Nick Bozovich

Default Bench Vice Handle for new work bench

Here's a stupid newbie question -

I'm making a "traditional" European workbench. It has a "dog leg" type
shoulder vice. I bought the vice screw from Lee Valley, along with the
wooden handles.

The wooden handles came with two end caps, and two screws. The end caps fit
loosely, so, duh, I figured that the screws are meant to hold them onto the
handle (I AM learning something!!). After much thought and consideration, I
decided that I didn't want to use glue on the caps, otherwise I won't ever
be able to take them off.

So, when I attach the end caps with the screws, should I drill into the
"top" of the end cap and into the end grain of the handle, or into the side
of the end cap and handle?

Seems like a small problem - I've been doing a LOT of learning as I build
this bench - some of it by trial and error, and some by reading and
research. I'm so close to being done, I'd like it to go smoothly without
another mistake.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Nick B

Alan Bierbaum

I put the screw through the end of the cap and into the end grain of the
handle. It is still holding.

--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
Current project: http://home.comcast.net/~cabierbaum/

"Nick Bozovich" wrote in message
[...]

AArDvarK

I use (will use) threaded pipe, with removeable end caps! I also get more leverage with the
longer length. It is easy to be more gentle with that leverage, it allows a finer touch.

Alex

Guy LaRochelle

AArDvarK wrote:
I use (will use) threaded pipe, with removeable end caps! I also get more leverage with the
longer length. It is easy to be more gentle with that leverage, it allows a finer touch.

Alex

Alex,

You must have better vises or jaws than I have because I find that it
doesn't take much leverage on the wooden handles to strain the whole
setup. Or I screwed up when putting everything together. I think we have
to remember that these are not steel vises. Regards. -Guy

Nate Perkins

"Nick Bozovich" wrote in message news:qHbXc.11127$%11.2883@trnddc02...
The wooden handles came with two end caps, and two screws. The end caps fit
loosely, so, duh, I figured that the screws are meant to hold them onto the
handle (I AM learning something!!). After much thought and consideration, I
decided that I didn't want to use glue on the caps, otherwise I won't ever
be able to take them off.

So, when I attach the end caps with the screws, should I drill into the
"top" of the end cap and into the end grain of the handle, or into the side
of the end cap and handle?

I'd glue them on, and cut them off in the unlikely even I ever needed
to remove the handle.

I just finished a workbench with a tail vise that has a wooden handle.
I used a 3/4" maple dowel and with two storebought maple balls about
1.5" in diameter ... I drilled into the side of the maple balls using
a Forstner bit and glued the balls right on to the end of the dowel.
I think the handle materials ran about $3 total.