Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme Graeme is offline

Default alternative in-car stereo / mp3 / comments please .. - slightly o/t

In message , Adrian
writes

Hi Adrian,

Wonder where / how you find this free content ?

There are two options, really. Probably best for individual tracks is
Limewire :

http://www.limewire.com/

Others have mentioned torrents, from sites like Pirate Bay. For that,
you need a 'client', and utorrent is highly recommended by many.
Download the client, search for torrents, and away you go. A torrent is
just a file that contains other files, such as mp3s, avis etc. I would
make sure your virus checker is up to date, though, as you don't really
know what you have downloaded until it is on your hard drive. Torrents
are more complete albums than individual tracks. Many videos, too, but
watch your bandwidth. Probably highly illegal, too.

http://www.utorrent.com/

One problem - your car is probably positive earth?

Nope - she's been converted to neg earth and got a bright, shiny new
alternator - so (in that respect at least) is bang up to date.

Excellent. I'm learning a lot from this thread, too. Memory sticks,
and such things.

Didn't know that you were a member of the 'oily driveway' brigade g

Heh. Oily trailer ATM. Plan is to do a bit of work this summer.

Any idea how much music fits into one of these machines ?

My wife's iPod is 2GB, which apparently equates to around 500 tracks.

The music file on my hard drive is 19GB, and probably contains in excess
of 3000 tracks.

I think I'd want one which allowed different memory sticks or cards to
be inserted - unless, of course, the 'track capacity' of the things is
so great that it makes this irrelevant.

I think the largest iPod is currently 8GB, or 2000 tracks, but they can,
of course, be erased and replaced ad infinitum.

To put it into perspective, my days of long-distance driving are well
over - a long journey for us at the moment is the drive into Cork city
- which takes all of an hour and a half - and is only to be attempted
after packing survival rations, thermos flasks of tea and distress
flares. (Not a consequence of owning the Traveller - was like that
before !)

Sounds like us, driving to the bright lights of Perth or Aberdeen :-)
--
Graeme