Mark Blum

In article qHbXc.11127$%11.2883@trnddc02, says...

So, when I attach the end caps with the screws, should I drill into the
"top" of the end cap and into the end grain of the handle, or into the side
of the end cap and handle?

I just completed a bench using those same handles for my vises.
Generally it is not a good idea to screw into end grain because it does
not grip screws very well. However, the amount of stress placed on the
screws in this application is fairly minimal. If you notice on the
inside of the end cap, there is a little depression to indicate where to
drill the hole to center it, so I am sure they intended them to be
attached that way. For what it's worth, I screwed mine into a centered
hole on the end of the handle.

-Mark