Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tool Descriptions

SKILLSAW - A portable cutting tool used to make boards too short.

BELT SANDER - An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor
touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

WIRE WHEEL - Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under
the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and
hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh
****'. Will easily wind a tee shirt off your back.

DRILL PRESS - A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat
metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings
your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had
carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

CHANNEL LOCKS - Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the
creation of blood-blisters.

HACK SAW - One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board
principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and
the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future
becomes.

VISE GRIPS - Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt
heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense
welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH - Used almost entirely for igniting various flammable
objects in your shop and creating a fire. Also handy for igniting the grease
inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW - A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood
projectiles for testing wall integrity. Very effective for digit removal!!

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK - Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after
you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under
the bumper.

BAND SAW - A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to
cut large pieces into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash after
you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge. Also excels at
amputations.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST - A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of
all the crap you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER - Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids
or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt;
but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted
screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR - A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or
bracket you needed to remove, in order to replace a 50 cent part.

PVC PIPE CUTTER - A tool used to make plastic pipe too short.

HAMMER - Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is
used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit. Also very effective at fingernail removal.

UTILITY KNIFE - Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard
cartons delivered to your front door. Works particularly well on contents such
as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund
checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work
clothes, but only while in use. These can also be used to initiate a trip to
the emergency room so a doctor can sew up the damage.

SON OF A BITCH TOOL - Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the
garage while yelling 'Son of a bitch' at the top of your lungs. It is also,
most often, the next tool that you will need.

THE TELEPHONE - TO CALL SOMEONE TO DO THE WORK.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote:
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted
screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

This raises the question (to me), do they make a tool especially FOR
opening paint cans?
As a youngster, my dad taught me to use the screwdriver with golden
handle that already had paint all over it (maybe after my indiscriminate
use of other ones..). At least he let me have free rein--my primary
guidance was not to flip the switch on the table saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2017 2:22 PM, Bill wrote:
Spalted Walt wrote:
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common
slotted
screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

This raises the question (to me), do they make a tool especially FOR
opening paint cans?

Seriously, YES. Paint stores have them and typically give them away
with a paint purchase. The better ones have a bottle opener on one end.
;~)

As a youngster, my dad taught me to use the screwdriver with golden
handle that already had paint all over it (maybe after my indiscriminate
use of other ones..). At least he let me have free rein--my primary
guidance was not to flip the switch on the table saw.

Straight blade screw drivers are good for stirring gel stains and
varnishes. :~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted
screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

This raises the question (to me), do they make a tool especially FOR
opening paint cans?
As a youngster, my dad taught me to use the screwdriver with golden
handle that already had paint all over it (maybe after my indiscriminate
use of other ones..). At least he let me have free rein--my primary
guidance was not to flip the switch on the table saw.

For cans:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Can-a...-HDL/206794609

For 5 gal buckets
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-GALLON-BUC...-/261967809046

Posted to rec.woodworking

Spalted Walt wrote:
Bill wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted
screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

This raises the question (to me), do they make a tool especially FOR
opening paint cans?
As a youngster, my dad taught me to use the screwdriver with golden
handle that already had paint all over it (maybe after my indiscriminate
use of other ones..). At least he let me have free rein--my primary
guidance was not to flip the switch on the table saw.

For cans:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Can-a...-HDL/206794609

Thank you, I have run across a few of those in the past. I don't
remember ever using one. Maybe there is a YouTube video... ; )

Bill

For 5 gal buckets
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-GALLON-BUC...-/261967809046

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
Bill wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted
screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

This raises the question (to me), do they make a tool especially FOR
opening paint cans?
As a youngster, my dad taught me to use the screwdriver with golden
handle that already had paint all over it (maybe after my indiscriminate
use of other ones..). At least he let me have free rein--my primary
guidance was not to flip the switch on the table saw.

For cans:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Can-a...-HDL/206794609

Thank you, I have run across a few of those in the past. I don't
remember ever using one. Maybe there is a YouTube video... ; )

Probably dozens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQMJ1RFr0CU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k174Wmbqqeg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 5/3/2017 2:22 PM, Bill wrote:
Spalted Walt wrote:
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert
common
slotted
screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

This raises the question (to me), do they make a tool especially FOR
opening paint cans?

Seriously, YES. Paint stores have them and typically give them away
with a paint purchase. The better ones have a bottle opener on one
end.
;~)

They work better than a straight screwdriver, too. That's why I keep
track of mine. :-)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 1:05:47 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

WIRE WHEEL - Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under
the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and
hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh
****'. Will easily wind a tee shirt off your back.

I always seem to see a lot of these, and amazingly, they all seem to be a little different. And as someone that uses tools for a living, I laugh out loud at how true these things can be.

A couple of months ago I chucked up a stiff wire wheel to clean heavy rust of a couple of tools that were out in the rain, then spent a month in the rain. Leaning over to really mash hard on teh drill, my shirt drooped over the drill/wheel, and it almost pulled my shirt off! As it was, it took a wad of shirt that was about 10" across completely off the shirt.

Had to listen to it all day long. "Hey Robert. you want me to do that? Next time you might not get out of the way" and "Robert, if you need me to help you figure out how that operation works, let me know... I am available for drill lessons" etc. For me, I was a little stunned, a little surprised, and a lot embarrassed! (Did I mention I had to hear about the hole in my shirt and re-tell the tale all day long?)

THE TELEPHONE - TO CALL SOMEONE TO DO THE WORK.

I have several clients that have come to that realization. God bless 'em!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 3 May 2017 14:48:29 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Had to listen to it all day long. "Hey Robert. you want me to do that? Next
time you might not get out of the way" and "Robert, if you need me to help
you figure out how that operation works, let me know... I am available for
drill lessons" etc. For me, I was a little stunned, a little surprised,
and a lot embarrassed! (Did I mention I had to hear about the hole in my
shirt and re-tell the tale all day long?)

So are you adding an extra shirt to the things you now carry to the
job? You know just in case it rains.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 3 May 2017 15:22:01 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted
screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

This raises the question (to me), do they make a tool especially FOR
opening paint cans?
As a youngster, my dad taught me to use the screwdriver with golden
handle that already had paint all over it (maybe after my indiscriminate
use of other ones..). At least he let me have free rein--my primary
guidance was not to flip the switch on the table saw.

Can openers, often part of a bottle opener - sometimes referred to
as a "church key"

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted
screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

This raises the question (to me), do they make a tool especially FOR
opening paint cans?

Sure. Paint stores used to give them away. They look like a metal
bottle opener with a curved straight blade.

https://www.amazon.com/Paint-Can-Bottle-Opener-Bulk/dp/B001VEC63I

As a youngster, my dad taught me to use the screwdriver with golden
handle that already had paint all over it (maybe after my indiscriminate
use of other ones..). At least he let me have free rein--my primary
guidance was not to flip the switch on the table saw.

That's usually what I use. I can never find the openers. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2017 4:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

the important question..... does the hole in your shirt make your butt
loo too big? :~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2017 3:22 PM, Bill wrote:
Spalted Walt wrote:
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common
slotted
screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

This raises the question (to me), do they make a tool especially FOR
opening paint cans?
As a youngster, my dad taught me to use the screwdriver with golden
handle that already had paint all over it (maybe after my indiscriminate
use of other ones..). At least he let me have free rein--my primary
guidance was not to flip the switch on the table saw.

If I'm painting (or doing most anything else around the house) I have a
5-in-1 tool handy. The handle provides plenty of leverage, the square
corner fits easily under a can lid to pop it without chewing it up.

http://www.ronhazelton.com/tips/how_..._painting_tool

I like to keep the two beveled edges and the point quite sharp.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 9:53:27 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

the important question..... does the hole in your shirt make your butt
loo too big? :~)

Did you mean my gut? Too late on that one.

Got a good chuckle out of that.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 4:48:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 1:05:47 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

WIRE WHEEL - Will easily wind a tee shirt off your back.

Leaning over to really mash hard on teh drill, my shirt drooped over the drill/wheel, and it almost pulled my shirt off! As it was, it took a wad of shirt that was about 10" across completely off the shirt.

Robert

Similarly, doing a few chores at Mom's, the disc sander ripped a hole in the belly of my T-shirt. Later, my brother came over and reminded me that Walmart sells T-shirts, as if I only had torn shirts to wear. I told him that some of us, in this red neck of the woods, distinguish between our work T-shirts and our dress T-shirts.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny wrote:

Similarly, doing a few chores at Mom's, the disc sander ripped a hole in the belly of my T-shirt. Later, my brother came over and reminded me that Walmart sells T-shirts, as if I only had torn shirts to wear. I told him that some of us, in this red neck of the woods, distinguish between our work T-shirts and our dress T-shirts.

Sonny

Ha! : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 11:49:27 PM UTC-4, Larry Kraus wrote:
On 5/3/2017 3:22 PM, Bill wrote:
Spalted Walt wrote:
[...]

+1 for the Five in One. Can't live without it when painting/prepping-- I also keep one in my 'general' tool box and it tends to be in my pocket on most jobs, regardless of whether I'm finishing or tinkering.

On the other hand, the alleged "paint can opener" is only good for the church key!

Slainte.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 May 2017 09:37:42 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

wrote:

Spalted Walt wrote:
STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER -
A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert
common slotted
screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

This raises the question (to me), do they make a tool especially FOR
opening paint cans?

Sure. Paint stores used to give them away. They look like a metal
bottle opener with a curved straight blade.

https://www.amazon.com/Paint-Can-Bottle-Opener-Bulk/dp/B001VEC63I

Nice. $4 at Amazon, 48 cents at Home Depot... Seems most things I look
up at Amazon is overpriced these days, much of it WAY overpriced. I
warned my family and friends about this, and might as well warn yins all
as well. Caveat emptor!

Sadly, Amazon (with their third party sellers) seems to be going the
same route as Ebay. It used to be you could generally find great deals
on Ebay and had to work to find ripoffs. Now it seems the reverse is
true - in both venues.

I don't trust Ebay. You're dealing *directly* with who knows who.
Amazon has a tighter leash on their sellers.

Caveat Emptor indeed! There will always be anal pores out there seeking
to rip off the unwary. Of course, anyone who fails to exercise at least
some diligence in their shopping likely deserves to be fleeced.

Trust but verify.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in news

I haven't checked, but I doubt Home Depot will ship it to your house for
48 cents.

Last I knew, Home Depot has a minimum purchase amount before you get free
shipping. I think it's $35, but it might have changed. They will,
however, ship to store for free.

I'm going to give the ship to store thing a try soon, I'm just waiting for
when I know I'll be near my local store.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/9/2017 6:36 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Amazon prices aren't really much better than the local stores anymore.
Sometimes they aren't as good.

Their prices, excluding shipping, should ALWAYS be better than local
stores. They have almost no overhead compared to say, Home Depot, that
has a couple thousand large stores filled with employee's, thieves and
so on. Now, they seem to be just a sales outlet for every Tom, DICK and
Harry who rip you off on price or shipping or most likely, both.

I once bought a lathe chuck from Amazon. I looked around a little
first, but trusted Amazon at the time. When I got it, turned out it was
in a Harbor Freight box. Looked up the HF number on the box, and there
it was, about $4 cheaper, but about $9 cheaper including shipping.
Still, I didn't mind too much, but that was a good while ago. Now, it
seems way too often the prices are in multiples of 2, 3 and more of what
can be easily found elsewhere. Stupid pricing really and one would be
best not trusting them at all.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 May 2017 23:31:57 -0400, Bill

Free with a paint purchase at my local Sherwin Williams, the paint can/
bottle opener.

Just went there Saturday. $120 for two gallons, on sale. $170
normally. But paint stick and a bottle opener are free. ;-)

You fellows sure know a bargain... Is the paint that good? Do you still
use 2 coats?

As much work as it is to paint, I'm not about to go cheap on it. If
it's easier to put up, or lasts another year, it's worth more than
double.

And yes, I'll use two coats. One before I put the siding up and one
after it's up (probably this fall).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 09 May 2017 20:06:11 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

Bill wrote:

wrote:

Free with a paint purchase at my local Sherwin Williams, the paint can/
bottle opener.
Just went there Saturday. $120 for two gallons, on sale. $170
normally. But paint stick and a bottle opener are free. ;-)

You fellows sure know a bargain... Is the paint that good?

Not according to CR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38hqFR8yANA

But then again I have doubts about Consumer Reports ability to be
objective, has to do with being paid by whom?

Could be like beer medals if you show at the show you get a gold
medal. Which explains how Lite beer got its praise.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote in news

I've only bought a few things off Ebay, but never got burned. A late,
great friend of mine bought thousands of things off Ebay, and said he
never once got burned. He's been gone a few years though, so can't
speak about today. I just know I've lost ALL trust in Amazon. At one
time you could be sure prices were good, and mainly had to worry about
shipping. Now prices are often double or triple or more than what you
can buy elsewhere, so trust is out the window for Amazon.

I've had that happen on a few items, but generally speaking Amazon tends to
be lower. If you're one of those smart phone carrying types, just load
Amazon in your phone and take a look--if it's cheaper then go with Amazon.
If not, go elsewhere.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 4:26:16 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:

But then again I have doubts about Consumer Reports ability to be
objective, has to do with being paid by whom?

Could be like beer medals if you show at the show you get a gold
medal. Which explains how Lite beer got its praise.

All tests are no better than the folks that perform them. The folks that perform them are no better than their adherence to the standards and parameters they are told to follow. The standards and parameters are designed by someone that may or may not be anyone more than a lab guy, no real experience in the field.

With that in mind, I always take tests with a grain of salt, no matter who does it. Too many times I believed tests and followed the results if from a trusted publication. Now I look at tests as starting points, not much more than guidelines. If they don't include testing protocols and procedures, I don't even read the results or article.

As far as medals and awards go, I use the same skeptical approach. Whose taste buds decided the awards? How many contestants were there competing? Did they follow a standardized judging set of rules? Are their standard rules for certain competitions, or are they held just for fun?

Could be gold medals are sometimes won if there are few contestants, and the contest (of whatever that might be) has judges that observe nothing more than their own personal taste.

Robert