Ed

Default When is a 2 seater bench not a 2 seater bench?

Answer - when it is the 'Barcelona' bench from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...ODID=8 070063

Bought one of these at the weekend and erected it, only to discover
that it is designed to support 100kg or 16 stone.

Now pardon me for being stupid, but what on earth is the point of that?
Surely two people are going to want to sit on this at the same time,
but two adults, or me and my 4 year old, would be too heavy and risk
collapsing it!

At no point on the packaging or the web site does it say - WILL NOT
SUPPORT TWO PEOPLE

I am loath to take the thing apart and go get a refund, but this is
probably what I'll have to do, otherwise everytime my inlaws or parents
are round and two of them try to sit on it I'll have to tell them not
to!

This is preposterous.

Peter Stockdale

"Ed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Answer - when it is the 'Barcelona' bench from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...ODID=8 070063

Bought one of these at the weekend and erected it, only to discover
that it is designed to support 100kg or 16 stone.

Now pardon me for being stupid, but what on earth is the point of that?
Surely two people are going to want to sit on this at the same time,
but two adults, or me and my 4 year old, would be too heavy and risk
collapsing it!

At no point on the packaging or the web site does it say - WILL NOT
SUPPORT TWO PEOPLE

I am loath to take the thing apart and go get a refund, but this is
probably what I'll have to do, otherwise everytime my inlaws or parents
are round and two of them try to sit on it I'll have to tell them not
to!

This is preposterous.

Where does it say that it is only designed to support the weight you state ?
Could be an interesting factor.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Ed

On the 'warnings' section on the back of the assembly instructions. Not
in bold font or capitalised at all, in fact most people would probably
ignore it even if they read the instructions, cos they arent really
needed to work out how to assemble it

Bob Mannix

"Ed" wrote in message
ps.com...
On the 'warnings' section on the back of the assembly instructions. Not
in bold font or capitalised at all, in fact most people would probably
ignore it even if they read the instructions, cos they arent really
needed to work out how to assemble it

Might I suggest you do what most people do and ignore it then. Most such
caveats are only there to stop them suing you. Load it until it starts
creaking then stop and back off a bit. If that allows two people on OK then
fine. If not, take it back. Not exactly rocket science!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Peter Stockdale

"Ed" wrote in message
ps.com...
On the 'warnings' section on the back of the assembly instructions. Not
in bold font or capitalised at all, in fact most people would probably
ignore it even if they read the instructions, cos they arent really
needed to work out how to assemble it

Clearly the thing is not fit for purpose.
Preposterous agreed.
I would be grumpy too.
Look forward to hearing what B and Q have to say about it.

Regards
Pete

nightjar

"Ed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Answer - when it is the 'Barcelona' bench from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...ODID=8 070063

Bought one of these at the weekend and erected it, only to discover
that it is designed to support 100kg or 16 stone.

Now pardon me for being stupid, but what on earth is the point of that?
Surely two people are going to want to sit on this at the same time,
but two adults, or me and my 4 year old, would be too heavy and risk
collapsing it!

At no point on the packaging or the web site does it say - WILL NOT
SUPPORT TWO PEOPLE

I am loath to take the thing apart and go get a refund, but this is
probably what I'll have to do, otherwise everytime my inlaws or parents
are round and two of them try to sit on it I'll have to tell them not
to!

This is preposterous.

I would contact Trading Standards too.

Colin Bignell

Ed wrote:
Answer - when it is the 'Barcelona' bench from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...ODID=8 070063

Bought one of these at the weekend and erected it, only to discover
that it is designed to support 100kg or 16 stone.

Now pardon me for being stupid, but what on earth is the point of

that?

This is preposterous.

It is rather. Maybe time for a B&Q thread.. Are they the leading source
of complaints here?

NT

RichardS

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ed wrote:
Answer - when it is the 'Barcelona' bench from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...ODID=8 070063

Bought one of these at the weekend and erected it, only to discover
that it is designed to support 100kg or 16 stone.

Now pardon me for being stupid, but what on earth is the point of

that?

This is preposterous.

It is rather.

I dont' think so - it's entirely reasonable to expect that a 2 seater bench
ought to support the weight of 2 average people so it seems that this bench
is clearly unfit for purpose.

Maybe time for a B&Q thread.. Are they the leading source
of complaints here?

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

raden

In message .com, Ed
writes
Answer - when it is the 'Barcelona' bench from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...50011&entryFla
g=false&PRODID=8070063

Bought one of these at the weekend and erected it, only to discover
that it is designed to support 100kg or 16 stone.

Now pardon me for being stupid, but what on earth is the point of that?
Surely two people are going to want to sit on this at the same time,
but two adults, or me and my 4 year old, would be too heavy and risk
collapsing it!

At no point on the packaging or the web site does it say - WILL NOT
SUPPORT TWO PEOPLE

I am loath to take the thing apart and go get a refund, but this is
probably what I'll have to do, otherwise everytime my inlaws or parents
are round and two of them try to sit on it I'll have to tell them not
to!

This is preposterous.

It's weightism

--
geoff
Ed

Reply from B&Q and my retort...

Quoting "Burrell, Katy" :

Please be aware that any replies need to be sent to

as there is no

facility
for the sender to receive e mails.

Dear Mr Bowden

Thank you for contacting us regarding a Barcelona bench purchased

from you
local B&Q store.

I am sorry that you have had cause to complain on this occasion and

can
appreciate your disappointment. According to our records we have not
received any similar complaints about this particular product but

have
forwarded your comments to our Buying Department for their

information.

The information available with the bench does clearly state the

maximum
weight that it will take, there is no indication on our Website or in

our
Live Outdoors brochure that the Barcelona bench seats two people

unlike
alternative benches where it clearly states that they seat two people
comfortably. It advisable to read all paperwork prior to

installation
incase for any reason the product is unsuitable.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you may have been

caused
and I am sorry that we can be of no further assistance on this

occasion.
Should you have any further queries or concerns, please contact a

member of
the Store Management team who will be happy to help.

Kate Burrell
Contact Service Team
Customer Services Department

--------

my reply...
But the thing is 4 foor long, you cannot seriously suggest that anyone
has ever bought this bench only expecting to be able to seat one person
on it!

You should clearly state on the web site and in the literature - NOT
SUITABLE FOR TWO PEOPLE. It is only once I had got the bench home and
opened the box that I can find this information, which is preposterous.

Many thanks for your reply, however, it is most amusing

regards
Ed Bowden

Andy

Ed wrote:
Answer - when it is the 'Barcelona' bench from B&Q

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/produc...ODID=8 070063

Bought one of these at the weekend and erected it, only to discover
that it is designed to support 100kg or 16 stone.

Now pardon me for being stupid, but what on earth is the point of that?
Surely two people are going to want to sit on this at the same time,
but two adults, or me and my 4 year old, would be too heavy and risk
collapsing it!

At no point on the packaging or the web site does it say - WILL NOT
SUPPORT TWO PEOPLE

I am loath to take the thing apart and go get a refund, but this is
probably what I'll have to do, otherwise everytime my inlaws or parents
are round and two of them try to sit on it I'll have to tell them not
to!

This is preposterous.

We've got one of these. My wife and I (who together weigh somewhat more
than 16 stones) can sit on it together with no sign of it sagging.

I know that isn't really the point, but just to let you know.
Ed

So do we, and no creaking has been heard yet!

Cheers
Ed

If purchase of said article includes a clause to
prevent in-laws coming round then there'll be a
rush on these products and I'd like to be at the
head of the queue!

Mungo :-)

Woodworking/Shop Bench Bob Woodworking 6 February 1st 05 04:17 AM
[Ganoksin] [Issue #98] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin Metalworking 0 April 29th 04 03:49 PM
Bench Top Drill Press That Can Swing Drill Head Jay Chan Woodworking 8 April 4th 04 10:17 PM
[Ganoksin] [January 2004] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench Ganoksin Metalworking 0 January 24th 04 06:41 PM
Bench Vise Questions (Steel vs. Iron) x Metalworking 2 September 1st 03 04:50 PM