Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default alternative in-car stereo / mp3 / comments please .. - slightly o/t

Hi

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:52:12 GMT, Van Helsing
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
HI All

Firstly - apologies for the fact that the last 10 years' developments
in personal music technology seem to have passed me by...
but I've been busy at other things g

Like many others of my generation, (I suspect ) - I have a couple of
boxes of vinyl lps and singles, and cassette tapes in the shed....
despite being 'much loved' - they never seem to get played...

Sort of at the back of my mind for some time has been a plan to
dig out these 'classics' and transfer them to something more modern -
like CDs for instance.

Then I got to thinking (always fatal !)
The new (old) car, a '64 Moggie Traveller needs some sort of music
system, if only to drown out the rattles and bangs.

So - is there 'another way' to get the vinyl transferred into a format
that could be used in the car ?

Couple of options you could consider...

1) Many modern car stereos have either a 3.5mm stereo line in connector
already, for input from mp3 players - so no need for a home-brew amp.

Didn't know that .... (shows how far 'behind the times' I am !)

2) Alternatively some car stereos have USB connectors so an mp3 player
can be plugged in directly (digital so no messing around with volume
settings).

Something else I didn't know !

3) Many CD players advertise themselves as being mps compatible. This
means thay can read mp3 files from a data CD rather than audio tracks
from an audio CD. Net result is being able to fit *much* more music on a
CD (albeit at a theoretically lower quality - though I doubt you'll
notice in a car)

That makes 3

4) Look at devices like take any audio source and transmit a very low
power FM signal that can be picked up, a short range, by a car radio.
(Go to amazon.co.uk and search for "Digiana Audia")

OK - not sure that's going to be useful for me - but thanks for all
the pointers. Spent a happy half-hour browsing the 'in car
entertainment' section of the CPC catalogue last night g

So, you could store large amounts of mp3 on a digital memory 'stick'
and just plug it into the car radio..... clever !

Do 'personal' mp3 players with the same ability exist? - might take
some of the boredom out of mowing the grass, and would allow the same
mp3 'sticks' to be used elsewhere around the house...

Many thanks
Adrian