Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme Graeme is offline

Default alternative in-car stereo / mp3 / comments please .. - slightly o/t

In message , Adrian
writes

Hi Adrian,

Firstly - apologies for the fact that the last 10 years' developments
in personal music technology seem to have passed me by...
but I've been busy at other things g

Yep, me too.

Like many others of my generation, (I suspect ) - I have a couple of
boxes of vinyl lps and singles, and cassette tapes in the shed....
despite being 'much loved' - they never seem to get played...

Yep, me too :-)

Sort of at the back of my mind for some time has been a plan to
dig out these 'classics' and transfer them to something more modern -
like CDs for instance.

Yep, me too - but it is long, tedious, boring work. I have now buried
my conscience and started downloading mp3 files wherever I can find
them, on the basis that I have paid for the music already. It may be
legally incorrect, but seems morally OK to me.

Then I got to thinking (always fatal !)
The new (old) car, a '64 Moggie Traveller needs some sort of music
system, if only to drown out the rattles and bangs.

One problem - your car is probably positive earth? My 68 Traveller is,
and I doubt many modern car stereo systems are anything other than
negative earth? Could alter the car, I suppose.

So - is there 'another way' to get the vinyl transferred into a format
that could be used in the car ?

Just be lazy like everyone else, and download mp3s.

I would then go for an iPod type player. My wife has one, and I must
admit to being impressed. Latest toy is a 'docking station' affair, so
that she can listen in the home without needing the ear plugs. There
are probably 12v versions designed for in car use?
--
Graeme