DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bench Vice Handle for new work bench (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/66683-bench-vice-handle-new-work-bench.html)

Nick Bozovich August 26th 04 03:13 AM

Bench Vice Handle for new work bench

Here's a stupid newbie question -

I'm making a "traditional" European workbench. It has a "dog leg" type
shoulder vice. I bought the vice screw from Lee Valley, along with the
wooden handles.

The wooden handles came with two end caps, and two screws. The end caps fit
loosely, so, duh, I figured that the screws are meant to hold them onto the
handle (I AM learning something!!). After much thought and consideration, I
decided that I didn't want to use glue on the caps, otherwise I won't ever
be able to take them off.

So, when I attach the end caps with the screws, should I drill into the
"top" of the end cap and into the end grain of the handle, or into the side
of the end cap and handle?

Seems like a small problem - I've been doing a LOT of learning as I build
this bench - some of it by trial and error, and some by reading and
research. I'm so close to being done, I'd like it to go smoothly without
another mistake.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Nick B

Alan Bierbaum August 26th 04 04:37 AM

I put the screw through the end of the cap and into the end grain of the
handle. It is still holding.

--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
Current project: http://home.comcast.net/~cabierbaum/

Mark Blum August 26th 04 04:42 AM

In article qHbXc.11127$%11.2883@trnddc02, says...

So, when I attach the end caps with the screws, should I drill into the
"top" of the end cap and into the end grain of the handle, or into the side
of the end cap and handle?

I just completed a bench using those same handles for my vises.
Generally it is not a good idea to screw into end grain because it does
not grip screws very well. However, the amount of stress placed on the
screws in this application is fairly minimal. If you notice on the
inside of the end cap, there is a little depression to indicate where to
drill the hole to center it, so I am sure they intended them to be
attached that way. For what it's worth, I screwed mine into a centered
hole on the end of the handle.

-Mark

AArDvarK August 26th 04 05:46 AM

I use (will use) threaded pipe, with removeable end caps! I also get more leverage with the
longer length. It is easy to be more gentle with that leverage, it allows a finer touch.

Alex

Guy LaRochelle August 26th 04 02:26 PM

AArDvarK wrote:
I use (will use) threaded pipe, with removeable end caps! I also get more leverage with the
longer length. It is easy to be more gentle with that leverage, it allows a finer touch.

Alex

Alex,

You must have better vises or jaws than I have because I find that it
doesn't take much leverage on the wooden handles to strain the whole
setup. Or I screwed up when putting everything together. I think we have
to remember that these are not steel vises. Regards. -Guy

Nate Perkins August 27th 04 07:22 AM

"Nick Bozovich" wrote in message news:qHbXc.11127$%11.2883@trnddc02...
The wooden handles came with two end caps, and two screws. The end caps fit
loosely, so, duh, I figured that the screws are meant to hold them onto the
handle (I AM learning something!!). After much thought and consideration, I
decided that I didn't want to use glue on the caps, otherwise I won't ever
be able to take them off.

So, when I attach the end caps with the screws, should I drill into the
"top" of the end cap and into the end grain of the handle, or into the side
of the end cap and handle?

I'd glue them on, and cut them off in the unlikely even I ever needed
to remove the handle.

I just finished a workbench with a tail vise that has a wooden handle.
I used a 3/4" maple dowel and with two storebought maple balls about
1.5" in diameter ... I drilled into the side of the maple balls using
a Forstner bit and glued the balls right on to the end of the dowel.
I think the handle materials ran about $3 total.