Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Assembly Bench Completed

On 2/18/2018 9:04 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 20:44:24 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/18/2018 5:41 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:27:38 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/18/2018 9:52 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/17/2018 6:33 PM, Leon wrote:
A week or so back I posted pictures of the workbench/assembly table
that I was building and finally today I am just about finished.Â* I'm
debating whether to add 2 attachment bolts to hold the two units
together.

I elected to not drill the 32,548 holes in the top.... My Festool work
table has enough.Â* ;~)

The legs. With material storage on the wings that stick out.

I had wondered the purpose of the wings in the construction photos
earlier...

Forgot to address in my precious response.

The top wing, if you will notice, extends out a few inches further than
the lower wings.

It extends past the side of the work surface so that I can have a place
to put my track with parallel guides. It is normally an issue finding a
place to put it when working with multiple sheets of plywood.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...posted-public/

See? The fishing works. ;-)

LOL

I like it. A lot! How do you deal with cutting the top of the bench?

Well preciousely I cut on top of a grid of 2x4's and they were not flat
like this. I used a sheet of foam insulation board between sheets to
take the blade hit.

I've used 2x4s, too, but they're all twisted differently. Kinda
defeats the purpose of a flat top. Foam insulation board had crossed
my mind but foam is a PITA to get rid of.

Well the piece I have has the aluminum skin on both sides. There is
little to no foam escaping. But after using this piece for about 7
years it is getting to where it dies not lay flat. Seems to want to bow
on the side that has the most cuts. BUT it tends to be kinda easy to
break and can be a PIA.

Ron Paulk, just uses thin strips of scrap plywood under the cut and to
support the keeper and waste side. I'm going to try that.

Nice idea. At least they'll lie flat.

Yeah, but who has scraps. LOL

I built my cutting bench on a solid-core door with a sheet of 3/4" MDF
just sitting on top, held in place by side rails 1/4" shy of the
surface. I'm not short on space so portability wasn't important. It's
on casters but it never moves more than a foot or two.

If room was no object..... ;~) Your method sounds great.

No object at all. As long as it stays in the basement, SWMBO doesn't
object. ;-) It's my 2000ft^2+ man cave. ;-)

That is like my whole house. LOL.