Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default alternative in-car stereo / mp3 / comments please .. - slightly o/t

HI Chris

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:29:26 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Adrian
writes
HI All

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:58:14 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Dwayne & Angela wrote:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ewsletter&U=07
P06-2_N62CK&T=11856821

or just illegally copy the tracks you want off the internet.

Adam
Is it illegal if he downloads tracks he already has on vinyl?

Yes, in this country anyway. We have no provision for format shifting or
taking backup copies etc.

(not like anyone cares, and that was to my first suggestion! ;-)

Call me old-fashioned - but I tend to prefer listening to what we used
to call 'an album' rather than individual tracks....

You can download albums as well.

Having said that - my few attempts to find 'free mp3 music' on the web
have met with failure - it seems that most of the so-called free'
sites have a sting in the tail - and require you to sign up for a
subscription of some sort. If anybody knows of genuinely 'free' mp3
then I'd be delighted to hear

All of MP3 is not free, but very cheap. Though there are issues with
paying for it now AIUI VISA blocks payment to them (Short version of the
backstory - Allof MP3 is based in Russia, they claim to be operating
under Russian law, which means they don't pay royalties etc., hence why
they are cheap. Hence, the RIAA, IFPI etc. are waging a campaign against
them)

For free you need to look at the P2P (Peer to Peer) arena such as the
Bittorrent or Gnutella

Many thanks...
Currently trawling through Gnutella with BearShare as a client -
very interesting......

OK - so I've found some music - quite a lot of which is already on
vinyl in the box in the shed (so I don't feel _too_ illegal !)

Now to look into actually playing it....

Many thanks
Adrian