Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT car stereo

Anyone know how to remove the stereo from a W reg vauxhall astra. I
don't have the manual and it's a pain. I removed the 4 small screws and
it's still not budging...

Sorry for the OT but i'm a desperate hombre

Cheers

Joe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:03:24 UTC, "JoeFaeGlesga"
wrote:

Anyone know how to remove the stereo from a W reg vauxhall astra. I
don't have the manual and it's a pain. I removed the 4 small screws and
it's still not budging...

Not OT, you're doing it yourself!

You need a pair of special 'tools'. Basically U-shaped wire loops,
parallel sides, that have little grooves on the ends. Push into the
pairs of holes each side (the screws merely blank the holes) until they
click. The tools then become handles and you can pull the radio out.
They disengage latches inside...

You can get these at some car radio dealers (others will say "trade
only, guv" or "security, can't sell you any") but persevere. If in east
Kent, I'll lend you mine - email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

You need a pair of special 'tools'. Basically U-shaped wire loops,

I replaced my car radio the other day and used a 4" bit of 2.5mm T&E.
Split the main conductors out (with their individual insulators still
on) and bend in a U shape. Shove into each hole and tada! Worked
perfectly.

JohnW

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Christian McArdle wrote:
Anyone know how to remove the stereo from a W reg vauxhall astra. I
don't have the manual and it's a pain. I removed the 4 small screws
and
it's still not budging...

After removing the grub screws, insert 2 standard DIN removal tools
into the holes. The next step requires a bit of a knack. However, it
involves pushing
the tools outwards, whilst pulling them towards you. It is easier
with a
radio cassette, as you can jam your fingers inside the slot and pull,
especially if you are blessed with having three hands.

Once the stereo is out, you may wish to also remove the cage if you
are
thinking of installing a non-Vauxhall stereo. This involves using a
screwdriver to pull the retaining tabs inside the cage. The cage then
slides forwards and if you are really lucky you might have enough
slack on the
cables to be able to get the cage out and disconnect the sockets.

http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/Tools/...o_Removal_Tool

Christian.

heh heh, I fashioned a set of 'removal tools' out of a wire coathanger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Anyone know how to remove the stereo from a W reg vauxhall astra. I
don't have the manual and it's a pain. I removed the 4 small screws and
it's still not budging...

After removing the grub screws, insert 2 standard DIN removal tools into
the
holes. The next step requires a bit of a knack. However, it involves
pushing
the tools outwards, whilst pulling them towards you. It is easier with a
radio cassette, as you can jam your fingers inside the slot and pull,
especially if you are blessed with having three hands.

If you cannot get a DIN removal tool at the local motor factors then 4 split
pins work well.

Once the stereo is out, you may wish to also remove the cage if you are
thinking of installing a non-Vauxhall stereo. This involves using a
screwdriver to pull the retaining tabs inside the cage. The cage then
slides
forwards and if you are really lucky you might have enough slack on the
cables to be able to get the cage out and disconnect the sockets.

I seem to recall that the vauxhall stereo sockets are clumped together as
one socket but they do split into 2 to allow them to fit non Vauxhall
stereos. For some reason Vauxhall have (or certainly used to have) the
permanent live and switched live the opposite way round to all other makers.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
I seem to recall that the vauxhall stereo sockets are clumped together as
one socket but they do split into 2 to allow them to fit non Vauxhall
stereos. For some reason Vauxhall have (or certainly used to have) the
permanent live and switched live the opposite way round to all other makers.

Adam

Yes my wife's X reg Zafira still has the permanent & switched lives
swapped over compared with most other makes. The rear sockets are
clumped together in the cage, but are only a push fit, so can be
removed from the cage giving one connector with power etc. and one with
the speaker connections, maybe a third for remore autochanger etc. on
some stereos.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Christian McArdle wrote:
I replaced my car radio the other day and used a 4" bit of 2.5mm T&E.
Split the main conductors out (with their individual insulators still
on) and bend in a U shape. Shove into each hole and tada! Worked
perfectly.

The advantage of the genuine tool (especially if well made), is that
they can provide a considerable amount of pulling force on the stereo.

Hand fashioned tools usually disengage the latches fine, but if
removing a CD player, there's often no way of pulling the thing out.

Christian.

eh ? every one I've ever done has /always/ just popped out easily.
with a bit of a wiggle. (I've done about a dozen stereo swaps)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hand fashioned tools usually disengage the latches fine, but if
removing a CD player, there's often no way of pulling the thing out.

eh ? every one I've ever done has /always/ just popped out easily.
with a bit of a wiggle. (I've done about a dozen stereo swaps)

Lucky you!

However, there is only so much wiggle you can give with a bit of 2.5mm T&E.
The wire just bends and although capable of disengaging the catches, doesn't
perform the secondary function of latching on to provide some pull force.

With some stereos this doesn't matter, either because they protrude enough
that you can get a grip on the fascia, or they are radio cassettes, so can
be pulled by the slot.

However, if you have a CD player, with no cassette slot, and a narrow low
profile fascia that you can't get any grip on, you really need the proper
tools.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Christian McArdle wrote:
Hand fashioned tools usually disengage the latches fine, but if
removing a CD player, there's often no way of pulling the thing out.

eh ? every one I've ever done has /always/ just popped out easily.
with a bit of a wiggle. (I've done about a dozen stereo swaps)

Lucky you!

However, there is only so much wiggle you can give with a bit of
2.5mm T&E. The wire just bends and although capable of disengaging
the catches, doesn't perform the secondary function of latching on to
provide some pull force.

which is why I use a _wire coathanger_, cut and bent to suit the release points.

With some stereos this doesn't matter, either because they protrude
enough that you can get a grip on the fascia, or they are radio
cassettes, so can be pulled by the slot.

However, if you have a CD player, with no cassette slot, and a narrow
low profile fascia that you can't get any grip on, you really need
the proper tools.

no you don't ! simply fashion a small hook from the coathanger to slip inside
the slot. be careful and you won't leave any scratches on the fascia.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bob Eager wrote:

You need a pair of special 'tools'. Basically U-shaped wire loops,

I replaced my car radio the other day and used a 4" bit of 2.5mm T&E.
Split the main conductors out (with their individual insulators still
on) and bend in a U shape. Shove into each hole and tada! Worked
perfectly.

That was lucky. I would have thought that 2.5 T&E would not allow you to
pull the stereo forwards. I have used 2.5 T&E to release the clips but I
also had access to the back of the stereo via the removed ashtray to push a
screwdriver through the holes in the cage to push the stereo forwards after
the clips were released.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

You can get these at some car radio dealers (others will say "trade
only, guv" or "security, can't sell you any") but persevere. If in east
Kent, I'll lend you mine - email me.

Halfords stock most of these tools.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:09:01 UTC, Bill wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes

You can get these at some car radio dealers (others will say "trade
only, guv" or "security, can't sell you any") but persevere. If in east
Kent, I'll lend you mine - email me.

Halfords stock most of these tools.

No Halfords here - they were forced out of business by a local
independent car spares shop!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

Anyone know how to remove the stereo from a W reg vauxhall astra. I
don't have the manual and it's a pain. I removed the 4 small screws and
it's still not budging...

Not OT, you're doing it yourself!

JoeFaeGlesga ?

but is it his ???

You need a pair of special 'tools'. Basically U-shaped wire loops,
parallel sides, that have little grooves on the ends. Push into the
pairs of holes each side (the screws merely blank the holes) until they
click. The tools then become handles and you can pull the radio out.
They disengage latches inside...

You can get these at some car radio dealers (others will say "trade
only, guv" or "security, can't sell you any") but persevere. If in east
Kent, I'll lend you mine - email me.

--
geoff