING FOR HIS
GOD UGLY BROWN FENCE AND INVITE HIM OVER TO HAVE BEERS. LOL

Then after thats done i grab a 4x4 and instead of wrapping it around your
neck i shove it up your ass.

joeway

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Jennifer" wrote in message
[...]

giga

Exactly

And him being a fencing contractor, he knows very well that if he came along
and put up his fence I would be screwed right?

The fact that the whole neighborhood around me when with a black wired fence
and he came in and put up a brown wired fence shows he already knew what he
wanted.

I didn't insist on anything or color. I simply thought we could talk about
it like good neighbors do and come up with a medium or compromise. Like I
said in my original post brown wired fence would go great with his house and
white would have gone great with mine. So why not meet in the middle and go
black? it would have gone well with both.

I don't understand why you all are telling me to kiss his ass and forget
about it. He is the one who done wrong. If anything he deserves me putting
up a second fence and then asking me why did you do that? I tell him I did
like you son ...I put my own and didn't ask you about it and hey your are
getting a free second fence that you don't have to pay me like I didn't pay
you for yours.

anyhow I don't see why you guys don't see the logic in this except for the
he ****ed you first and he didn't make you pay for it so now be a good sport
and go sit in the corner and drink your beer .

anyhow my 2 cents again.

joeway

"Banty" wrote in message
In article .com,
Jennifer
says...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Jennifer" wrote in message
[...]

giga

You damn right it's cause he is French lol

Yea thats an Option but i dont like shrubs too much.
but thats definately and option. Honestly if it wasn't for of the middle
maintenance of 2 fences this would be option number 1 for sure lol

joeway

"Vic Dura" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:36:52 -0400, in alt.home.repair
Thinking of putting up second fence "giga" wrote:

he is French

Ok, there's the problem.

But seriously: Instead of a 2nd fence, how about some shrubbery?
Something that would grow as high as the fence and look nice and at
the same time screen his fence from your view.

Edwin Pawlowski

"giga" wrote in message

The fact that the whole neighborhood around me when with a black wired
fence and he came in and put up a brown wired fence shows he already knew
what he wanted.

He likes brown better than black I guess.

I didn't insist on anything or color. I simply thought we could talk about
it like good neighbors do and come up with a medium or compromise. Like I
said in my original post brown wired fence would go great with his house
and white would have gone great with mine. So why not meet in the middle
and go black? it would have gone well with both.

If It is what you want and not what he wants it is not a compromise. He
does not like black, it seems.

I don't understand why you all are telling me to kiss his ass and forget
about it. He is the one who done wrong.

He put up a fence on his property, he did not take your money, it is his
prerogative to do that. Sorry, you have no say in the matter.

If anything he deserves me putting up a second fence and then asking me
why did you do that?

See, you do want to put up a spite fence. What is to be gained? Try
masturbating instead as it is much cheaper than getting your rocks off with
a fence.

anyhow I don't see why you guys don't see the logic in this except for the
he ****ed you first and he didn't make you pay for it so now be a good
sport and go sit in the corner and drink your beer .

The only logic is that you are ****ed off and want to retaliate. He did not
**** you, that is your perception, not anyone else's. YOU are the only one
that does not see that. You got a free fence.

Banty

In article , giga
says...

Just for your information i dont give a rats ass that i didnt pay for the
fence.

If you feel all joyous and gleeful when you save 500.00$ by not paying for
half then thats you poor man.

Explain to me now why if i put my fence up meaning i do just like he did
right? Why am i wrong and asking for a war? He put his fence up without
consenting me so why can't i do the same without conceting him. Oh yea i
will just tell him you got a free second fence since i dont want you to pay
me half for it.

Um - what's changed is that there is now a fence. Your neighbor gets no benefit
from a fence behind it. (Although he may get some amusement...)

I waited for him to move in not to save money but to be a
good neighbour and maybe do it in a cival way. you people don't understand
the principle do you?

*He* doesn't know for sure that you waited just to save money.

*You* offered to pay half, but only if you could get the color you wanted. He
decided "no deal".

He just ****ed me ...i could have put up my own
before he moved in very easily but i ddint out of respect for my future
neighbour but hey what i did was bend over and take it deep in the ass for
trying to be a nice guy.

Wow. Calm down.

Yes, you could have put in a fence, all painted white, or black, or whatever.
You didn't. Life's like that - the crystal ball hasn't been perfected. But, a
little life-experience should have informed you that whoever your neighbor would
be, he or she may or may not sign up to your color preferences.

This isnt a a yard to keep horses in its a small 55 feet 50 feet yard we are
close to each others homes. so therefor his brown fence is 8 feet from my
white home. looks great for his home though since his side is brown. So
again why does he get the matching fence with his house and i don't ? then
again why can't i do the same so it looks good for me and put up my own
fence?

It's a brown fence. Like 90% of the fences around here. White and brown seems
reasonable to me. It's not purple polka-dot. It's brown.

OH YEA I REMEBER CAUSE I DIDNT PAY FOR IT HAHA. OK NOW I FEEL MUCH BETTER. I
CAN GET BACK TO JERKING OFF ON THE MONEY I SAVED FROM NOT PAYING FOR HIS
GOD UGLY BROWN FENCE AND INVITE HIM OVER TO HAVE BEERS. LOL

Then after thats done i grab a 4x4 and instead of wrapping it around your
neck i shove it up your ass.

joeway

Wow. And you're going to now try to convince me your'e the reasonable neighbor.

Banty

Banty

In article , giga says...

Exactly

And him being a fencing contractor, he knows very well that if he came along
and put up his fence I would be screwed right?

The fact that the whole neighborhood around me when with a black wired fence
and he came in and put up a brown wired fence shows he already knew what he
wanted.

I didn't insist on anything or color. I simply thought we could talk about
it like good neighbors do and come up with a medium or compromise. Like I
said in my original post brown wired fence would go great with his house and
white would have gone great with mine. So why not meet in the middle and go
black? it would have gone well with both.

??
How is black meeting in the middle.

It still boils down to: You want black. He want brown.

Even if you would have rather gone for white, it's still your idea of the fence
color. Black was *your* idea. Only in your head is it "meeting in the middle".

I don't understand why you all are telling me to kiss his ass and forget
about it. He is the one who done wrong. If anything he deserves me putting
up a second fence and then asking me why did you do that? I tell him I did
like you son ...I put my own and didn't ask you about it and hey your are
getting a free second fence that you don't have to pay me like I didn't pay
you for yours.

anyhow I don't see why you guys don't see the logic in this except for the
he ****ed you first and he didn't make you pay for it so now be a good sport
and go sit in the corner and drink your beer .

Maybe the neighbor could tell you were the type to fly off the handle like this,
and decided that working things out iwth you wasn't going to work out in the
long run anyway.

Banty

giga

I want white he wants brown
he got his brown I now I want my own fence like he got.

so we will meet in the middle and I will put mine up too.

does that make sense or no ? he didn't compromise and get what he wanted so
now I get what I want to.

and your an idiot lol

no wait I don't know you that well to say that ..but I bet your wife does
and I bet she does lol

joeway

"Banty" wrote in message
[...]

meirman

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:27:27 -0700 Banty
posted:

[...]

I think they look worse when first built than it does when all the
houses are the same color scheme. (mine have light brown, smooth
brick for the first floor, and russet brown t1-11 for the "privacy
fence, and the second floor, and the door trims on the first floor,
and the front door. One of the reasons I bought it was that I thought
it was pretty. These are townhouses.

I think when every house is different, it doesn't look good.

Here each building includes 8 townhouses, and they are in 4 groups of
two. That is, the elevlation of the houses changes as the building
goes up a hill, and the setback changes a foot or two, but only groups
of two, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, are always the same elevation and the same
setback. They always share a roof. I think it looks terrible when
two of them can't agree and they each put on a roof, that's a
different color (apparently the HOA has no rules about roof color.)

In NYC and downtown Baltimore, the brownstones or row houses don't
come in pairs. And in a couple cases, I've seen them put on stone
siding on a brownstone while the rest of the block is still
brownstone. It looks terrible. In Baltimore, they call it formstone
(I think it was invented here) and it is very popular, but it still
looks bad when a block looks OX0XXX0XX where X is either the original
finish and O is formstone or the other way around.

So far my strip is ok, with everything russet brown, but at the top of
the hill, where it was supposed to be harvest gold or something, a
half a dozen people bought paint without finding out where they were
supposed to buy it, got the wrong colors, and that strip looks
terrible. I sort of like it better when the houses are all the same
color, but having them all different colors is insurance against what
happened at the top of my hill.

Looks terrible how?

Various versions of yellow, gold, and something I can't name that was
meant to match the original color, that all clash with each other.

Plus it was a poor choice of color in the first place, because there
is no aluminum or vinyl siding made in any color like it. (Actually,
only 2/3rd of the houses at the top of the hill are that color. I
think that row, with the 1/3 that is brown, was the first row built.
All the rest are brown.

Banty

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Banty

In article , giga says...

I want white he wants brown
he got his brown I now I want my own fence like he got.

so we will meet in the middle and I will put mine up too.

does that make sense or no ? he didn't compromise and get what he wanted so
now I get what I want to.

and your an idiot lol

no wait I don't know you that well to say that ..but I bet your wife does
and I bet she does lol

OK - let's list some of your assumptions. I think the key to this is that
you're thinking that your assumptions, concerning fences, color matching, house
colors, and, um, a couple of other things, are obvious and shared by everyone
around you.

1. That fences have to 'match' the house color.
2. That brown goes with brown stuff.
3. That white goes with white and grey stuff.
4. That black goes with both brown and white. (frankly, this one is the one
that most gets me scratching my head - ever consider that this isn't so obvious
to Mr. Frenchy-next-door either?)
5. That everyone around you would know that you waited on putting a fence in,
not to get it half paid for, but to work something out
6. That a certain poster to alt.home.repair with the net-name "Banty" has a
wife, or is even of such a gender to have a wife.

Of these, only #2 and #3 have much validity. Designers use contrasting and
complementary colors all the time, but, if you're really into matching, well, #2
and #3 are true, they match.

I can vouch personally for #6 not being true at all.

So you're going for a 30% right in your assumptions at best. Now who's the
idiot.

Banty

Banty

In article , meirman says...

[...]

This all sounds very nice, but that houses should be netral colors like that,
and that houses (even built-same townhouse duplexes) should all match is a
matter of taste.

I think when every house is different, it doesn't look good.

Your opinion.

A couple of stories:

I'm old enough to recall how the rows of built-same and painted (almost) same
Cape Cods built in Levittown, NY,right after WWII were held up as awful examples
of the Sameness of American Suburbia. Pictures of the matched rows, each with a
car in the driveway, would be plastered up as example of a social malaise that
was supposedly symptomatic of alienation of American culture. I don't subscribe
to all that, of course - decrying the (as it turns out, very temporary) sameness
as some Big Evul is just as silly IMO as blaming the lady on the corner who
painted her house pink for the downfall of the neighborhood. But, if you go
down those same streets now, what with different replacement sidings and
windows, dormers, and additions, Levittown is far from an example of stifling
sameness! And IMO it certainly doesn't look bad, nor would it look better if
they all chose the same vinyl siding limited to Beige, Sand, or Clay.

Folks who bought old Victorians and strive to restore the house to the original
condition and colors. They *think* they'll find the original color was
something on the order of - white with grey trim and touches of, maybe, deep
rose, find in the archives that their house in 1900 was purple, red, with deep
blue items of trim! Or something like that...

So this is really a matter of taste. *Why* is a set of marching houses, up the
hill, all biege brick with russett brown T1-11 supposed to be such of such
aesthetic superiority over yellow, gold, and what other variety would be decided
upon by other townhouse owners?

Surely that photo of houses on Telegraph Hill in San Fransisco that is so often
used would be left in some archive if all those houses were matching beige with
russet brown!

Banty

meirman

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 13:48:34 -0700 Banty
posted:

This all sounds very nice, but that houses should be netral colors like that,
and that houses (even built-same townhouse duplexes) should all match is a
matter of taste.

True. which might make this whole subthread moot -- I don't remember.
It might make this post moot too.

I think when every house is different, it doesn't look good.

Your opinion.

A couple of stories:

I'm old enough to recall how the rows of built-same and painted (almost) same
Cape Cods built in Levittown, NY,right after WWII were held up as awful examples
of the Sameness of American Suburbia. Pictures of the matched rows, each with a
car in the driveway, would be plastered up as example of a social malaise that
was supposedly symptomatic of alienation of American culture. I don't subscribe
to all that, of course - decrying the (as it turns out, very temporary) sameness

Neither do I but maybe for a different reason from yours. AFAIK, the
only way they could have built homes cheap enough that most of those
people could have bought one was by making them the same. It may take
a while to build the first house, and the second, but I bet it took
much less to build the ones that followed. (the particular issue here,
I don't know about, if they were the same color or not. I don't think
changing colors would be bad with free-standing houses, and it
wouldn't slow them down or wasted money much either, I think, except
for those partly used cans of paint at the very end. )

as some Big Evul is just as silly IMO as blaming the lady on the corner who
painted her house pink for the downfall of the neighborhood. But, if you go
down those same streets now, what with different replacement sidings and
windows, dormers, and additions, Levittown is far from an example of stifling
sameness! And IMO it certainly doesn't look bad, nor would it look better if
they all chose the same vinyl siding limited to Beige, Sand, or Clay.

When I lived in Brooklyn, I made a point to go see Levittown, Long
Island, just because of its fame. I went in 1980 or so.

I too noted that almost all had additions and bushes, and trees iirc.
I sort of wondered how the 5% of people with no changes 30 years
later felt.

Folks who bought old Victorians and strive to restore the house to the original
condition and colors. They *think* they'll find the original color was
something on the order of - white with grey trim and touches of, maybe, deep
rose, find in the archives that their house in 1900 was purple, red, with deep
blue items of trim! Or something like that...

So this is really a matter of taste. *Why* is a set of marching houses, up the
hill, all biege brick with russett brown T1-11 supposed to be such of such
aesthetic superiority over yellow, gold, and what other variety would be decided
upon by other townhouse owners?

The proof is in the pudding. I think if you would see this row, you
too would think it was bad. Maybe if I had a digital camera, I would
post pictures.

It's not about the individuality of the owner**. It's about 2 or 3
adjacent and proximate colors clashing. I think everyone agrees
that's possible. **In fact, it was their attempts to use the same
color, but not finding it, that caused this problem. Originally, we
all knew what company, Duron, sold the paint that matched, and what
the two colors were called. But I think no one told these people**,
and they did the best they could to match, and didn't. The brown has
become unavailable twice iirc in the past 26 years, but there is a
substitute name that seems to be the same color or at least doesn't
clash. But brown is used a lot of places so there are always a lot of
browns. This one, when they don't make it, they don't make anything
close enough. That won't stop a clerk from suggesting something,
though. He doesn't know there is another house a half inch away.

**I think no one told them they would get 10?% off if they said they
lived in this n'hood either. Easy enough to arrange, but most
homeowners wouldn't think of it if not told.

One house is sort of carrot yellow, a combination of light carrot and
the original color it seems, and another particularly clashing one I
can't remember. Each color would probably look ok if they were
farther from the others.

Surely that photo of houses on Telegraph Hill in San Fransisco that is so often
used would be left in some archive if all those houses were matching beige with
russet brown!

Arent' those free standing houses? Anyhow, they're not like my top
row (which fortunately I don't have to drive by to get in and out.
)

Banty

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Banty

In article , meirman says...

[...]

Oh sure, that they were all the same made them more affordable. Heck, the
McMansions around here all pretty much are the same (OK, different options, and
this one is stucco, that one is vinyl siding, but really, they're the SAME.)
IIRC the Levittown houses were all painted in one of four pastels.

But even the sameness is a matter of taste. All of a sudden the chic thing is
to restore a Sears catalog bungalow. Imagine - mail-order houses all the rage
if they're old enough (I do like them, BTW).

as some Big Evul is just as silly IMO as blaming the lady on the corner who
painted her house pink for the downfall of the neighborhood. But, if you go
down those same streets now, what with different replacement sidings and
windows, dormers, and additions, Levittown is far from an example of stifling
sameness! And IMO it certainly doesn't look bad, nor would it look better if
they all chose the same vinyl siding limited to Beige, Sand, or Clay.

When I lived in Brooklyn, I made a point to go see Levittown, Long
Island, just because of its fame. I went in 1980 or so.

I too noted that almost all had additions and bushes, and trees iirc.
I sort of wondered how the 5% of people with no changes 30 years
later felt.

But wait - remember the Sears calatlog bungalow! Having kept the original stuff
is now a value booster. I'm even told I shoudln't trash my barely-working 1960
cooktop and built-in oven - they're "vintage" eBay fodder.

Folks who bought old Victorians and strive to restore the house to the original
condition and colors. They *think* they'll find the original color was
something on the order of - white with grey trim and touches of, maybe, deep
rose, find in the archives that their house in 1900 was purple, red, with deep
blue items of trim! Or something like that...

So this is really a matter of taste. *Why* is a set of marching houses, up the
hill, all biege brick with russett brown T1-11 supposed to be such of such
aesthetic superiority over yellow, gold, and what other variety would be decided
upon by other townhouse owners?

The proof is in the pudding. I think if you would see this row, you
too would think it was bad. Maybe if I had a digital camera, I would
post pictures.

Maybe I would. After all, the original colors sound nice. But I dont' think
they should have to be on every house.

It's not about the individuality of the owner**. It's about 2 or 3
adjacent and proximate colors clashing. I think everyone agrees
that's possible. **In fact, it was their attempts to use the same
color, but not finding it, that caused this problem. Originally, we
all knew what company, Duron, sold the paint that matched, and what
the two colors were called. But I think no one told these people**,
and they did the best they could to match, and didn't. The brown has
become unavailable twice iirc in the past 26 years, but there is a
substitute name that seems to be the same color or at least doesn't
clash. But brown is used a lot of places so there are always a lot of
browns. This one, when they don't make it, they don't make anything
close enough. That won't stop a clerk from suggesting something,
though. He doesn't know there is another house a half inch away.

That's one of the pitfalls of defining colors. Why even have to search for ones
that "at least don't clash"? In 40 years, you'll see a sea of
sorta-mostly-matching motley looking shades of russet brown. Bleahh.

Better to set up some contrast from the get go.

Banty (OK, carrot-yellow does sound pretty crappy...)

kato

"giga" wrote in message

Another thing I didn't mention is I'm up in Canada in the province of

Quebec
where French is predominate language. I'm English and he is French so

maybe
he feels this is his Province so he thinks he has more right to his own
fence than I did

Yeah, that must be it. Or, maybe you being the English conqueror, you feel
you have the right to dictate what colour fence he has.. You got a free
fence out of the deal, now learn how to live in peace with your neighbours.

Banty

In article , kato says...

"giga" wrote in message

Another thing I didn't mention is I'm up in Canada in the province of

Quebec
where French is predominate language. I'm English and he is French so

maybe
he feels this is his Province so he thinks he has more right to his own
fence than I did

Yeah, that must be it. Or, maybe you being the English conqueror, you feel
you have the right to dictate what colour fence he has.. You got a free
fence out of the deal, now learn how to live in peace with your neighbours.

It's spelled "color", you Tory... ;-)

kato

"Banty" wrote in message
In article , kato says...

"giga" wrote in message

Another thing I didn't mention is I'm up in Canada in the province of

Quebec
where French is predominate language. I'm English and he is French so

maybe
he feels this is his Province so he thinks he has more right to his own
fence than I did

Yeah, that must be it. Or, maybe you being the English conqueror, you

feel
you have the right to dictate what colour fence he has.. You got a free
fence out of the deal, now learn how to live in peace with your

neighbours.

It's spelled "color", you Tory... ;-)

Or "couleurs" en français...for the brown fence neighboUr!

BuddyB

The old lady fart behind me put up a 2nd fence. She's a tard, anyway.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 30 Jul 2005 09:01:55 -0700 Banty
posted:

When I lived in Brooklyn, I made a point to go see Levittown, Long
Island, just because of its fame. I went in 1980 or so.

I too noted that almost all had additions and bushes, and trees iirc.
I sort of wondered how the 5% of people with no changes 30 years
later felt.

But wait - remember the Sears calatlog bungalow! Having kept the original stuff
is now a value booster. I'm even told I shoudln't trash my barely-working 1960
cooktop and built-in oven - they're "vintage" eBay fodder.

Maybe they're right. I woudl start advertising in ebay before the new
ones went in. That way if no one bites, you won't have a spare oven
and stovetop around. If the price it sells for is really high, maybe
you can spend more moeny on your new stuff.

OTOH, timing your purchase that way is hard to coordinate with sales
on the new stuff.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

meirman

In alt.home.repair on 30 Jul 2005 09:01:55 -0700 Banty
posted:

clash. But brown is used a lot of places so there are always a lot of
browns. This one, when they don't make it, they don't make anything
close enough. That won't stop a clerk from suggesting something,
though. He doesn't know there is another house a half inch away.

That's one of the pitfalls of defining colors. Why even have to search for ones
that "at least don't clash"? In 40 years, you'll see a sea of
sorta-mostly-matching motley looking shades of russet brown. Bleahh.

Better to set up some contrast from the get go.

Banty (OK, carrot-yellow does sound pretty crappy...)

I was supposed to move out when I got married and had kids. Otherwise
I like it here. At the rate I'm going, I'll be hear until I die,
which is planned for 40 years from now, as you say, when I'm 98. I
hope it doesn't look terrible, because by the time I'm 90, I won't
have the energy to pack, let alone put all the features in my new
place that I put in this one.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:29:18 -0700 Banty
posted:

In article .com, Jennifer
says...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...

It does seem rather odd that his fence is directly down the property
line. Isn't some sort of set-back distance usually required?

What he gonna do, Jennifer? Make the neighbor move it? This mess is carved
on stone. Or, concrete, to be precise.

Er, did I **** you off somehow?

It wouldn't be the first time a fence was moved. I actually asked
because one of my co-workers was recently complaining that his township
made him tear down his fence because it was too close to the sidewalk
and six inches too high.

I'd bet pretty good money that a fencing contractor by trade would know enough
to check with the town ordinances (or whatever governing body applies) as to
what the fencing requirements and restrictions are.

In my town, we're allowed to fence on the property line.

It's possible that he could put the fence on the property line , but
the edge of the sidewalk was not the property line.

In my old n'hood, the road we lived on was a main straight road, went
from 59th st. to 86th st, crossed the entire suburbs at the time. It
was 8 or 12 feet from our property line, but the previous owner had
planted trees and bushes next (to the rain culvert which was next) to
the road. A lot of owners did this, and a lot of owners put their
bushes inside the property line instead. (This also had the advantage
that one could see if a car was coming when backing out of the
driveway.)

I was back last winter for my unlce's funeral, 41 years later, and
they still haven't widened the road we lived on.

Banty

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:20:07 -0700 "Roger Taylor"
posted:

I was and still am ****ed. He put the fence right on the line of our land.
My question is has anyone seen 2 fences side by side ?

Pick your battles carefully.
This isn't one of them, and is not worth the bad blood between neighbors.
Just view it as a free fence, to hell with the color.
Grow something on it, and make it green. It is on *your* property, and you
have the right to do anything if it is truly on the line, as parts of it

I don't think so, but even if you're right, even the near edge of it
might be a quarter inch inside the neighbor's property line.

must fall on your side, eg, half the posts..
And chill out.

I wouldn't take the OP's word about where the property line is, partly
because I don't know who he bought it from and how precise that guy
is.

I have the original platt for my property, but I'm still not sure
where the lines are.

And the n'hood as a whole was built partly on the next neighborhood's
property. Rather than tear things down, the builder arranged to give
the other n'hood some unbuilt land that he actually did own. I don't
know the details, but for now, I think it was an honest mistake.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 28 Jul 2005 23:31:22 -0700 "kevin"
posted:

Yea man! Build that fence! That'll teach'em! Show him who's boss. One
foot higher -- ha! Take that. And not brown either -- WOOD -- that'll
just set the french bas**rd right. Thinkin he owns the whole damn
province. Next thing you know he'll be trying to put up his damn brown
fences around the whole territory, trying to keep us English guys out.
But no, you'll show him. Man, I can just see it. He'll just be sitting
over eating his fromage thinking, "damn, thought I had that guy right
where I wanted him -- all cornered in by a brown fence -- then he goes
and builds a WOOD fence. And on ALL SIDES too. Man he's tough. And I
though he was some kind of nice guy -- talks to me so nice an all --
then I come home and BAM, he's got his OWN fence now." Yea. Build that
second fence. Hell, why dont you build TWO fences, and really show him
you mean business. Hell, if it were me, I'd start putting up steel roll
shutters on my windows, and bricking over my doors. Guy wouldn't know
what hit him. Smack! Us english, we can wall ourselves in bettern than
a frenchman any day.

You know, the English channel wasn't an accident. The English dug it.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:09:40 -0700 Banty
posted:

Anyhow I would like to hear your opinions on this situation. and if anybody
else has been in this situation and what did they do.

Does your local laws allow you to paint your side of the fence? Look into
that...

Impossible to do a good job with chain link. Even if one covered
exactly 1/2, which would be impossible, that would only look right
when looking head on. When looking at an angle, the other color would
show, whichever side of the fence you were on. And wherever one
stands, some part of the fence will be viewed at an angle.

It will look like crap.

Of course, one of things I like about this n'hood is that chain link
fences are not permitted. Compared to wood fences, I hate them.

Banty

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Norminn

giga wrote:
Hi

I just bought a new home in a new Development. I moved in 1 month before my
neighbor on the right moved in. When I found out that the neighbors moving
in owned a fencing company I decided to wait for their home to be finished
building and for them to move in before putting up a fence. I thought once
they moved in we can discuss and talk what kind and color fence to put
between our homes. Once they moved in we talked for about 5 minutes about
what kind of a fence and color.

Now my house is Light gray brick in the front and white siding and his brown
brick and brown siding. He decided on putting up a frost or wired fence. but
he chose brown for it. For my house I think white would go perfectly. anyhow
I mentioned to him why not black this way it will go with his home and mine
since black would match his brown house too.

Brown will fade into the landscape a bit better, perhaps. In view of
the fact the neighbor was more aggressive, I would forget about it. You
can choose to make it a major issue in your life, which will only
distress you more. If you think it totally ugly, then plant a hedge to
hide it. You may be able to make the issue into a twenty year war,
since fences can cause so much conflict, but you will only harm yourself
and your family.

Anyhow not 3 days later I left for work and he put up his brown fence
anyways. I called my kids at home and told them to pass the phone to them
and told them I would not pay them anything for the fence since the color
was not what I wanted.
He said fine don't worry about it.

I was and still am ****ed. He put the fence right on the line of our land.
My question is has anyone seen 2 fences side by side ?

I am planning on putting up my own fence on every side of me now. No more
Mr. nice guy anymore. People have said to me its his house he can do
whatever he wants so therefore I am going do whatever I want too.

You are saying a thoughtless and agressive neighbor has turned you into
the same. How about going back to Mr. nice guy, remain principled and
positive. Doesn't mean be a door mat, but just choosing your battles
wisely.

SO question is has anyone seen 2 fences side by side and does it look stupid
? I was thinking of putting a wood fence 5 foot high with a mesh of a foot
on top for a total of 6 feet. his fence is 5 foot tall. This way he will
have his nice brown fence that matches his home and then see my wooden mesh
of a foot above it.

I am not at war with him. I smile and talk very polite with him. But wait
till he sees what I'm goning to install and i'm going to do it when he is at
work to.

Anyhow I would like to hear your opinions on this situation. and if anybody
else has been in this situation and what did they do.

I have neighbors who are takers, and a few who are givers. The takers
will do ANYTHING to get what they want. I've gotten the dirty end from
some of them but, given a choice, will try to remain who I am. I won't
let them turn me into one of them.

Be thankful and enjoy what you have - a brand new home. I'm glad you
posted this, because it puts a lot in perspective. And if the neighbors
install purple fences, just plant some purple flowers to coordinate and
bring them a bouquet once in a while )

thanks very much

joeway

Banty

In article , meirman says...

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 07:09:40 -0700 Banty
posted:

Anyhow I would like to hear your opinions on this situation. and if anybody
else has been in this situation and what did they do.

Does your local laws allow you to paint your side of the fence? Look into
that...

Impossible to do a good job with chain link. Even if one covered
exactly 1/2, which would be impossible, that would only look right
when looking head on. When looking at an angle, the other color would
show, whichever side of the fence you were on. And wherever one
stands, some part of the fence will be viewed at an angle.

Yeah - I wrote that before I read that it was a chain link fence.

It will look like crap.

It would.

Of course, one of things I like about this n'hood is that chain link
fences are not permitted. Compared to wood fences, I hate them.

Around here we have limitations on them - they have to stay back behind the
house. so they don't get used for property enclosures, but can still be used
for dog runs, etc.

Banty

Banty

In article , meirman says...

[...]

That's OK - your cataracts will blend in all the various versions of "russet
brown" by then ;-)

Edwin Pawlowski

"Banty" wrote in message

Around here we have limitations on them - they have to stay back behind
the
house. so they don't get used for property enclosures, but can still be
used
for dog runs, etc.

I've seen this a lot in new neighborhoods where the first thing new owners
do is put up a fence. They all look like crap, IMO. There is a fence four
houses up from me, but no others around. Kids, dogs, never a problem. I
don't see any reason for the dog in the back not to visit once in a while or
the kids from up the street. Nice too look out the back and see open
space, gardens, trees and may a few hedges as a natural boundary line. Guess
we're just lucky.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Banty

In article , Edwin Pawlowski says...

"Banty" wrote in message

Around here we have limitations on them - they have to stay back behind
the
house. so they don't get used for property enclosures, but can still be
used
for dog runs, etc.

I've seen this a lot in new neighborhoods where the first thing new owners
do is put up a fence. They all look like crap, IMO. There is a fence four
houses up from me, but no others around. Kids, dogs, never a problem. I
don't see any reason for the dog in the back not to visit once in a while or
the kids from up the street. Nice too look out the back and see open
space, gardens, trees and may a few hedges as a natural boundary line. Guess
we're just lucky.

Maybe you are.

I'd much rather the default be that dogs stay fenced. There's enough problem
with folks who allow free-ranging dogs.

With toddlers, some kind of enclosure is a good idea, IMO. Mostly the chain
link stuff is limited in scope, though - a dog run.

IMO the very commmon eyesore around here in upstate New York are above-ground
pools. I hate the sight of those things. But I'd definitely be swimming against
the tide to complain...

Banty

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:15:14 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski"
posted:

"Banty" wrote in message

Around here we have limitations on them - they have to stay back behind
the
house. so they don't get used for property enclosures, but can still be
used
for dog runs, etc.

I've seen this a lot in new neighborhoods where the first thing new owners
do is put up a fence. They all look like crap, IMO. There is a fence four
houses up from me, but no others around. Kids, dogs, never a problem. I
don't see any reason for the dog in the back not to visit once in a while or
the kids from up the street. Nice too look out the back and see open
space, gardens, trees and may a few hedges as a natural boundary line. Guess
we're just lucky.

I agree with you. And you are lucky. When I grew up in a small city
in Western Pa., no fences at al. I would walk around all the
neighbors back yards, the ones on my side of the street, about 10 of
them. Didn't get stuck until a bunch of bushes and weeds where the
street would have been if it had gone through. Until we moved when I
was 10. No one every complained. Weren't many dogs but the two
there were ran free. Mother and daughter. They both chased cars and
one was eventually killed doing that. But it was the dog's choice.

No, there were two others I rememer. One a cocker spaniel that lived
in the yard of the house behind me, not fenced in and not chained
afaicr, and one I came across a block away. It was following me so I
took it home so it could meet the first one. It got excited, jumping
up and down with its paws on my back. I don't know why. Eventually I
got a bit scared and went home, which was right there. I coudl not
see my back and my mother couldn't tell if it was a scratch or a bite,
plus the excitable nature of the dog. So she took me to a vet.
Figured he would know better than my doctor. It was a scratch. I
never saw the second dog again. I wish I knew what was going on
between the two of them. My mother, who was doggone protective,
didn't complain about the two dogs running around. That was the way it
was.

The new neigborhood was too boring to warrant looking, but we did go
through the back neighbor's yard on the way to some place. And the
dogs would run around all day, in a pack of 10 or 15, until they got
hungry and went to their various homes. Never heard of anyone being
bit.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on 31 Jul 2005 07:57:35 -0700 Banty
posted:

IMO the very commmon eyesore around here in upstate New York are above-ground
pools. I hate the sight of those things. But I'd definitely be swimming against
the tide to complain...

Banty

I agree that they are ugly. Why can't they dig a hole and put the
above ground pool in the hole!

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Banty

In article , meirman says...

In alt.home.repair on 31 Jul 2005 07:57:35 -0700 Banty
posted:

IMO the very commmon eyesore around here in upstate New York are above-ground
pools. I hate the sight of those things. But I'd definitely be swimming against
the tide to complain...

Banty

I agree that they are ugly. Why can't they dig a hole and put the
above ground pool in the hole!

The expense, the crappy clay soil around here...

Banty