meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:15:14 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski"
posted:

"Banty" wrote in message

Around here we have limitations on them - they have to stay back behind
the
house. so they don't get used for property enclosures, but can still be
used
for dog runs, etc.

I've seen this a lot in new neighborhoods where the first thing new owners
do is put up a fence. They all look like crap, IMO. There is a fence four
houses up from me, but no others around. Kids, dogs, never a problem. I
don't see any reason for the dog in the back not to visit once in a while or
the kids from up the street. Nice too look out the back and see open
space, gardens, trees and may a few hedges as a natural boundary line. Guess
we're just lucky.

I agree with you. And you are lucky. When I grew up in a small city
in Western Pa., no fences at al. I would walk around all the
neighbors back yards, the ones on my side of the street, about 10 of
them. Didn't get stuck until a bunch of bushes and weeds where the
street would have been if it had gone through. Until we moved when I
was 10. No one every complained. Weren't many dogs but the two
there were ran free. Mother and daughter. They both chased cars and
one was eventually killed doing that. But it was the dog's choice.

No, there were two others I rememer. One a cocker spaniel that lived
in the yard of the house behind me, not fenced in and not chained
afaicr, and one I came across a block away. It was following me so I
took it home so it could meet the first one. It got excited, jumping
up and down with its paws on my back. I don't know why. Eventually I
got a bit scared and went home, which was right there. I coudl not
see my back and my mother couldn't tell if it was a scratch or a bite,
plus the excitable nature of the dog. So she took me to a vet.
Figured he would know better than my doctor. It was a scratch. I
never saw the second dog again. I wish I knew what was going on
between the two of them. My mother, who was doggone protective,
didn't complain about the two dogs running around. That was the way it
was.

The new neigborhood was too boring to warrant looking, but we did go
through the back neighbor's yard on the way to some place. And the
dogs would run around all day, in a pack of 10 or 15, until they got
hungry and went to their various homes. Never heard of anyone being
bit.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether