Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Laird John Laird is offline

Default alternative in-car stereo / mp3 / comments please .. - slightly o/t

On Jun 12, 7:32 pm, John Rumm wrote:
John Laird wrote:

I think my kids might get some of their music from Russia (not on my
home network, mind), but I have no doubt it's dubious in some
respect. I have a quaint old-fashioned notion that if I want
something, I should pay for it. Sad in the 21st century, I know. I
am quite happy to buy CDs at under a tenner on average (sometimes much
mess) and get 100% of the engineered and mixed product. They were
nearer £15 in the early days, often for 35 minutes of simply
transcribed analogue. Now, you will get a proper remaster, often done
by some of the original team, and some bonus tracks, plus some sleeve
notes telling you all about how the creative geniuses worked, how they
weren't seeing enough groupie action, etc. (I do occasionally buy
"new" music...)

Yup, I have no problem with that. It starts getting a bit much when they
want you to buy it over and over on every format you may want to use it
in tough. Especially since all you are paying for is a license - the
media cost representing the square root of naff all.

I suppose it gets a bit tricky, proving you own one version and want
another. I do object to the notion of levies on media such as
cassettes (I presume that's a dead issue now, although I wouldn't be
surprised if there are moves to put levies on solid state players). I
wouldn't buy downloads at what amounts to very nearly the same price
as a CD, only without 90% of the data, never mind the actual CD and
box and insert. And the logic of only buying part of an album also
escapes me. There's always Now That's What I Call A Load Of Old
******** Vol 257 for that.

Sadly, I think the cutting edge has left me behind. But there are
compensations - I no longer feel the need to listen to Radio 1, Radio
2 can be found to be playing the full 9 minute version of Won't Get
Fooled Again in the middle of the morning, and almost every music show
on the Beeb telly channels seems to be aimed at my generation. So
that's alright, then.

--
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."