Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default OT car stereo

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Anyone know how to remove the stereo from a W reg vauxhall astra. I
don't have the manual and it's a pain. I removed the 4 small screws and
it's still not budging...

After removing the grub screws, insert 2 standard DIN removal tools into
the
holes. The next step requires a bit of a knack. However, it involves
pushing
the tools outwards, whilst pulling them towards you. It is easier with a
radio cassette, as you can jam your fingers inside the slot and pull,
especially if you are blessed with having three hands.

If you cannot get a DIN removal tool at the local motor factors then 4 split
pins work well.

Once the stereo is out, you may wish to also remove the cage if you are
thinking of installing a non-Vauxhall stereo. This involves using a
screwdriver to pull the retaining tabs inside the cage. The cage then
slides
forwards and if you are really lucky you might have enough slack on the
cables to be able to get the cage out and disconnect the sockets.

I seem to recall that the vauxhall stereo sockets are clumped together as
one socket but they do split into 2 to allow them to fit non Vauxhall
stereos. For some reason Vauxhall have (or certainly used to have) the
permanent live and switched live the opposite way round to all other makers.

Adam