john moorhead

Default Jet TS fence query

Folks -

Any Jet Cabinet Saw users/owners out there? How do y'all like the fence,
esp compared to a Bies. Amaz*n has the cab saw/router combo on sale today
for a nick over $1,600.... Feedback??

John Moorhead
Lakeport CA

Matt Zach

Hi John,
I own the Jet cabinet saw and fence, and have been using it for about 4 years
now. I used to own a Beisemeyer, which I loved.
When I first purchased the Jet, I planned on upgrading the fence back to the
Beisemeyer as soon as I could.
The reason that I haven't is because the Jet fence seems to do the job really
well for me, so far. It has held its 90 degree angle since I first calibrated
it right after I first got it. The only thing that I wish was a little better
is the site through to the tape. I find it a little difficult to read, but I
use a sacrificial piece when the cut must be very precise.
It may not be as good as the Beisemeyer is a lot of folks eyes, but so far it
has served me well. I have had no problems with mine.
Matt

john moorhead wrote:

Folks -

Any Jet Cabinet Saw users/owners out there? How do y'all like the fence,
esp compared to a Bies. Amaz*n has the cab saw/router combo on sale today
for a nick over $1,600.... Feedback??

John Moorhead
Lakeport CA

Bob S.

John,

I believe Jet has the new design fence on their cabinet saws (or it may be
an upgrade option). I have the JTAS-10 with the Xacta 52" fence. Jet had
to send me 2 replacements before I got one that was welded correctly. After
that, I found that the HDPE sides are anything but flat. Took them off and
milled them down - flat. When I remounted them I found that the HDPE was
being distorted slightly because the mounting screw holes were not in
alignment with the screw holes on the fence. I elongated the holes slightly
to accommodate the slop and the HDPE then mounted flatter but still had a
slight bulge (.003") here and there. Got rid of that by drilling additional
screw holes (elongating and countersinking them) and then adding .001" shim
material in a few low spots. As measured with the TS Aligner, the fence is
within 1/2 thousandths end-to-end.

I've had the Jet 2 years now so hopefully the new design fence overcomes
those problems. The other minor annoyance was the HDPE pads on the fence
and lock down mechanism would eventually come off. That was an interesting
thread to read about how others fixed that but the bottom line answer was,
clean off the other glue they used, scuff the surfaces (pads and metal)
lightly with 220 grit, clean with alcohol, coat the pad surface with
polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) and wet the metal surface (to activate the
glue) and clamp it down. Next day, cut off the foam out with a razor blade
and you're good to go. Mine have not come off since I used the poly. Epoxy
was to brittle and broke easily.

So get the new design fence if it's an option for you.

Bob S.

"john moorhead" wrote in message
Folks -

Any Jet Cabinet Saw users/owners out there? How do y'all like the fence,
esp compared to a Bies. Amaz*n has the cab saw/router combo on sale today
for a nick over $1,600.... Feedback??

John Moorhead
Lakeport CA

Don Sforza

I have the package you mention with the upgraded fence... as good as the
Bies... maybe better with the replaceable sides... even better with the
micro adjust feature. BTW you'll love the router lift and the Bosch router
is a sleeper.
Make sure you budget enough for a mobile base.
"john moorhead" wrote in message
Folks -

Any Jet Cabinet Saw users/owners out there? How do y'all like the fence,
esp compared to a Bies. Amaz*n has the cab saw/router combo on sale today
for a nick over $1,600.... Feedback??

John Moorhead
Lakeport CA

Nova

john moorhead wrote:

Folks -

Any Jet Cabinet Saw users/owners out there? How do y'all like the fence,
esp compared to a Bies. Amaz*n has the cab saw/router combo on sale today
for a nick over $1,600.... Feedback??

John Moorhead
Lakeport CA

I purchased the JTAS-10XL about two years ago. When I placed the order Jet
had just come out with the "Deluxe Commercial XactaFence with the
Micro-Adjust" fence (made by HTC and sold as their "Commercial Multi-Fence).
Although this fence was advertised on their web site, Jet technical support
knew nothing of this fence. I ordered it anyhow 'cuz it sounded neat.

The saw shipped with Jet's Home XactaFence. When the error was reported Jet
then sent the Commercial XactaFence. When I reported that it was still the
wrong fence they sent the proper Deluxe version fence. Jet DID NOT want any
of these three fences I received returned (plus Rockler gave me a $100 gift
certificate for the problems, but that's another story).

Here's the scoop on the fences:

All three are Biesemeyer clones. All three have UHMW side panels and a
magnified anti parallax cursor window.

The "Home" version is constructed of a lighter gauge steel than both of the
"Commercial" versions. The cam mechanism of this fence is not as beefy as the
others. That said the fence performs well. The side panels on this fence are
secured to the fence by bolts through the UHMW panels. I have found that this
mounting system slightly distorts the UHMW panels making them not perfectly
flat. This was only detected during alignment by using a dial indicator and
should not prove to be a problem (unless you're anal retentive, like me).
This fence was given to a friend for use on his Craftsman contractor saw. He
loves it and says it was a major improvement over the fence that came with his
saw.

The "Commercial" version is built like a tank and rock solid once properly
adjusted. In the short time I used the fence I did encounter a minor problem
with the small pads that ride on the front rail on the cam clamp. The
adhesive Jet used allowed them to slide around. I removed the pads, cleaned
them up and epoxied them in place. They no longer slide around. The side
panels are secured to the fence in the same manner as the "Home" version and
present the same "non-problem". This fence will be incorporated into my next
router table. Of the three fences this is the "work horse".

The "Deluxe Commercial XactaFence" uses the same heavy gauge steel as their
"Commercial" fence. The micro-adjust feature uses a saddle that rides the
rail that is "locked down" by tightening a spring loaded, quick lock lever.
Once this saddle is locked down, the fence can be micro-adusted by the 16 TPI
mechanism. The cam lever is then used to secure the fence once fine tuned.
Because of the micro-adjust feature this fence APPEARS to be less solid than
the straight "Commercial" fence. Despite its appearance, It's still rock
solid and is my preferred fence. The "Deluxe Commercial XactaFence" features
clip mounted UHMW side panels which can be quickly removed by "bumping" the
panels towards the front of the saw. This panel mounting system allows for
quickly switching over to a sacrificial fence, jigs, etc. The clips used to
mount these items can be purchased for about $8.00 per set. I've tricked this
fence out with "Board Buddies" and it will primarily remain on my saw.

In short, all three fences will serve the hobbyist well. It's a personal
thing, but on all three fences I do not like the magnified anti parallax
cursor window because I can't get used to the magnification (... are those
marks 1/8, 1/16 or what?).

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Doug Winterburn

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 01:50:46 +0000, Nova wrote:

In short, all three fences will serve the hobbyist well. It's a personal
thing, but on all three fences I do not like the magnified anti parallax
cursor window because I can't get used to the magnification (... are those
marks 1/8, 1/16 or what?).

They's spozed to be marked in black, red and pink soze you can tell ;-)

-Doug
Mike Hunt

Out of the box the fence was spot on. A 1/6 turn of the left screw
opened up the back side 0.010" and I haven't done anything to the saw
since. Blade was within 0.001" to the miter slots out of the box. I
do metal work primarily and was pleasantly surprised with the
tolerances in this "wood" machine. I got the router combo package
since with the woodworking show discount it was only $1530. At some
point I expect to migrate the router lift to its own cabinet as dust
collection under the extended table is a problem, plus I hate having
extra DC pipe and the router electric cord running to the table saw.

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:29:16 GMT, "john moorhead"
wrote:

Folks -

Any Jet Cabinet Saw users/owners out there? How do y'all like the fence,
esp compared to a Bies. Amaz*n has the cab saw/router combo on sale today
for a nick over $1,600.... Feedback??

keith

Never used a Bies,but can't see how it could be much better than the
deluxe commercial fence. I do think i would prefer the harder side
panels that the Bies has on its fence. i agree with all who have
trouble with the magnified scale-I'm going to replace mine with a pc
of lexan with a scribed line on it. Keith

Nova wrote in message ...
john moorhead wrote:

[...]

Bob G

"keith" wrote in message
om...
Never used a Bies,but can't see how it could be much better than the
deluxe commercial fence. I do think i would prefer the harder side
panels that the Bies has on its fence. i agree with all who have
trouble with the magnified scale-I'm going to replace mine with a pc
of lexan with a scribed line on it. Keith

=================================
Last summer my son purchased a Jet Cabinet saw not 100 percent sure what
fence it has however... I ordered by Jet Cabinet saw over 10 years ago and
had it shipped with a Biesmeyer Fence on it when new...(Delta did not own
Biesmeyer at the time and the fence was a regular option)

NOW I honestly LOVE my Bies but I could live with his fence just as well...
which do I prefer...well My Bies of course. BUT I do not think I would go to
the trouble of
upgrading to the Bies on his saw....just not worth the effort...

That DAMN magnifing scale cursor however HAD TO GO...and the weekend after
we set up his saw "we" did as Keith said....scribed a line on a piece of
plexiglass and
honestly threw the maginifing cursor do-dad in the trash....

Wonder why they actually use that style ...???

At 62 my eyes are sure not what they used to be but my son (37) has
execllent vision and neither of us were happy with it...

Bob Griffiths