Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Assembly Bench Completed

A week or so back I posted pictures of the workbench/assembly table that
I was building and finally today I am just about finished. I'm debating
whether to add 2 attachment bolts to hold the two units together.

I elected to not drill the 32,548 holes in the top.... My Festool work
table has enough. ;~)

The legs. With material storage on the wings that stick out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

All set up with a full sheet of plywood on top.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I jumped up to sit in the middle of one side. Not a sound did I hear....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 7:33:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
A week or so back I posted pictures of the workbench/assembly table that
I was building and finally today I am just about finished. I'm debating
whether to add 2 attachment bolts to hold the two units together.

I elected to not drill the 32,548 holes in the top.... My Festool work
table has enough. ;~)

The legs. With material storage on the wings that stick out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

All set up with a full sheet of plywood on top.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I jumped up to sit in the middle of one side. Not a sound did I hear....

Very nice.

How heavy is each section? Where will you keep them when the table isn't being used?
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 7:33:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
A week or so back I posted pictures of the workbench/assembly table that
I was building and finally today I am just about finished. I'm debating
whether to add 2 attachment bolts to hold the two units together.

I elected to not drill the 32,548 holes in the top.... My Festool work
table has enough. ;~)

The legs. With material storage on the wings that stick out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

All set up with a full sheet of plywood on top.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I jumped up to sit in the middle of one side. Not a sound did I hear....

Very nice.

Thank you.

How heavy is each section? Where will you keep them when the table isn't being used?

Weight, not sure. Probably 50 ish. Lbs each. Light enough for me to pick
up in the middle and carry around by my self. Think about the weight of a
single sheet of 1/2" plywood. Just a little more than that. Because the
sides, ends, and inner supports have the middles cut out they are just a
few pounds total. Each section is 20"x96".

I think I will be standing them on their ends at a wall just behind the end
of the garage door support rail. I have 9' ceilings in my garage so that
should not be an issue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 05:37:26 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 7:33:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
A week or so back I posted pictures of the workbench/assembly table that
I was building and finally today I am just about finished. I'm debating
whether to add 2 attachment bolts to hold the two units together.

I elected to not drill the 32,548 holes in the top.... My Festool work
table has enough. ;~)

The legs. With material storage on the wings that stick out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

All set up with a full sheet of plywood on top.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I jumped up to sit in the middle of one side. Not a sound did I hear....

Very nice.

How heavy is each section? Where will you keep them when the table isn't being used?

The ceiling of a garage is a good place for a lot of this sort of
thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
A week or so back I posted pictures of the workbench/assembly table that
I was building and finally today I am just about finished.Â* I'm debating
whether to add 2 attachment bolts to hold the two units together.

I elected to not drill the 32,548 holes in the top.... My Festool work
table has enough.Â* ;~)

The legs. With material storage on the wings that stick out.

I had wondered the purpose of the wings in the construction photos
earlier...

Flat assembly surfaces are always near priceless--what's the height; I
made mine somewhat lower so a 30" or so piece on top wasn't out of reach
or such a strain to reach...but they weren't nearly so fancily-built,
either!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I used to store stuff like that way up there, total PIA, plus my cieling
are 12~16" taller now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
A week or so back I posted pictures of the workbench/assembly table
that I was building and finally today I am just about finished.Â* I'm
debating whether to add 2 attachment bolts to hold the two units
together.

I elected to not drill the 32,548 holes in the top.... My Festool work
table has enough.Â* ;~)

The legs. With material storage on the wings that stick out.

I had wondered the purpose of the wings in the construction photos
earlier...

Flat assembly surfaces are always near priceless

Pre-cicely! Worthe their weight in gold!

-what's the height;
I mentioned earlier 50 lbs ish but maybe less, The top and bottom on one
side add up to 40" x 96". All vertical pieces are hollowed put, 2 long
on the sides and 5 shot perpendicular to the sides.
Just a hair over the weight od a full sheet of 1/2" ply. Light enough
to not be concerned about setting up and breaking down by my self.

made mine somewhat lower so a 30" or so piece on top wasn't out of reach
or such a strain to reach...but they weren't nearly so fancily-built,
either!Â*

--

I wanted large the large flat area as a work surface. I assemble FF's
and I want them to be flat. This should work for those. IIRC this is

A close look and this ain't so fancy, no sir! ;~) I was not going for
purdy so much as functional.

I will say the blue nylon webbing/straps to replace hinges and to limit
the splay of the legs works surprisingly well. I think I got 25' of it
for $11.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
A week or so back I posted pictures of the workbench/assembly table
that I was building and finally today I am just about finished.Â* I'm
debating whether to add 2 attachment bolts to hold the two units
together.

I elected to not drill the 32,548 holes in the top.... My Festool work
table has enough.Â* ;~)

The legs. With material storage on the wings that stick out.

I had wondered the purpose of the wings in the construction photos
earlier...

Forgot to address in my precious response.

The top wing, if you will notice, extends out a few inches further than
the lower wings.

It extends past the side of the work surface so that I can have a place
to put my track with parallel guides. It is normally an issue finding a
place to put it when working with multiple sheets of plywood.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I used to store all my ladders hanging from the ceiling. I had pulleys
and lines for each one to help put them away. Worked well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:27:38 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

See? The fishing works. ;-)

I like it. A lot! How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface. I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Flat surface doors make great make-shift work surfaces.
I've been known to buy hollow core cheapies for on-site work benches.
Dead flat, light, cheap.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I've picked up a few hollow core door over the years 'cuz I kept hearing
that they are "Dead flat, light, cheap". Maybe it's the doors I've tried
'cuz I only get 2 out of 3 and dead flat ain't one of them.

This style:

https://i.imgur.com/kwcSS1q.jpg

The lower face of the main one in the picture is convex, the other one (on
the right) is concave, as shown he

https://i.imgur.com/HzfZ1G3.jpg

I've tossed 2 or 3 more that were also not flat.

On the flip side, last week I ran across a local place on Offer-Up that has
dozens of salvaged workbenches of all shapes and sizes. Some workbench tops
without legs also. The guy was tossing around prices of $50 for tops, up to
$150 for complete benches. I wasn't dressed to dig around and crawl through
a salvage warehouse and I didn't have a straightedge with me anyway, but I'll
be going back.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Maybe it's a regional thing and I'm sure it varies by lot, but the ones
I've gotten have pretty darn nice.
Also, I guess "dead flat" is relative to the context and applications.
I don't mean dead flat like a granite machinists table.
I mean dead flat for portable work surfaces when compared to a couple
2x4s sitting across sawhorses with a sheet of whatever on top.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2018 5:32 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:10:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I kept full sheets of plywood up there. ;~(
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

LOL

I like it. A lot! How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

Well preciousely I cut on top of a grid of 2x4's and they were not flat
like this. I used a sheet of foam insulation board between sheets to
take the blade hit.

Ron Paulk, just uses thin strips of scrap plywood under the cut and to
support the keeper and waste side. I'm going to try that.

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface. I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

If room was no object..... ;~) Your method sounds great.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
A week or so back I posted pictures of the workbench/assembly table
that I was building and finally today I am just about finished.Â* I'm
debating whether to add 2 attachment bolts to hold the two units
together.

I elected to not drill the 32,548 holes in the top.... My Festool work
table has enough.Â* ;~)

The legs. With material storage on the wings that stick out.

I had wondered the purpose of the wings in the construction photos
earlier...

Forgot to address in my precious response.

The top wing, if you will notice, extends out a few inches further than
the lower wings.

It extends past the side of the work surface so that I can have a place
to put my track with parallel guides.Â* It is normally an issue finding a
place to put it when working with multiple sheets of plywood.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

See?Â* The fishing works.Â* ;-)

I like it.Â* A lot!Â* How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface.Â* I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

Flat surface doors make great make-shift work surfaces.
I've been known to buy hollow core cheapies for on-site work benches.
Dead flat, light, cheap.

And that is a great use of those cheapie doors too. LOL

I finally wanted something 96" long and wider, 40". I can sit in the
middle of these torsion box sections and I get about 1/16" deflection.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 20:40:25 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/18/2018 5:32 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:10:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You said your bench top wasn't as heavy as a sheet of plywood. Didn't
the plywood sag? I wouldn't think that would be a good way to store
sheet goods.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I've used 2x4s, too, but they're all twisted differently. Kinda
defeats the purpose of a flat top. Foam insulation board had crossed
my mind but foam is a PITA to get rid of.

Ron Paulk, just uses thin strips of scrap plywood under the cut and to
support the keeper and waste side. I'm going to try that.

Nice idea. At least they'll lie flat.

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface. I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

If room was no object..... ;~) Your method sounds great.

No object at all. As long as it stays in the basement, SWMBO doesn't
object. ;-) It's my 2000ft^2+ man cave. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2018 9:04 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 20:44:24 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Well the piece I have has the aluminum skin on both sides. There is
little to no foam escaping. But after using this piece for about 7
years it is getting to where it dies not lay flat. Seems to want to bow
on the side that has the most cuts. BUT it tends to be kinda easy to
break and can be a PIA.

Ron Paulk, just uses thin strips of scrap plywood under the cut and to
support the keeper and waste side. I'm going to try that.

Nice idea. At least they'll lie flat.

Yeah, but who has scraps. LOL

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface. I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

If room was no object..... ;~) Your method sounds great.

No object at all. As long as it stays in the basement, SWMBO doesn't
object. ;-) It's my 2000ft^2+ man cave. ;-)

That is like my whole house. LOL.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2018 8:57 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 20:40:25 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/18/2018 5:32 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:10:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I had a support system made up of 2x4's that had an interior opening of
54" wide and spaced 2' apart for 8'. The plywood would have had to bow
between the 2' spans. And I mostly had 3/4" sheet goods up there. AND
that was in a 2 car garage above the garage door.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/18/2018 6:41 PM, wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

See? The fishing works. ;-)

I like it. A lot! How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface. I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

Wasn't it you that bought that goofy accordion folding work table "the
centipede" I think it was called? Everyone got all over the Comet
cause he thought it looked gimmick-ee.

Anyway, this thing Leon built I've seen on YouTube before. Looks ok but
takes up lots of floor/wall space. I have neither left. Too damn many
tools/cabinets etc for that thing. I have a 7' tool cabinet on wheels
the same height as my Tsaw. So with that, and extensions front and side
on the TSaw that works together as a 7x7' sanding/painting/assembly table.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/19/18 4:30 PM, Jack wrote:
On 2/18/2018 6:41 PM, wrote:

[...]

I think you're referring to me.
I bought the centipede and the jury is still out on it.
It *is* super portable and convenient but I just don't find myself drawn
to use it very often.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Hollow Core are not dead flat. A solid core door has a better chance
since they are particle board usually.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

They are flatter than two 2x4's and certainly flat enough for a
temporary work surface.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/19/2018 4:30 PM, Jack wrote:
On 2/18/2018 6:41 PM, wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

See?* The fishing works.* ;-)

I like it.* A lot!* How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface.* I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

Wasn't it you that bought that goofy accordion folding work table "the
centipede" I think it was called?** Everyone got all over the Comet
cause he thought it looked gimmick-ee.

Anyway, this thing Leon built I've seen on YouTube before.* Looks ok but
takes up lots of floor/wall space.

When not in use and being stored it has a foot print of 20"x17". You
probably take up more space when you are staining in the shop.

I have neither left.* Too damn many
tools/cabinets etc for that thing.* I have a 7' tool cabinet on wheels
the same height as my Tsaw.* So with that, and extensions front and side
on the TSaw that works together as a 7x7' sanding/painting/assembly table.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/18 8:31 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/19/2018 4:30 PM, Jack wrote:
On 2/18/2018 6:41 PM, wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

See?* The fishing works.* ;-)

I like it.* A lot!* How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface.* I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

Wasn't it you that bought that goofy accordion folding work table "the
centipede" I think it was called?** Everyone got all over the Comet
cause he thought it looked gimmick-ee.

Anyway, this thing Leon built I've seen on YouTube before.* Looks ok
but takes up lots of floor/wall space.

When not in use and being stored it has a foot print of 20"x17".* You
probably take up more space when you are staining in the shop.

Depends on what you're staining, right? :-p
Yeah, yeah, I know what you meant.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

That's what I use but they're a tad heavy for a portable or worksite
bench.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 17:30:25 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/18/2018 6:41 PM, wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

See? The fishing works. ;-)

I like it. A lot! How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface. I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

Wasn't it you that bought that goofy accordion folding work table "the
centipede" I think it was called? Everyone got all over the Comet
cause he thought it looked gimmick-ee.

We talked about these but, no, I didn't buy one. I looked at them but
decided that I really didn't need such portability. For outside use,
I have a six or eight of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOUGHBUILT-41-5-in-Folding-Sawhorse-TB-C550/205068379

Anyway, this thing Leon built I've seen on YouTube before. Looks ok but
takes up lots of floor/wall space. I have neither left. Too damn many
tools/cabinets etc for that thing. I have a 7' tool cabinet on wheels
the same height as my Tsaw. So with that, and extensions front and side
on the TSaw that works together as a 7x7' sanding/painting/assembly table.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 6:33:55 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

All set up with a full sheet of plywood on top.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I jumped up to sit in the middle of one side. Not a sound did I hear....

Getting to the party late.

Considering the size, weight, portability, etc., that's a practical solution for many folks. Neat idea, good job.

I see you have some planters, there. I suspect there's a Festool thumb joke lurking about, but I'm getting too far OT, already.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2018 6:29 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 6:33:55 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

All set up with a full sheet of plywood on top.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

I jumped up to sit in the middle of one side. Not a sound did I hear....

Getting to the party late.

Considering the size, weight, portability, etc., that's a practical solution for many folks. Neat idea, good job.

All credit goes to Ron Paulk the designer. I bought the plans from him
to help support his efforts. I ended up modifying size like most erery
one else. I wanted flat, and that is what I think I got. ;~)

I see you have some planters, there. I suspect there's a Festool thumb joke lurking about, but I'm getting too far OT, already.

Yeah, they are to replace some 6 year old Jack Daniels Whiskey barrels.
We'll see how well they hold up. I bought them BTW. ;~)

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 10:15:09 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Yeah, they are to replace some 6 year old Jack Daniels Whiskey barrels.
We'll see how well they hold up. I bought them BTW. ;~)

Yep, I'm familiar with those planters. They eventually decay. Taking a cue from those barrels (giving a try at barrel and bucket making), long ago I made this planter bucket/home decor, adding an accent rope handle: https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

With our near 80° weather, I'm getting the spring-planting fever, also.. Monday, I mowed some of Mom's grass and thought about overhauling one flower bed and tilling the garden. I just don't have the all-day energy to multitask, that way, any more. The spring-time to-do list is growing. Jonas' son came over to help mow, as well.... about 3 acres to mow. I washed his car, while he mowed.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 10:15:09 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Yeah, they are to replace some 6 year old Jack Daniels Whiskey barrels.
We'll see how well they hold up. I bought them BTW. ;~)

Yep, I'm familiar with those planters. They eventually decay. Taking a
cue from those barrels (giving a try at barrel and bucket making), long
ago I made this planter bucket/home decor, adding an accent rope handle:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Cool planter. Did you make the plant too? :-)

With our near 80° weather, I'm getting the spring-planting fever, also.
Monday, I mowed some of Mom's grass and thought about overhauling one
flower bed and tilling the garden. I just don't have the all-day energy
to multitask, that way, any more. The spring-time to-do list is
growing. Jonas' son came over to help mow, as well.... about 3 acres to
mow. I washed his car, while he mowed.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 8:17:53 AM UTC-6, Leon Bridges wrote:

Cool planter. Did you make the plant too? :-)

LOL. No, it's fake, though. Most of these types of projects are given to friends or family. This planter is at Mom's.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2018 9:31 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/19/2018 4:30 PM, Jack wrote:
On 2/18/2018 6:41 PM, wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

See? The fishing works. ;-)

I like it. A lot! How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface. I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

Wasn't it you that bought that goofy accordion folding work table "the
centipede" I think it was called? Everyone got all over the Comet
cause he thought it looked gimmick-ee.

Anyway, this thing Leon built I've seen on YouTube before. Looks ok
but takes up lots of floor/wall space.

When not in use and being stored it has a foot print of 20"x17". You
probably take up more space when you are staining in the shop.

From the picture and your comments, you say it has a full sheet of
plywood on top. To me, a full sheet of plywood wouldn't fit on anything
20x17"?

Anyway, it looks OK if you need it, and have space for it. Kevin has
space for it, I personally don't really need it, nor have any space for
it if I did need it.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2018 8:58 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/20/2018 9:31 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/19/2018 4:30 PM, Jack wrote:
On 2/18/2018 6:41 PM, wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

See?* The fishing works.* ;-)

I like it.* A lot!* How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface.* I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

Wasn't it you that bought that goofy accordion folding work table "the
centipede" I think it was called?** Everyone got all over the Comet
cause he thought it looked gimmick-ee.

Anyway, this thing Leon built I've seen on YouTube before.* Looks ok
but takes up lots of floor/wall space.

When not in use and being stored it has a foot print of 20"x17".* You
probably take up more space when you are staining in the shop.

From the picture and your comments, you say it has a full sheet of
plywood on top. To me, a full sheet of plywood wouldn't fit on anything
20x17"?

Picture this, the work bench is "2" sections, side by side. Each is 96"
long, 20" wide, and 8.5" tall. If I stand both on end, 96" tall, with
the bottom of one against the top of the other the foot print is 20"x17".

Anyway, it looks OK if you need it, and have space for it.* Kevin has
space for it, I personally don't really need it, nor have any space for
it if I did need it.

With that comment, I would recommend that you not build one for yourself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2018 12:03 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/23/2018 8:58 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/20/2018 9:31 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/19/2018 4:30 PM, Jack wrote:
On 2/18/2018 6:41 PM, wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

See? The fishing works. ;-)

I like it. A lot! How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface. I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

Wasn't it you that bought that goofy accordion folding work table "the
centipede" I think it was called? Everyone got all over the Comet
cause he thought it looked gimmick-ee.

Anyway, this thing Leon built I've seen on YouTube before. Looks ok
but takes up lots of floor/wall space.

When not in use and being stored it has a foot print of 20"x17". You
probably take up more space when you are staining in the shop.

From the picture and your comments, you say it has a full sheet of
plywood on top. To me, a full sheet of plywood wouldn't fit on
anything 20x17"?

Picture this, the work bench is "2" sections, side by side. Each is 96"
long, 20" wide, and 8.5" tall. If I stand both on end, 96" tall, with
the bottom of one against the top of the other the foot print is 20"x17".

You lost me on the 96" long part. It's not clear how you get the long
96" dimension to store against the wall in a 20x8.5" space?

Anyway, it looks OK if you need it, and have space for it. Kevin has
space for it, I personally don't really need it, nor have any space
for it if I did need it.

With that comment, I would recommend that you not build one for yourself.

Thanks, I'll take your advice on that. I think Kevin should build one,
he won't even need to store it with his 2000' shop. Make it same height
as TS and he has a nice out feed table if he doesn't already have one.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2018 8:58 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/20/2018 9:31 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/19/2018 4:30 PM, Jack wrote:
On 2/18/2018 6:41 PM, wrote:

[...]

*From the picture and your comments, you say it has a full sheet of
plywood on top. To me, a full sheet of plywood wouldn't fit on
anything 20x17"?

Picture this, the work bench is "2" sections, side by side.* Each is 96"
long, 20" wide, and 8.5" tall.* If I stand both on end, 96" tall, with
the bottom of one against the top of the other the foot print is 20"x17".

You lost me on the 96" long part. It's not clear how you get the long
96" dimension to store against the wall in a 20x8.5" space?

I'm sorry but I cannot think of a simpler way to explain it. FWIW, I
said a 20x17 foot print, not 20x8.5.