noOne

Default Amazon Regrets?

If anyone is suddenly finding themselves regretting their impulse
Amazon binging last night, feel free to share with those of us less
fortunate. I have been looking for a good price on a dw735 for over a
month, totally unsuccessfully. And who wouldn't want a $100
compressor, or a $150 Dado King? Wait a minute, actually it's all
trash. ALL OF IT!!!! Because I'm the generous person that I am, I'll
be willing to take it off of your hands. I'd even offer you your full
purchase price. I figure this generosity will put me in the running
for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Seriously, though, nice score to those of you diligent enough to check
the newsgroup frequently. I'm just a little jealous is all. After
all, isn't that what Christmas is all about?

Well done.

NoOne289

When asked "Who didn't benefit from the insane Amazon discounts" your
response would be "NoOne". Oh, yeah and Amazon. Bums, all of you.

Mike S.

My order for the radial arm saw showed up until after lunch. Now it shows I
didn't order anything. If they are not going to honor their prices shown
they ought to at least send out
a email explaining what happened. Hopes dashed and gloat gone.

Mike S.

Boltman

Same thing happened to my Unisaw order. Think it is worth calling them?
-Aaron

"Boltman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Same thing happened to my Unisaw order. Think it is worth calling them?
-Aaron

You might want to and see what is going on as my compressor and dado seem to
have shipped.

DateTimeLocation Service AreaCheckpoint Details
Nov 19, 2004 04:01:47 PM Grand Forks ND US SHIPPED

DateTimeLocation Service AreaCheckpoint Details
Nov 19, 2004 02:51:02 PM Grand Forks ND US SHIPPED

-j

Daddyman

Nope, I did and got the standard
"it was canceled due to a pricing error. We apologize for the
inconvenience."
Dude said he'd submit the order to his supervisor to see if it can be
reactivated.
I'm not holding my breath.

And yes, an explaination email would have been nice.

Russ

"Boltman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Same thing happened to my Unisaw order. Think it is worth calling them?
-Aaron

Todd Fatheree

"noOne" wrote in message
ups.com...
If anyone is suddenly finding themselves regretting their impulse
Amazon binging last night, feel free to share with those of us less
fortunate. I have been looking for a good price on a dw735 for over a
month, totally unsuccessfully. And who wouldn't want a $100
compressor, or a $150 Dado King? Wait a minute, actually it's all
trash. ALL OF IT!!!! Because I'm the generous person that I am, I'll
be willing to take it off of your hands. I'd even offer you your full
purchase price. I figure this generosity will put me in the running
for a Nobel Peace Prize.

Seriously, though, nice score to those of you diligent enough to check
the newsgroup frequently. I'm just a little jealous is all. After
all, isn't that what Christmas is all about?

Well done.

Well, I ordered the PC kit, and I'll believe it when it gets delivered. And
heck, if Arafat can get a Nobel Peace Prize, anybody can.

todd

Ba r r y

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:04:55 -0800, "J" wrote:

"Boltman" wrote in message
roups.com...
Same thing happened to my Unisaw order. Think it is worth calling them?
-Aaron

You might want to and see what is going on as my compressor and dado seem to
have shipped.

My wife made an interesting point. The compressor and dado seem
almost as if someone posted Amazon's cost instead of selling price.
A.K.A. wrong column from a price list. $149 for a Dado King and $100
for the compressor sound a lot like typical wholesale prices.

The Unisaw's a bit weird. I find $400 something to be well below what
the wholesale cost should be. If wholesale was that low, somebody
would be probably be selling them for $800, new. I would expect a
Unisaw to go $700-800 wholesale.

Barry
max

I work at a camera store in SF. Amazon approached us to see if we would be a
vendor for them. They said they work on an 8 % margin. Whatever we offer for
sale, we ship from our location and the pay us the sale price less 8%. It
sounded like a good deal except that they will not deal with sales tax and
we have to charge tax for In state sales. We had to turn them down. I wonder
if their margin is 8% for everything?
max

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:04:55 -0800, "J" wrote:

"Boltman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Same thing happened to my Unisaw order. Think it is worth calling them?
-Aaron

You might want to and see what is going on as my compressor and dado seem to
have shipped.

My wife made an interesting point. The compressor and dado seem
almost as if someone posted Amazon's cost instead of selling price.
A.K.A. wrong column from a price list. $149 for a Dado King and $100
for the compressor sound a lot like typical wholesale prices.

The Unisaw's a bit weird. I find $400 something to be well below what
the wholesale cost should be. If wholesale was that low, somebody
would be probably be selling them for $800, new. I would expect a
Unisaw to go $700-800 wholesale.

Barry

Todd Fatheree

"J" wrote in message
"Boltman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Same thing happened to my Unisaw order. Think it is worth calling them?
-Aaron

You might want to and see what is going on as my compressor and dado seem

have shipped.

DateTimeLocation Service AreaCheckpoint Details
Nov 19, 2004 04:01:47 PM Grand Forks ND US SHIPPED

DateTimeLocation Service AreaCheckpoint Details
Nov 19, 2004 02:51:02 PM Grand Forks ND US SHIPPED

My suspicion is that you got your order in early and it shipped before
Amazon figured out their mistake. I wasn't so lucky. But I don't hold a
grudge. I figured it was probably too good to be true.

todd

Ba r r y

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:48:21 GMT, max wrote:

I work at a camera store in SF. Amazon approached us to see if we would be a
vendor for them. They said they work on an 8 % margin. Whatever we offer for
sale, we ship from our location and the pay us the sale price less 8%. It
sounded like a good deal except that they will not deal with sales tax and
we have to charge tax for In state sales. We had to turn them down. I wonder
if their margin is 8% for everything?

I have two local guys who routinely beat their tool prices. Tools
don't retail at an 8% margin. The 8% is simply Amazon steering extra
sales to the existing camera store.

However, they may get 8% of Tool Crib's margin. The wholesale prices
I spoke of could be Tool Crib's price. AFAIK, Amazon owns Tool Crib.

Barry
daryl1138

"Daddyman" wrote in message news:x4vnd.667$0k1.224@trnddc08...
Nope, I did and got the standard
"it was canceled due to a pricing error. We apologize for the
inconvenience."
Dude said he'd submit the order to his supervisor to see if it can be
reactivated.
I'm not holding my breath.

And yes, an explaination email would have been nice.

Russ

"Boltman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Same thing happened to my Unisaw order. Think it is worth calling them?
-Aaron

Not sure what state (or country) your in but here in Michigan they can
get pretty hefty fines for this. If the order is taken they have to
sell one unit even if the price is in error. This applies to
interstate commerce as well as I understand it. Here it is called the
pricing and scanner law. You might want to look up any such laws in
your state and pursue it further.

Daryl
Daddyman

Hi Daryl,
I'm next door in Wisconsin.
I've had two emails with them and they're holding firm to their website
posted policies regarding misprices.
Personally I think they're shooting themselves in the foot on this one.
Generally, the revenue lost by ****ing off customers usually far outweighs
the $$ lost to keep them.
I won't shop there, my friends will be recommended against shopping there,
their families... and the snowball grows.
If the upper management had foresite they would have honored the sales,
presented the moneys lost to the bean counters as a marketing expense
promoting their new amazon credit card and used it as a tax write off. (it's
just numbers on paper, right?)
Then I'd be a shopper for life because they were a stand up company who
really did care.
But, this company seems to put shareholders needs over customers. (customer
support has been outsourced, correct?)

The computer parts site Newegg.com had this happen to them a few years ago.
They had a website error that listed a product (I believe it was memory
sticks) for 1/10 their usual selling price.
A posting was made on a message board and a selling frenzy ensued.
Newegg caught the error and cancelled all the orders.
Shortly there after, the chatrooms and boards were ablaze with furious
customers who vowed never to shop or recommend newegg again.
Newegg upon seeing this turned around and honored every single original
order placed at the botched price.
The result? Happy customers who are still generating revenue for them to
this day.
Me, I've bought thousands of dollars worth of gear from them because they
are a stand up company.

Amazon thinks its the biggest dog on the porch, but a pre-Walmart Kmart and
Sears probably did too.
Time will tell.
Sorry for the rant, I've wanted to vent this for a while.

take care of yourself,
Russ

"daryl1138" wrote in message
m...
"Daddyman" wrote in message
Nope, I did and got the standard
"it was canceled due to a pricing error. We apologize for the
inconvenience."
Dude said he'd submit the order to his supervisor to see if it can be
reactivated.
I'm not holding my breath.

And yes, an explaination email would have been nice.

Russ

"Boltman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Same thing happened to my Unisaw order. Think it is worth calling them?
-Aaron

Not sure what state (or country) your in but here in Michigan they can
get pretty hefty fines for this. If the order is taken they have to
sell one unit even if the price is in error. This applies to
interstate commerce as well as I understand it. Here it is called the
pricing and scanner law. You might want to look up any such laws in
your state and pursue it further.

Daryl

Todd Fatheree

"Daddyman" wrote in message
Hi Daryl,
I'm next door in Wisconsin.
I've had two emails with them and they're holding firm to their website
posted policies regarding misprices.

Russ, did you clear the content of this post with Bob? It sounds like it
might not be 100% about woodworking. Our new moderator, Bob, probably would
not approve. You've been given fair warning.

todd

Daddyman

LOL
Yeah, thanks for the warning. I'll keep the front door deadbolted tonight
just in case.
(striker plate opening created with a chisel and hammer, everyone happy now?

take care,
Russ

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in message
"Daddyman" wrote in message
Hi Daryl,
I'm next door in Wisconsin.
I've had two emails with them and they're holding firm to their website
posted policies regarding misprices.

Russ, did you clear the content of this post with Bob? It sounds like it
might not be 100% about woodworking. Our new moderator, Bob, probably
would
not approve. You've been given fair warning.

todd

mark

But, this company seems to put shareholders needs over customers.
(customer support has been outsourced, correct?)

Yeah, but...didn't you realize it must have been a pricing error to begin
with? I guess I'm just saying that it it were me, I would be happy and
surprised if they honored it, but I wouldn't be ****ed off if they didn't.
I really wouldn't have expected them to, especially if it were below their
cost. pre-internet, if something was marked wrong on the shelf, they would
have to sell maybe one or two to avoid ****ing someone off. Now, when
newsgroups exist, and 1500 people jump on something like a memory stick, it
becomes a large dollar amount very quickly. I'm really surprised they
agreed to eat it. If you were selling your car, and you put it in the paper
for 20,000, and they misprinted 2,000, would you sell it to the first caller
for 2 grand?

Daddyman

Yeah, but...didn't you realize it must have been a pricing error to begin
with?

Yes and no. The dado King very well could have been a blowout to move
inventory or to make way for a new model.
The other 'pricing errors' were mainly Delta and Porter Cable items. With
the B&D acquission, contracts may have expired and new terms drawn up.
Depot after all did some serious cuts when they did away with the Bessey's
and they didn't advertise that either.

I guess I'm just saying that it it were me, I would be happy and surprised
if they honored it, but I wouldn't be ****ed off if they didn't.

I never said I was ****ed.
My apologies to the group if I came across with that impression.
My quote-
"Generally, the revenue lost by ****ing off customers usually far outweighs
the $$ lost to keep them."
-was a broad statement taught to anyone in management.
It's where 'the customer is always right' stemmed from.

Truthfully I didn't expect my order to be honored either.
I was mearly stating how I felt they could have handled it differantly.
Canceled orders, no explanation given, generic email sent many many hours
later, taking no acountability for their actions...

I'm really surprised they agreed to eat it.

No kidding, that took some serious stones! But the result proved itself in
their longterm customer base.
Like I said, I'm a permanent customer of Newegg not because they gave
discounts to people I don't know, but because they respect their
ustomers. ----- If I have a problem with a purchased item I know they care
enough to be there if I need them -----
It's not all lip service with them and that means alot to me.

If you were selling your car, and you put it in the paper for 20,000, and
they misprinted 2,000, would you sell it to the first caller for 2 grand?

Bad example bro, apples and oranges.
If I sell a car in the paper, I still own it. The paper is just a marketing
tool to advertise my sale.
Amazon on the other hand is the owner and advertiser of the blades. They
hold their own liability.

WOOD

take care of yourself,
Russ

Charlie Self

Daddyman responds:

If you were selling your car, and you put it in the paper for 20,000, and
they misprinted 2,000, would you sell it to the first caller for 2 grand?

Bad example bro, apples and oranges.
If I sell a car in the paper, I still own it. The paper is just a marketing
tool to advertise my sale.
Amazon on the other hand is the owner and advertiser of the blades. They
hold their own liability.

Almost every ad I've seen carries an implicit "not responsible for typos" in
it, and some are quite explicit.

The newspaper ad and the on-line ad are not apples and oranges, but different
species of apple. It is still a typo and no reasonable customer expects a
seller to adhere to a price that is going to lose them money on every sale,
whether they're selling cars or bedsheets or dado sets.

The customer is not always right. But he is always the customer. Amazon has
never been noted for its gentle treatment of customers, IIRC.

Still, in such a case, I wouldn't have expected them to adhere to the incorrect
price. But, then, I'm the kind of stupe who returns change to cashiers who give
me too much change after my purchase.

Charlie Self
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
nothing."
Redd Foxx
Ba r r y

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:11:29 GMT, "Daddyman"
wrote:

Yeah, but...didn't you realize it must have been a pricing error to begin
with?

Yes and no. The dado King very well could have been a blowout to move
inventory or to make way for a new model.

I was thrilled to see a charge on my credit card this morning for the
Dado King. The package tracked to the UPS hub in Louisville.

Now the order is "temporarily unavailable" in Amazon's system! 8^(

Barry
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:22:12 GMT, Ba r r y wrote:

I was thrilled to see a charge on my credit card this morning for the
Dado King. The package tracked to the UPS hub in Louisville.
Now the order is "temporarily unavailable" in Amazon's system! 8^(

Can I issue a pre-emptive, global, "Well, I _did_ tell you so" at this
point, without sounding like a snot? I've been down this road with
Amazon before, and until it's in your hands, they can and will call it
back if it's a big enough error.

Dave "No? Well, just checking" Hinz
mark

If you were selling your car, and you put it in the paper for 20,000, and
they misprinted 2,000, would you sell it to the first caller for 2 grand?

Bad example bro, apples and oranges.
If I sell a car in the paper, I still own it. The paper is just a
marketing tool to advertise my sale.
Amazon on the other hand is the owner and advertiser of the blades. They
hold their own liability.

Yeah, I realized that after I typed it. But there isn't any undo button for
that one...

Ba r r y

On 22 Nov 2004 18:41:32 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Can I issue a pre-emptive, global, "Well, I _did_ tell you so" at this
point, without sounding like a snot?

$149 DK has arrived at my local airport from Louisville. It's still
headed in the right direction...

Barry

daryl1138

(Larry Bud) wrote in message . com...
(daryl1138) wrote in message om...
"Daddyman" wrote in message news:x4vnd.667$0k1.224@trnddc08...
Nope, I did and got the standard
"it was canceled due to a pricing error. We apologize for the
inconvenience."
Dude said he'd submit the order to his supervisor to see if it can be
reactivated.
I'm not holding my breath.

And yes, an explaination email would have been nice.

Russ

"Boltman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Same thing happened to my Unisaw order. Think it is worth calling them?
-Aaron

Not sure what state (or country) your in but here in Michigan they can
get pretty hefty fines for this. If the order is taken they have to
sell one unit even if the price is in error. This applies to
interstate commerce as well as I understand it. Here it is called the
pricing and scanner law. You might want to look up any such laws in
your state and pursue it further.

IIRC, the scanner law only applies to 10% of the difference up to $5.

Retailers should not be held accountable for accidentally displaying
wrong prices. Nobody is perfect. If it's a bait and switch however,
there ought to be penalties.

As a web programmer, I can certainly understand how a mistake like
this could occur. What Amazon could do is offer a $25 or $50 gift
certificate for those people affected, just as good business policy.

FYI, The scanner law also stipulates that once the firm acknowledges
an order they are bound to it as in a contract. Once again, this law
will vary state to state.

Amazon used to be a good place to go for tools. I've bought several
hundred dollars there in years past. I recall a post about a year ago
they shipped customer service overseas (India as I recall). I can't
verify that is true but it does fit well with the time their service
went through the floor.

Lucky for me it led to discovering other sources such as Lee Valley
who still know what customer service means.
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:44:43 GMT, Ba r r y wrote:
On 22 Nov 2004 18:41:32 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Can I issue a pre-emptive, global, "Well, I _did_ tell you so" at this
point, without sounding like a snot?

$149 DK has arrived at my local airport from Louisville. It's still
headed in the right direction...

Well, I hope it works for ya! I've just "been there, done that" already,
so, well, hope it works.

Dave

Lars

This is not meant to be a gloat, but just words of optimism for those
who still have outstanding orders from Amazon's Thursday evening "fire"
sale:

Among other amazon items, my deep-discount-priced unisaw arrived today!
I realize that I am incredibly lucky, but I also feel a bit guilty
given that not everyone won the amazon lottery (or even got a lottery
ticket in time). ... But not guilty enough to give up my saw.

Good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting.

NOTME

Mine is, at this time, still in the "We are preparing these items for
shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed."
phase. I ordered the saw before posting and I am still trying to figure out
how you got yours shipped first. Congrats on having physical custody of
what appeared to be a dream.

Jeff

"Lars" wrote in message
This is not meant to be a gloat, but just words of optimism for those
who still have outstanding orders from Amazon's Thursday evening "fire"
sale:

Among other amazon items, my deep-discount-priced unisaw arrived today!
I realize that I am incredibly lucky, but I also feel a bit guilty
given that not everyone won the amazon lottery (or even got a lottery
ticket in time). ... But not guilty enough to give up my saw.

Good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Lars wrote:
This is not meant to be a gloat, but just words of optimism for those
who still have outstanding orders from Amazon's Thursday evening "fire"
sale:

Among other amazon items, my deep-discount-priced unisaw arrived today!
I realize that I am incredibly lucky, but I also feel a bit guilty
given that not everyone won the amazon lottery (or even got a lottery
ticket in time). ... But not guilty enough to give up my saw.

Good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting.

So what did you end up paying for it? I got screwed out of my Porter Cable brad
nailer / compressor combo. Then today I stupidly ordered something from them
before I read any of the customer reviews. Upon reflection, I decided to cancel
the order. I got that "order has entered the shipping process and can't be
cancelled" crap... even though the order was no more than ten minutes old! I
called my credit card company and they told me Amazon had already nailed me.

So I sent them an email: cancel the order or cancel the account. I don't have
much hope they'll do the right thing. Assholes.

Anyway, I'm glad SOMEBODY got to screw them.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Lars

I think I ordered it before your posting, but I did not read the news
group before ordering it so I am not sure of the timing. I did notice
that when I ordered it, the amazon site stated that there were 6 units
left. I think this was aournd 5-6pm central time.

I hope you get your saw.

Lars

Lars

My memory is faulty. I just checked my email receipt from amazon and
it is dated/timed at 7:08pm on Thursday.

Lars S

Only $447.85 (The list was $479.99, less $25 for a Delta purchase and
less an A9 instant reward of $7.14).

Ba r r y

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:30:57 -0600, Lars
wrote:

Among other amazon items, my deep-discount-priced unisaw arrived today!
I realize that I am incredibly lucky, but I also feel a bit guilty
given that not everyone won the amazon lottery (or even got a lottery
ticket in time). ... But not guilty enough to give up my saw.

Enjoy it, as you mega-suck!

My Dado King is due any minute. G

Barry

Ba r r y

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:33:26 GMT, max wrote:

Me too, except feeling no guilt. My Dewalt 735 arrived today. I am thrilled.
Thanks to whoever posted the discounted prices.

What did the 735 cost?

Barry
igor

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:49:31 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

So what did you end up paying for it? I got screwed out of my Porter Cable brad
nailer / compressor combo. Then today I stupidly ordered something from them
before I read any of the customer reviews. Upon reflection, I decided to cancel
the order. I got that "order has entered the shipping process and can't be
cancelled" crap... even though the order was no more than ten minutes old! I
called my credit card company and they told me Amazon had already nailed me.

So I sent them an email: cancel the order or cancel the account. I don't have
much hope they'll do the right thing. Assholes.

Anyway, I'm glad SOMEBODY got to screw them.

This is what I have done in similar situation with them: Refuse delivery
(nicely to the delivery person), it goes back to Amazon and they refund the
money. I've even had this happen without having to make a call or an
e-mail YMMV. -- Igor

Ba r r y

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 02:26:35 GMT, max wrote:

$332 delivered

WOW!

Barry