Alan W

Default Aligning a Vega utility 50 fence

After being in the market for a few weeks for an upgrade in table
saws, I found a Jet with a shop built cabinet base on wheels, a Vega
Utility 50" fence, the original Jet T fence, and the finger saver
accessory for $350.00 in the paper yesterday.

I've reassembled the saw (some dissasembly was required to go out a
door and to fit the shortbed pickup I brought). However I'm having a
bit of trouble getting the Utility 50 fence back into exactly parallel
to the miter slot.

I do have the owners manual which tells me to loosen the 4 allen head
bolts, align the saw pefectly on the side of one of the miter tracks,
clamp down the back end of the fence and then lock the cam down.

Using this I was able to improve upon the initial bolt on, but running
a finger nail down the fence to the miter slot hangs at the front and
slips over at the back:

Some ascii art

= -- fence at front of miter slot
| --- miter slot

=| --- fence at back of miter slot

The difference is maybe a 32nd at this point.

Any hints for the last little tweak? I will try again with a tighter
clamp down.

Thanks

Alan
Joe

Call or email Vega for one. They're good people.

"Alan W" wrote in message
om...
After being in the market for a few weeks for an upgrade in table
saws, I found a Jet with a shop built cabinet base on wheels, a Vega
Utility 50" fence, the original Jet T fence, and the finger saver
accessory for $350.00 in the paper yesterday.

I've reassembled the saw (some dissasembly was required to go out a
door and to fit the shortbed pickup I brought). However I'm having a
bit of trouble getting the Utility 50 fence back into exactly parallel
to the miter slot.

I do have the owners manual which tells me to loosen the 4 allen head
bolts, align the saw pefectly on the side of one of the miter tracks,
clamp down the back end of the fence and then lock the cam down.

Using this I was able to improve upon the initial bolt on, but running
a finger nail down the fence to the miter slot hangs at the front and
slips over at the back:

Some ascii art

= -- fence at front of miter slot
| --- miter slot

=| --- fence at back of miter slot

The difference is maybe a 32nd at this point.

Any hints for the last little tweak? I will try again with a tighter
clamp down.

Thanks

Alan

Dirty Bob

I LOVE my 50" Vega Utility fence. There is, however, a slight problem when
RE-aligning the fence. The four allen head bolts which hold the fence in
position are tightened down onto the fence material which is aluminum alloy
of some sort. What winds up happening, is that the bolts "dig in" slightly.
This develops a "memory" to that particular position. Someone here at this
group posted the fix some time ago. I implemented the fix, and it worked
beautifully. Simply place small steel washers under the heads of the allen
bolts. This removes the possibility of any "memory" indentations in the
aluminum alloy itself.

Hope this works as well for you as it did for me. I had the fence on a
contractor style saw which I replaced with a Grizzly cabinet style saw. I
wasn't thrilled with the ShopFox fence which came with the Grizzly saw, so
installed my Vega fence. That required RE-alignment, and the ensuing
alignment problem. The washers worked like magic.

--
re. email: I have no equal.
"Alan W" wrote in message
om...
After being in the market for a few weeks for an upgrade in table
saws, I found a Jet with a shop built cabinet base on wheels, a Vega
Utility 50" fence, the original Jet T fence, and the finger saver
accessory for $350.00 in the paper yesterday.

I've reassembled the saw (some dissasembly was required to go out a
door and to fit the shortbed pickup I brought). However I'm having a
bit of trouble getting the Utility 50 fence back into exactly parallel
to the miter slot.

I do have the owners manual which tells me to loosen the 4 allen head
bolts, align the saw pefectly on the side of one of the miter tracks,
clamp down the back end of the fence and then lock the cam down.

Using this I was able to improve upon the initial bolt on, but running
a finger nail down the fence to the miter slot hangs at the front and
slips over at the back:

Some ascii art

= -- fence at front of miter slot
| --- miter slot

=| --- fence at back of miter slot

The difference is maybe a 32nd at this point.

Any hints for the last little tweak? I will try again with a tighter
clamp down.

Thanks

Alan

Alan W

"Joe" wrote in message news:SxL5b.264443$cF.83124@rwcrnsc53...
Call or email Vega for one. They're good people.

I left a message for their technical contact this morning. Thus far I
have receeived no call back. Perhaps tomorrow.

Alan
Alan W

"Dirty Bob" wrote in message ...
[...]

This makes perfect sense, as I expect the allen head bolts are class
8 and would very easily be capable of digging and dimpling the
extruded alum fence material. I have some small washers about the
house and will try this if my next attempt is not successful.

I am quite impressed with the micro adjust feature.

One other question is where is the "button" on the back of the fence
supposed to ride? Along the edge of the table causing the fence to
"float just above, or on the rear rail or? The diagrams show it on
the table and using washers to shim, but it does not make a whole lot
of sense to me as of yet.

Thanks
Alan

mrhct

"Alan W" wrote in message
m...
"Dirty Bob" wrote in message

[...]

It had better be riding on the rear square rail.

Mike

Dirty Bob

Yes, the "button" rides on the square rail attached to the back side of the
saw. A couple of other little hints/words of wisdom, Keep the rails (both
front and rear) clean and waxed for optimum performance. When adjusting the
fence to a new line/position, hold the locking/tee square portion against
the rail and toward yourself. This is the position the fence locks into,
and will eliminate any cocking of the fence as you lock it into position.