Posted to uk.d-i-y
Van Helsing Van Helsing is offline

Default alternative in-car stereo / mp3 / comments please .. - slightlyo/t

Adrian wrote:
HI All

Firstly - apologies for the fact that the last 10 years' developments
in personal music technology seem to have passed me by...
but I've been busy at other things g

Like many others of my generation, (I suspect ) - I have a couple of
boxes of vinyl lps and singles, and cassette tapes in the shed....
despite being 'much loved' - they never seem to get played...

Sort of at the back of my mind for some time has been a plan to
dig out these 'classics' and transfer them to something more modern -
like CDs for instance.

Then I got to thinking (always fatal !)
The new (old) car, a '64 Moggie Traveller needs some sort of music
system, if only to drown out the rattles and bangs.

So - is there 'another way' to get the vinyl transferred into a format
that could be used in the car ?

Couple of options you could consider...

1) Many modern car stereos have either a 3.5mm stereo line in connector
already, for input from mp3 players - so no need for a home-brew amp.

2) Alternatively some car stereos have USB connectors so an mp3 player
can be plugged in directly (digital so no messing around with volume
settings).

3) Many CD players advertise themselves as being mps compatible. This
means thay can read mp3 files from a data CD rather than audio tracks
from an audio CD. Net result is being able to fit *much* more music on a
CD (albeit at a theoretically lower quality - though I doubt you'll
notice in a car)

4) Look at devices like take any audio source and transmit a very low
power FM signal that can be picked up, a short range, by a car radio.
(Go to amazon.co.uk and search for "Digiana Audia")

VH.