Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default alternative in-car stereo / mp3 / comments please .. - slightly o/t

HI All

Firstly - apologies for the fact that the last 10 years' developments
in personal music technology seem to have passed me by...
but I've been busy at other things g

Like many others of my generation, (I suspect ) - I have a couple of
boxes of vinyl lps and singles, and cassette tapes in the shed....
despite being 'much loved' - they never seem to get played...

Sort of at the back of my mind for some time has been a plan to
dig out these 'classics' and transfer them to something more modern -
like CDs for instance.

Then I got to thinking (always fatal !)
The new (old) car, a '64 Moggie Traveller needs some sort of music
system, if only to drown out the rattles and bangs.

So - is there 'another way' to get the vinyl transferred into a format
that could be used in the car ?

Possible plans so far
1) Grab the audio through my (pretty good) computer soundcard and burn
to CDs

-- drawback - it's a tedious process, and ties up the PC for hours on
end

2) Buy a dedicated CR-recorder and grab the audio and burn directly to
CD. Thinking of the Sony RCDW100 Twin CDR - about £200.

-- drawback - cost
- advantage - stand-alone solution

3) Grab audio to mp3 format, and diy an electronics solution to play
mp3's in the 'new' car. Thinking of an mp3 player with line in and
removable memory cards, combined with a simple homebrewed power amp /
psu tucked away in the car somewhere. (There's the DIY angle !!)

-- drawback ... don't know ?? - price of the MP3 player perhaps ?
--advantages - playback is 'bump-proof' - combination of Irish roads
and 1960's Moggie suspension might cause problems for a conventional
in-car CD player..

Any comments / suggestions etc ??

Many thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...2CK&T=11856821

or just illegally copy the tracks you want off the internet.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
HI All

Firstly - apologies for the fact that the last 10 years' developments
in personal music technology seem to have passed me by...
but I've been busy at other things g

Like many others of my generation, (I suspect ) - I have a couple of
boxes of vinyl lps and singles, and cassette tapes in the shed....
despite being 'much loved' - they never seem to get played...

Sort of at the back of my mind for some time has been a plan to
dig out these 'classics' and transfer them to something more modern -
like CDs for instance.

Then I got to thinking (always fatal !)
The new (old) car, a '64 Moggie Traveller needs some sort of music
system, if only to drown out the rattles and bangs.

So - is there 'another way' to get the vinyl transferred into a format
that could be used in the car ?

Couple of options you could consider...

1) Many modern car stereos have either a 3.5mm stereo line in connector
already, for input from mp3 players - so no need for a home-brew amp.

2) Alternatively some car stereos have USB connectors so an mp3 player
can be plugged in directly (digital so no messing around with volume
settings).

3) Many CD players advertise themselves as being mps compatible. This
means thay can read mp3 files from a data CD rather than audio tracks
from an audio CD. Net result is being able to fit *much* more music on a
CD (albeit at a theoretically lower quality - though I doubt you'll
notice in a car)

4) Look at devices like take any audio source and transmit a very low
power FM signal that can be picked up, a short range, by a car radio.
(Go to amazon.co.uk and search for "Digiana Audia")

VH.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote in
:

HI All

3) Grab audio to mp3 format, and diy an electronics solution to play
mp3's in the 'new' car. Thinking of an mp3 player with line in and
removable memory cards, combined with a simple homebrewed power amp /
psu tucked away in the car somewhere. (There's the DIY angle !!)

I think you've considered your options on getti g the audio, and if you can
play the stuff, I'd use the computer to store it in some accepted format.

Cost zero.

For replay, these days I'd go to mp3 - I've been thinking about the same
sort of thing, and there are loads of options to get the mp3 in car at
little cost, a basic player with line out is very cheap.

Other posters have mentioned other options for outputting; but I think
we're at the end of the disc/tape era, and memory cards are the only real
option

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message

Sony do a nice head unit, plays MP3 CD's and has a jack socket for a player
if you wish.
Cannot do anything about the time to transfer to MP3 from your other media,
but once done you're sorted.
Halfords do the sony for £ 79.99
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

3) Grab audio to mp3 format, and diy an electronics solution to play
mp3's in the 'new' car. Thinking of an mp3 player with line in and
removable memory cards, combined with a simple homebrewed power amp /
psu tucked away in the car somewhere. (There's the DIY angle !!)

-- drawback ... don't know ?? - price of the MP3 player perhaps ?
--advantages - playback is 'bump-proof' - combination of Irish roads
and 1960's Moggie suspension might cause problems for a conventional
in-car CD player..

Go for option 3, but buy a car stereo that can read directly from SD
cards and USB sticks. These are becoming increasingly common, e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VR3-USB-SD-MP3...QQcmdZViewItem

--
Grunff
Low temperature Stirling engine:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:49:44 +0100, Adrian wrote:

[...]

===================================
It might make sense to combine (more or less) (1) and (2). A second
computer either new or second-hand could be used as a dedicated 'music
box' with permanently attached turntable and tape player. The advantages
are that second-hand computers are dirt cheap or if you decided on new
(about GB 200 pounds for a reasonable base unit) you would have a spare
computer to cover any breakdowns.

Still tedious, of course, but less frustrating than an unavailable
computer.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...2CK&T=11856821

or just illegally copy the tracks you want off the internet.

Adam

Is it illegal if he downloads tracks he already has on vinyl?
--
My blog:
http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shiptodruid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes

Hi Adrian,

Firstly - apologies for the fact that the last 10 years' developments
in personal music technology seem to have passed me by...
but I've been busy at other things g

Yep, me too.

Like many others of my generation, (I suspect ) - I have a couple of
boxes of vinyl lps and singles, and cassette tapes in the shed....
despite being 'much loved' - they never seem to get played...

Yep, me too :-)

Sort of at the back of my mind for some time has been a plan to
dig out these 'classics' and transfer them to something more modern -
like CDs for instance.

Yep, me too - but it is long, tedious, boring work. I have now buried
my conscience and started downloading mp3 files wherever I can find
them, on the basis that I have paid for the music already. It may be
legally incorrect, but seems morally OK to me.

Then I got to thinking (always fatal !)
The new (old) car, a '64 Moggie Traveller needs some sort of music
system, if only to drown out the rattles and bangs.

One problem - your car is probably positive earth? My 68 Traveller is,
and I doubt many modern car stereo systems are anything other than
negative earth? Could alter the car, I suppose.

So - is there 'another way' to get the vinyl transferred into a format
that could be used in the car ?

Just be lazy like everyone else, and download mp3s.

I would then go for an iPod type player. My wife has one, and I must
admit to being impressed. Latest toy is a 'docking station' affair, so
that she can listen in the home without needing the ear plugs. There
are probably 12v versions designed for in car use?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dwayne & Angela wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...2CK&T=11856821

or just illegally copy the tracks you want off the internet.

Adam

Is it illegal if he downloads tracks he already has on vinyl?

Yes, in this country anyway. We have no provision for format shifting or
taking backup copies etc.

(not like anyone cares, and that was to my first suggestion! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI All

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:58:14 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Dwayne & Angela wrote:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...2CK&T=11856821

or just illegally copy the tracks you want off the internet.

Adam

Is it illegal if he downloads tracks he already has on vinyl?

Yes, in this country anyway. We have no provision for format shifting or
taking backup copies etc.

(not like anyone cares, and that was to my first suggestion! ;-)

Call me old-fashioned - but I tend to prefer listening to what we used
to call 'an album' rather than individual tracks....

Having said that - my few attempts to find 'free mp3 music' on the web
have met with failure - it seems that most of the so-called free'
sites have a sting in the tail - and require you to sign up for a
subscription of some sort. If anybody knows of genuinely 'free' mp3
then I'd be delighted to hear (adrian at ambquality.co.uk works fine
as an email address)

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:52:12 GMT, Van Helsing
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
[...]

Didn't know that .... (shows how far 'behind the times' I am !)

2) Alternatively some car stereos have USB connectors so an mp3 player
can be plugged in directly (digital so no messing around with volume
settings).

Something else I didn't know !

3) Many CD players advertise themselves as being mps compatible. This
means thay can read mp3 files from a data CD rather than audio tracks
from an audio CD. Net result is being able to fit *much* more music on a
CD (albeit at a theoretically lower quality - though I doubt you'll
notice in a car)

That makes 3

4) Look at devices like take any audio source and transmit a very low
power FM signal that can be picked up, a short range, by a car radio.
(Go to amazon.co.uk and search for "Digiana Audia")

OK - not sure that's going to be useful for me - but thanks for all
the pointers. Spent a happy half-hour browsing the 'in car
entertainment' section of the CPC catalogue last night g

So, you could store large amounts of mp3 on a digital memory 'stick'
and just plug it into the car radio..... clever !

Do 'personal' mp3 players with the same ability exist? - might take
some of the boredom out of mowing the grass, and would allow the same
mp3 'sticks' to be used elsewhere around the house...

Many thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Mike

On 11 Jun 2007 18:05:02 GMT, mike wrote:

Adrian wrote in
:

HI All

3) Grab audio to mp3 format, and diy an electronics solution to play
mp3's in the 'new' car. Thinking of an mp3 player with line in and
removable memory cards, combined with a simple homebrewed power amp /
psu tucked away in the car somewhere. (There's the DIY angle !!)

I think you've considered your options on getti g the audio, and if you can
play the stuff, I'd use the computer to store it in some accepted format.

Cost zero.

Like the sound of that ! g

For replay, these days I'd go to mp3 - I've been thinking about the same
sort of thing, and there are loads of options to get the mp3 in car at
little cost, a basic player with line out is very cheap.

Do you know it the low-end players can be had with the ability to read
a plug-in memory 'stick' (probably the wrong terminology). I don't
think I need the ability/screen to play video on an mp3 player - and
don't really want to be spending mega-bucks.

Other posters have mentioned other options for outputting; but I think
we're at the end of the disc/tape era, and memory cards are the only real
option

Gosh - you mean I might be getting in somewhere near the leading edge
for a change ! g That'd be a first.

Many thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Vass

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:11:49 +0100, "Vass"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
.. .

Sony do a nice head unit, plays MP3 CD's and has a jack socket for a player
if you wish.
Cannot do anything about the time to transfer to MP3 from your other media,
but once done you're sorted.
Halfords do the sony for £ 79.99

Not expensive, is it ?
As mentioned above - CPC seem to do them with the usb connector as
well as cd player - under the £100 mark...

Many thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Grunff

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:30:16 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Adrian wrote:

3) Grab audio to mp3 format, and diy an electronics solution to play
mp3's in the 'new' car. Thinking of an mp3 player with line in and
removable memory cards, combined with a simple homebrewed power amp /
psu tucked away in the car somewhere. (There's the DIY angle !!)

-- drawback ... don't know ?? - price of the MP3 player perhaps ?
--advantages - playback is 'bump-proof' - combination of Irish roads
and 1960's Moggie suspension might cause problems for a conventional
in-car CD player..

Go for option 3, but buy a car stereo that can read directly from SD
cards and USB sticks. These are becoming increasingly common, e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VR3-USB-SD-MP3...QQcmdZViewItem

My - that's a clever-looking piece of kit !
I see it also takes SD cards....

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to organise mp3 files on an
sd-card or USB-stick so that they look like folders - as in one folder
per lp or cd ?
Does the player then become a sort of 'digital jukebox'? - in that you
could select a folder and play it ?

Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Cicero

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:37:58 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

[...]

Oh no - not more computers, please !
I guess it's not so much of an inconvenience really -
but the nice thing about the Sony machine was that it was intelligent
enough to understand 'tracks' on an lp and (allegedly!) break up the
final CD into tracks.
I guess it'd have a reasonable resale value - so it it's not
necessarily £200 down the drain...

Still tedious, of course, but less frustrating than an unavailable
computer.

True...

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes

Adrian wrote:

3) Grab audio to mp3 format, and diy an electronics solution to play
mp3's in the 'new' car. Thinking of an mp3 player with line in and
removable memory cards, combined with a simple homebrewed power amp /
psu tucked away in the car somewhere. (There's the DIY angle !!)

-- drawback ... don't know ?? - price of the MP3 player perhaps ?
--advantages - playback is 'bump-proof' - combination of Irish roads
and 1960's Moggie suspension might cause problems for a conventional
in-car CD player..

Go for option 3, but buy a car stereo that can read directly from SD
cards and USB sticks. These are becoming increasingly common, e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VR3-USB-SD-MP3...Radio-Car-Ster
eo_W0QQitemZ150129559822QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3293Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My - that's a clever-looking piece of kit !
I see it also takes SD cards....

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to organise mp3 files on an
sd-card or USB-stick so that they look like folders - as in one folder
per lp or cd ?

Yes.

Does the player then become a sort of 'digital jukebox'? - in that you
could select a folder and play it ?

I guess that would depend on the player.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Graeme

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:11:37 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

In message , Adrian
writes

Hi Adrian,

Firstly - apologies for the fact that the last 10 years' developments
in personal music technology seem to have passed me by...
but I've been busy at other things g

Yep, me too.

That's a relief - thought it was just me !

Like many others of my generation, (I suspect ) - I have a couple of
boxes of vinyl lps and singles, and cassette tapes in the shed....
despite being 'much loved' - they never seem to get played...

Yep, me too :-)

I feel better already !

Sort of at the back of my mind for some time has been a plan to
dig out these 'classics' and transfer them to something more modern -
like CDs for instance.

Yep, me too

We should start a self-help group g

- but it is long, tedious, boring work. I have now buried
my conscience and started downloading mp3 files wherever I can find
them, on the basis that I have paid for the music already. It may be
legally incorrect, but seems morally OK to me.

Wonder where / how you find this free content ?
I did have a browse around a couple of months ago but all the Google
hits seemed to be 'free-once-you've-paid-us-some-money' - which isn't
quite my idea of free.

Then I got to thinking (always fatal !)
The new (old) car, a '64 Moggie Traveller needs some sort of music
system, if only to drown out the rattles and bangs.

One problem - your car is probably positive earth? My 68 Traveller is,
and I doubt many modern car stereo systems are anything other than
negative earth? Could alter the car, I suppose.

Nope - she's been converted to neg earth and got a bright, shiny new
alternator - so (in that respect at least) is bang up to date.
Didn't know that you were a member of the 'oily driveway' brigade g

So - is there 'another way' to get the vinyl transferred into a format
that could be used in the car ?

Just be lazy like everyone else, and download mp3s.

I would then go for an iPod type player. My wife has one, and I must
admit to being impressed. Latest toy is a 'docking station' affair, so
that she can listen in the home without needing the ear plugs. There
are probably 12v versions designed for in car use?

That was my original plan.
Any idea how much music fits into one of these machines ?
I think I'd want one which allowed different memory sticks or cards to
be inserted - unless, of course, the 'track capacity' of the things is
so great that it makes this irrelevant.

To put it into perspective, my days of long-distance driving are well
over - a long journey for us at the moment is the drive into Cork city
- which takes all of an hour and a half - and is only to be attempted
after packing survival rations, thermos flasks of tea and distress
flares. (Not a consequence of owning the Traveller - was like that
before !)

Many thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Adam

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:47:28 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well - I already have a fairly decent turntable (back from the days
when hi-fi was a collection of separate boxes !) - so that's not a
problem.

One thing in the Maplin write-up did look interesting - and that was
the suggestion that you could grab the lp's at 45rpm rather than 33.3
- and then use the software (Audacity) to convert them to the correct
speed.

Why didn't I think of that ?? I have Audacity and Goldwave - both of
which will do this 'speed convert' thing - I'm thinking that there
must be a catch though ????

Would cut the 'transcription' time by a third....

or just illegally copy the tracks you want off the internet.

Well - I would if I could (find the free content, that is)
All I ever seem to find is places that look free and then try to sting
you for a subscription - I'm obviously looking in all the wrong places
!

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes
HI All

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:58:14 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Dwayne & Angela wrote:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ewsletter&U=07
P06-2_N62CK&T=11856821

or just illegally copy the tracks you want off the internet.

Adam
Is it illegal if he downloads tracks he already has on vinyl?

Yes, in this country anyway. We have no provision for format shifting or
taking backup copies etc.

(not like anyone cares, and that was to my first suggestion! ;-)

Call me old-fashioned - but I tend to prefer listening to what we used
to call 'an album' rather than individual tracks....

You can download albums as well.

Having said that - my few attempts to find 'free mp3 music' on the web
have met with failure - it seems that most of the so-called free'
sites have a sting in the tail - and require you to sign up for a
subscription of some sort. If anybody knows of genuinely 'free' mp3
then I'd be delighted to hear

All of MP3 is not free, but very cheap. Though there are issues with
paying for it now AIUI VISA blocks payment to them (Short version of the
backstory - Allof MP3 is based in Russia, they claim to be operating
under Russian law, which means they don't pay royalties etc., hence why
they are cheap. Hence, the RIAA, IFPI etc. are waging a campaign against
them)

For free you need to look at the P2P (Peer to Peer) arena such as the
Bittorrent or Gnutella

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:57:07 +0100, Adrian wrote:

[...]

The Sony machine you quote (Sony RCDW100 Twin CDR) appears to be a CD
copier (CD to CD) so it wouldn't really be any help in transferring your
LPs and tapes to CD. You would need something with inputs from a turntable
and tape player which doesn't appear to be the case with this Sony
machine. If it does have these inputs I would be quite interested as it
would be a genuinely dedicated machine. Have you got any further
information?

As far as recognising track breaks is concerned, I think that most
commercial copying software (e.g. 'Spin Doctor') and probably most
Shareware software will do this but not entirely reliably. It appears to
work on the basis of recognising longer periods of silence which is
reasonably accurate for most LP / Tape / CD tracks but it can give
spurious results when the music itself includes periods of silence such as
often happens in Classical music.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Cicero

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:06:32 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

[...]

http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...f6f883a5ddb725

Sorry for the long link !
There's a link on this page to the manufacturer's PDF operating manual
- which seems to say that you can do cd-cd copies as well as burning
cds from any other analogue (?or digital) inputs.

Apparently it also has the ability to recognise track breaks..

As far as recognising track breaks is concerned, I think that most
commercial copying software (e.g. 'Spin Doctor') and probably most
Shareware software will do this but not entirely reliably. It appears to
work on the basis of recognising longer periods of silence which is
reasonably accurate for most LP / Tape / CD tracks but it can give
spurious results when the music itself includes periods of silence such as
often happens in Classical music.

Yes - wouldn't be the end of the world if the odd spurious 'non-track'
got into a cd.....

Still can't decide which way to jump g - sounds as if mp3 might be
the way to go. The 'purist' approach regarding fidelity isn't a big
issue for me - music tends to be on in the background or while driving
- so as long as it's 'listenable' then that'd be fine...

Just had a quick play around BearShare - looks interesting......
now need to go looking for mp3-capable car radios (though I believe
they're known as 'heads' nowadays. Funny - in boating circles 'head'
has a completely different meaning g.

Regards
Adrian

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Call me old-fashioned - but I tend to prefer listening to what we used
to call 'an album' rather than individual tracks....

You can frequently find complete albums for download, or even
collections of albums. Finding older albums is not always easy unless
they were popular, but when they are there is is often quicker than
digitising yours.

The obvious two to try are http://thepiratebay.org and
http://www.torrentspy.com/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian
writes

Hi Adrian,

Wonder where / how you find this free content ?

There are two options, really. Probably best for individual tracks is
Limewire :

http://www.limewire.com/

Others have mentioned torrents, from sites like Pirate Bay. For that,
you need a 'client', and utorrent is highly recommended by many.
Download the client, search for torrents, and away you go. A torrent is
just a file that contains other files, such as mp3s, avis etc. I would
make sure your virus checker is up to date, though, as you don't really
know what you have downloaded until it is on your hard drive. Torrents
are more complete albums than individual tracks. Many videos, too, but
watch your bandwidth. Probably highly illegal, too.

http://www.utorrent.com/

One problem - your car is probably positive earth?

Nope - she's been converted to neg earth and got a bright, shiny new
alternator - so (in that respect at least) is bang up to date.

Excellent. I'm learning a lot from this thread, too. Memory sticks,
and such things.

Didn't know that you were a member of the 'oily driveway' brigade g

Heh. Oily trailer ATM. Plan is to do a bit of work this summer.

Any idea how much music fits into one of these machines ?

My wife's iPod is 2GB, which apparently equates to around 500 tracks.

The music file on my hard drive is 19GB, and probably contains in excess
of 3000 tracks.

I think I'd want one which allowed different memory sticks or cards to
be inserted - unless, of course, the 'track capacity' of the things is
so great that it makes this irrelevant.

I think the largest iPod is currently 8GB, or 2000 tracks, but they can,
of course, be erased and replaced ad infinitum.

To put it into perspective, my days of long-distance driving are well
over - a long journey for us at the moment is the drive into Cork city
- which takes all of an hour and a half - and is only to be attempted
after packing survival rations, thermos flasks of tea and distress
flares. (Not a consequence of owning the Traveller - was like that
before !)

Sounds like us, driving to the bright lights of Perth or Aberdeen :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 12, 8:14 am, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:47:28 GMT, "ARWadsworth"

wrote:

.. .

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...wsletter&U=07P...

Well - I already have a fairly decent turntable (back from the days
when hi-fi was a collection of separate boxes !) - so that's not a
problem.

Then what are you beloved old albums doing in the shed, then ?! I got
started with transferring some of my albums to CD and in the end found
more pleasure in getting a new drive belt, arm and cartridge and
rediscovering vinyl...

One thing in the Maplin write-up did look interesting - and that was
the suggestion that you could grab the lp's at 45rpm rather than 33.3
- and then use the software (Audacity) to convert them to the correct
speed.

Why didn't I think of that ?? I have Audacity and Goldwave - both of
which will do this 'speed convert' thing - I'm thinking that there
must be a catch though ????

Would cut the 'transcription' time by a third....

The catch is that vinyl is not recorded "flat", but has emphasis
applied to diminish low frequencies and boost high frequencies. On
playback, low frequencies are boosted and high frequencies cut. This
reduces surface noise which is usually hissy, and avoids massive
needle excursions on powerful bass signals. I suppose it's possible
that your PC software could attempt some reverse correction, but
assuming you were going to run your deck output through at least a pre-
amp, you will probably lose some very high frequencies forever
(running the LP fast will push all the frequences up, some beyond what
the cartridge can faithfully reproduce), and it'd all be a bit of
bodge for a small time-saving, frankly.

or just illegally copy the tracks you want off the internet.

Well - I would if I could (find the free content, that is)
All I ever seem to find is places that look free and then try to sting
you for a subscription - I'm obviously looking in all the wrong places
!

I think my kids might get some of their music from Russia (not on my
home network, mind), but I have no doubt it's dubious in some
respect. I have a quaint old-fashioned notion that if I want
something, I should pay for it. Sad in the 21st century, I know. I
am quite happy to buy CDs at under a tenner on average (sometimes much
mess) and get 100% of the engineered and mixed product. They were
nearer £15 in the early days, often for 35 minutes of simply
transcribed analogue. Now, you will get a proper remaster, often done
by some of the original team, and some bonus tracks, plus some sleeve
notes telling you all about how the creative geniuses worked, how they
weren't seeing enough groupie action, etc. (I do occasionally buy
"new" music...)

Anyway, to return to your in-car needs, you will find that some kind
of "line" input is increasingly common on car head units these days.
I would doubt if any of them would stylistically match your car
interior, however. But even if you have to purchase a simple radio
unit, something like an iTrip works surprisingly well.

HTH.

--
"Going out of my mind, back in 5 minutes."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Chris

wrote:

Dwayne & Angela wrote:

[...]

Many thanks...
Currently trawling through Gnutella with BearShare as a client -
very interesting......

OK - so I've found some music - quite a lot of which is already on
vinyl in the box in the shed (so I don't feel _too_ illegal !)

Now to look into actually playing it....

Many thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI John

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:19:33 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Adrian wrote:

Call me old-fashioned - but I tend to prefer listening to what we used
to call 'an album' rather than individual tracks....

You can frequently find complete albums for download, or even
collections of albums. Finding older albums is not always easy unless
they were popular, but when they are there is is often quicker than
digitising yours.

Ah - so you can.....
how interesting g

Having said that - my few attempts to find 'free mp3 music' on the web
have met with failure - it seems that most of the so-called free'
sites have a sting in the tail - and require you to sign up for a
subscription of some sort. If anybody knows of genuinely 'free' mp3
then I'd be delighted to hear (adrian at ambquality.co.uk works fine
as an email address)

The obvious two to try are http://thepiratebay.org and
http://www.torrentspy.com/

Might be obvious to you g......

I'll go take a look - thanks

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Huge

On 2007-06-12, John Rumm wrote:
Adrian wrote:

Call me old-fashioned - but I tend to prefer listening to what we used
to call 'an album' rather than individual tracks....

You can frequently find complete albums for download, or even
collections of albums. Finding older albums is not always easy unless
they were popular, but when they are there is is often quicker than
digitising yours.

Having said that - my few attempts to find 'free mp3 music' on the web
have met with failure - it seems that most of the so-called free'
sites have a sting in the tail - and require you to sign up for a
subscription of some sort. If anybody knows of genuinely 'free' mp3
then I'd be delighted to hear (adrian at ambquality.co.uk works fine
as an email address)

The obvious two to try are http://thepiratebay.org and
http://www.torrentspy.com/

Alternatively, and more legally, why not borrow the CDs from your local record
library and rip them from there? Assuming that one's music is available on CD,
that is.

Indeed....
Haven't looked for CDs in our local library - might take a look
next time I'm in there...

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Graeme

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:03:57 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

In message , Adrian
writes

Hi Adrian,

Wonder where / how you find this free content ?

There are two options, really. Probably best for individual tracks is
Limewire :

http://www.limewire.com/

Others have mentioned torrents, from sites like Pirate Bay. For that,
you need a 'client', and utorrent is highly recommended by many.
Download the client, search for torrents, and away you go. A torrent is
just a file that contains other files, such as mp3s, avis etc. I would
make sure your virus checker is up to date, though, as you don't really
know what you have downloaded until it is on your hard drive. Torrents
are more complete albums than individual tracks. Many videos, too, but
watch your bandwidth. Probably highly illegal, too.

http://www.utorrent.com/

Right - I'll look into that later - thanks !

One problem - your car is probably positive earth?

Nope - she's been converted to neg earth and got a bright, shiny new
alternator - so (in that respect at least) is bang up to date.

Excellent. I'm learning a lot from this thread, too. Memory sticks,
and such things.

In my case it's more a case of 'memory fades' - but I know what you
mean !

Didn't know that you were a member of the 'oily driveway' brigade g

Heh. Oily trailer ATM. Plan is to do a bit of work this summer.

We're in the process of completing a large carport so that work on the
car continue _despite_ the Irish weather !

Any idea how much music fits into one of these machines ?

My wife's iPod is 2GB, which apparently equates to around 500 tracks.

Coo !
That's quite a lot...

The music file on my hard drive is 19GB, and probably contains in excess
of 3000 tracks.

I think I'd want one which allowed different memory sticks or cards to
be inserted - unless, of course, the 'track capacity' of the things is
so great that it makes this irrelevant.

I think the largest iPod is currently 8GB, or 2000 tracks, but they can,
of course, be erased and replaced ad infinitum.

Understand that...
I was wondering whether it'd be necessary to take along several USB
sticks for a journey - but probably not....

Maybe different sticks for different styles of music...

To put it into perspective, my days of long-distance driving are well
over - a long journey for us at the moment is the drive into Cork city
- which takes all of an hour and a half - and is only to be attempted
after packing survival rations, thermos flasks of tea and distress
flares. (Not a consequence of owning the Traveller - was like that
before !)

Sounds like us, driving to the bright lights of Perth or Aberdeen :-)

Dindn't know Perth had any bright lights. Didn't the last time I was
up there - but that was a few years ago..

Ah well - off to plant a few more lettuces and play a bit more with
the carport...

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes

Hi Adrian,

Wonder where / how you find this free content ?

There are two options, really. Probably best for individual tracks is
Limewire :

http://www.limewire.com/

Search for Limewire 4.12.6, which is still kicking around the web. I
think the latest version from Limewire is pay per download

Others have mentioned torrents, from sites like Pirate Bay. For that,
you need a 'client', and utorrent is highly recommended by many.
Download the client, search for torrents, and away you go. A torrent is
just a file that contains other files, such as mp3s, avis etc.

And the rest.....

I would
make sure your virus checker is up to date, though, as you don't really
know what you have downloaded until it is on your hard drive. Torrents
are more complete albums than individual tracks. Many videos, too, but
watch your bandwidth. Probably highly illegal, too.

Too slow for most people. They say the binary groups are faster

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think the largest iPod is currently 8GB, or 2000 tracks, but they can,
of course, be erased and replaced ad infinitum.

Largest is currently 80GB, and does music, video and photos. Smaller
versions are available too.
Physical size is about the size of a box of 20 fags, but half the depth.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPod-V...1664232&sr=8-2

For example.

Add that to a head-unit with audio input and your have a great solution. And
Itunes is great MP3 management software, in my opinon.

(I have one of the older 60GB iPods [nearly full!] and an iPod-compatible
Alpine head unit that allows full control of the iPod from the front panel -
it has a dedicated iPod connector that goes into the bottom of the iPod)

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Alan wrote:
Itunes is great MP3 management software, in my opinon.

It's good if you want something simple, but for power users it doesn't
hold a candle to J River Music Center, IMO.

(I have one of the older 60GB iPods [nearly full!] and an iPod-compatible
Alpine head unit that allows full control of the iPod from the front panel -
it has a dedicated iPod connector that goes into the bottom of the iPod)

I also have a nearly-full 60 Gb iPod, but I have an Audi factory-fit
head unit with Dension Ice-Link adapter, which (like your Alpine unit, I
imagine) allows me to use the steering-wheel volume/next/previous
controls. So the iPod stays tucked out of sight in the glove box.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to organise mp3 files on an
sd-card or USB-stick so that they look like folders - as in one folder
per lp or cd ?

Yes, you can definitely do that.

Does the player then become a sort of 'digital jukebox'? - in that you
could select a folder and play it ?

This varies from player to player. Most support folders, but some just
play everything sequentially.

I don't know about this particular one.

--
Grunff
Low temperature Stirling engine:
http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?prid=211027
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Alternatively, and more legally, why not borrow the CDs from your local record
library and rip them from there? Assuming that one's music is available on CD,
that is.

Indeed....
Haven't looked for CDs in our local library - might take a look
next time I'm in there...

not sure ripping cds is any "more" legal ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Laird wrote:

The catch is that vinyl is not recorded "flat", but has emphasis
applied to diminish low frequencies and boost high frequencies. On
playback, low frequencies are boosted and high frequencies cut. This
reduces surface noise which is usually hissy, and avoids massive
needle excursions on powerful bass signals. I suppose it's possible
that your PC software could attempt some reverse correction, but
assuming you were going to run your deck output through at least a pre-
amp, you will probably lose some very high frequencies forever
(running the LP fast will push all the frequences up, some beyond what
the cartridge can faithfully reproduce), and it'd all be a bit of
bodge for a small time-saving, frankly.

Aha, back in the days when RIAA was just an equalisation curve and not a
dirty word for organised megalomania hell bent of suing grannies. ;-)

Some audio packages can implement RIAA equalisation in software,
although I think you still get best results using a preamp with a proper
phono stage.

(maplin used to do a mono preamp module with RIAA equalisation, I used a
pair of them to build a little compensation box to stick between a
record deck and a sound card. That seemed to do the trick nicely)

I think my kids might get some of their music from Russia (not on my
home network, mind), but I have no doubt it's dubious in some
respect. I have a quaint old-fashioned notion that if I want
something, I should pay for it. Sad in the 21st century, I know. I
am quite happy to buy CDs at under a tenner on average (sometimes much
mess) and get 100% of the engineered and mixed product. They were
nearer £15 in the early days, often for 35 minutes of simply
transcribed analogue. Now, you will get a proper remaster, often done
by some of the original team, and some bonus tracks, plus some sleeve
notes telling you all about how the creative geniuses worked, how they
weren't seeing enough groupie action, etc. (I do occasionally buy
"new" music...)

Yup, I have no problem with that. It starts getting a bit much when they
want you to buy it over and over on every format you may want to use it
in tough. Especially since all you are paying for is a license - the
media cost representing the square root of naff all.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I also have a nearly-full 60 Gb iPod, but I have an Audi factory-fit
head unit with Dension Ice-Link adapter, which (like your Alpine unit, I
imagine) allows me to use the steering-wheel volume/next/previous
controls. So the iPod stays tucked out of sight in the glove box.

When I was in the market for this I found that very few adaptors gave the
display info on-screen - like the current Artinst, Album, Track etc. The
Alpine does this, which is nice for finding the track you want.
The others I looked at the time just treated the iPod as a limitless CD
changer with just track up/down functionality, but little ability to
navigate round the iPod.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 12, 7:32 pm, John Rumm wrote:
John Laird wrote:

[...]

I suppose it gets a bit tricky, proving you own one version and want
another. I do object to the notion of levies on media such as
cassettes (I presume that's a dead issue now, although I wouldn't be
surprised if there are moves to put levies on solid state players). I
wouldn't buy downloads at what amounts to very nearly the same price
as a CD, only without 90% of the data, never mind the actual CD and
box and insert. And the logic of only buying part of an album also
escapes me. There's always Now That's What I Call A Load Of Old
******** Vol 257 for that.

Sadly, I think the cutting edge has left me behind. But there are
compensations - I no longer feel the need to listen to Radio 1, Radio
2 can be found to be playing the full 9 minute version of Won't Get
Fooled Again in the middle of the morning, and almost every music show
on the Beeb telly channels seems to be aimed at my generation. So
that's alright, then.

--
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dwayne & Angela wrote:

[...]

I've heard that thieving, freeloading water stealing *******s use p2p
solutions such as emule (for distribution of viruses), uknova etc ...

but then, what would I know ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Alan wrote:

I also have a nearly-full 60 Gb iPod, but I have an Audi factory-fit
head unit with Dension Ice-Link adapter, which (like your Alpine unit, I
imagine) allows me to use the steering-wheel volume/next/previous
controls. So the iPod stays tucked out of sight in the glove box.

When I was in the market for this I found that very few adaptors gave the
display info on-screen - like the current Artinst, Album, Track etc. The
Alpine does this, which is nice for finding the track you want.
The others I looked at the time just treated the iPod as a limitless CD
changer with just track up/down functionality, but little ability to
navigate round the iPod.

Exactly right. Personally I'm quite happy to stick the iPod on album
shuffle and take what I'm given. Passengers sometimes like to exercise
some choice and they can easily do that by taking the iPod out of the
glove box and using its controls.

Artist and title display on the head unit would be nice (but I've quite
enjoyed guessing!). My system is three years old and I understand that
more modern adapters do a better job. I'm about to replace the car so
I'll soon find out.

I don't have much choice as modern Audis aren't compatible with after-
market head units. I quite like that as it means mine's less likely to
get nicked.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:24:54 +0100, John Rumm
mused:

Adrian wrote:

Alternatively, and more legally, why not borrow the CDs from your local record
library and rip them from there? Assuming that one's music is available on CD,
that is.

Indeed....
Haven't looked for CDs in our local library - might take a look
next time I'm in there...

not sure ripping cds is any "more" legal ;-)

Perhaps "more legal" was meant to be "less traceable"?
--
Regards,
Stuart.

car stereo [email protected] Home Repair 28 May 19th 07 07:26 PM
car stereo mm Electronics Repair 23 May 19th 07 07:26 PM
Car Stereo thejackal51 Electronics Repair 5 September 18th 06 09:51 PM
OT car stereo JoeFaeGlesga UK diy 13 August 7th 06 10:00 PM