Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default alternative in-car stereo / mp3 / comments please .. - slightly o/t

HI Graeme

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:11:37 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

In message , Adrian
writes

Hi Adrian,

Firstly - apologies for the fact that the last 10 years' developments
in personal music technology seem to have passed me by...
but I've been busy at other things g

Yep, me too.

That's a relief - thought it was just me !

Like many others of my generation, (I suspect ) - I have a couple of
boxes of vinyl lps and singles, and cassette tapes in the shed....
despite being 'much loved' - they never seem to get played...

Yep, me too :-)

I feel better already !

Sort of at the back of my mind for some time has been a plan to
dig out these 'classics' and transfer them to something more modern -
like CDs for instance.

Yep, me too

We should start a self-help group g

- but it is long, tedious, boring work. I have now buried
my conscience and started downloading mp3 files wherever I can find
them, on the basis that I have paid for the music already. It may be
legally incorrect, but seems morally OK to me.

Wonder where / how you find this free content ?
I did have a browse around a couple of months ago but all the Google
hits seemed to be 'free-once-you've-paid-us-some-money' - which isn't
quite my idea of free.

Then I got to thinking (always fatal !)
The new (old) car, a '64 Moggie Traveller needs some sort of music
system, if only to drown out the rattles and bangs.

One problem - your car is probably positive earth? My 68 Traveller is,
and I doubt many modern car stereo systems are anything other than
negative earth? Could alter the car, I suppose.

Nope - she's been converted to neg earth and got a bright, shiny new
alternator - so (in that respect at least) is bang up to date.
Didn't know that you were a member of the 'oily driveway' brigade g

So - is there 'another way' to get the vinyl transferred into a format
that could be used in the car ?

Just be lazy like everyone else, and download mp3s.

I would then go for an iPod type player. My wife has one, and I must
admit to being impressed. Latest toy is a 'docking station' affair, so
that she can listen in the home without needing the ear plugs. There
are probably 12v versions designed for in car use?

That was my original plan.
Any idea how much music fits into one of these machines ?
I think I'd want one which allowed different memory sticks or cards to
be inserted - unless, of course, the 'track capacity' of the things is
so great that it makes this irrelevant.

To put it into perspective, my days of long-distance driving are well
over - a long journey for us at the moment is the drive into Cork city
- which takes all of an hour and a half - and is only to be attempted
after packing survival rations, thermos flasks of tea and distress
flares. (Not a consequence of owning the Traveller - was like that
before !)

Many thanks
Adrian