Nick Bozovich

Thanks guys, for all the answers!! I really appreciate it - it sure helps
being able to tap into all the wisdom and experience that is here.

Nick B

"Nick Bozovich" wrote in message
Here's a stupid newbie question -

I'm making a "traditional" European workbench. It has a "dog leg" type
shoulder vice. I bought the vice screw from Lee Valley, along with the
wooden handles.

The wooden handles came with two end caps, and two screws. The end caps

fit
loosely, so, duh, I figured that the screws are meant to hold them onto

the
handle (I AM learning something!!). After much thought and consideration,

decided that I didn't want to use glue on the caps, otherwise I won't ever
be able to take them off.

So, when I attach the end caps with the screws, should I drill into the
"top" of the end cap and into the end grain of the handle, or into the

side
of the end cap and handle?

Seems like a small problem - I've been doing a LOT of learning as I build
this bench - some of it by trial and error, and some by reading and
research. I'm so close to being done, I'd like it to go smoothly without
another mistake.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Nick B