Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tool Descriptions

On Tue, 9 May 2017 14:41:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 4:26:16 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:

But then again I have doubts about Consumer Reports ability to be
objective, has to do with being paid by whom?

Could be like beer medals if you show at the show you get a gold
medal. Which explains how Lite beer got its praise.

reformatted as agent does not like google groups when I qoute.

"All tests are no better than the folks that perform them. The folks
that perform them are no better than their adherence to the standards
and parameters they are told to follow. The standards and parameters
are designed by someone that may or may not be anyone more than a lab
guy, no real experience in the field.

With that in mind, I always take tests with a grain of salt, no matter
who does it. Too many times I believed tests and followed the results
if from a trusted publication. Now I look at tests as starting points,
not much more than guidelines. If they don't include testing
protocols and procedures, I don't even read the results or article.

As far as medals and awards go, I use the same skeptical approach.
Whose taste buds decided the awards? How many contestants were there
competing? Did they follow a standardized judging set of rules? Are
their standard rules for certain competitions, or are they held just
for fun? "

Could be gold medals are sometimes won if there are few contestants,
and the contest (of whatever that might be) has judges that observe
nothing more than their own personal taste.

Robert

From talking to the local brewers and wine folk, if you enter the
product in the sponsors show you will get an award.

As far as paint goes in do not buy the formulation that HD or Lowe's
or Menards sells, I do buy SW based upon that I can do two coats and
cover, the amount of titanium dioxide is the key from what I have
learn, having someone who deals in paint and is knowledgeable
priceless.

That bit about SW I learned from you Robert thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 8:24:26 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

You would buy paint for the barn from Sherwin Williams?

20-25 yrs ago, we bought the red barn paint from Big Lots, $5 a gallon. Best barn paint we've ever bought. Go figure! The barn, the paint job, still looks good, today. Big Lots has products for limited times and I haven't seen that paint, there, since our initial purchase. I always ask about that paint, but the clerks/managers never know what's to be supplied/stocked, next time around.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote:

On Tue, 09 May 2017 20:06:11 +0000, Spalted Walt
wrote:

Bill wrote:

wrote:

Free with a paint purchase at my local Sherwin Williams, the paint can/
bottle opener.
Just went there Saturday. $120 for two gallons, on sale. $170
normally. But paint stick and a bottle opener are free. ;-)

You fellows sure know a bargain... Is the paint that good?

Not according to CR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38hqFR8yANA

But then again I have doubts about Consumer Reports ability to be
objective, has to do with being paid by whom?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Reports

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Bill wrote:

wrote:

Free with a paint purchase at my local Sherwin Williams, the paint can/
bottle opener.
Just went there Saturday. $120 for two gallons, on sale. $170
normally. But paint stick and a bottle opener are free. ;-)

You fellows sure know a bargain... Is the paint that good?

Not according to CR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38hqFR8yANA

But then again I have doubts about Consumer Reports ability to be
objective, has to do with being paid by whom?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Reports

Yeah, we all know what Consumer Reports is, a bunch of well meaning but
marginally competent do-gooders coming up with ridiculous tests that have
little to do with the utility of the products that they test.

Generally speaking the product that Consumer Reports hates is the first one
I check out. So far this policy has served me well and I have come to
grief whenever I deviated from it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Bill wrote:

wrote:

Free with a paint purchase at my local Sherwin Williams, the paint can/
bottle opener.
Just went there Saturday. $120 for two gallons, on sale. $170
normally. But paint stick and a bottle opener are free. ;-)

You fellows sure know a bargain... Is the paint that good?

Not according to CR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38hqFR8yANA

But then again I have doubts about Consumer Reports ability to be
objective, has to do with being paid by whom?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Reports

Consumer Reports sell a product, the tests they run are based on some
standards (but whose).

Just cause it is on the Web and it is on Wikipedia does not mean they
tested something right.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Markem wrote in
:

Consumer Reports sell a product, the tests they run are based on some
standards (but whose).

Just cause it is on the Web and it is on Wikipedia does not mean they
tested something right.

One of my favorite posts was one Robatoy made regarding standards. I've
reposted it below.

Puckdropper

-- Robatoy's Post --
From: Robatoy

On Mar 25, 10:59=A0pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 16:17:05 -0700, Larry Jaques

wrote:

I'm with you, Ed. Quality has to go into the product before
consistency. Then the ISO procedures can ensure consistency and,
hopefully, quality. Good QA is necessary all along. I saw ISO coming
in back when I was an inspector, and hooted as I heard it being pawned
off as a quality control procedure. It ain't! (but it helps)

About a dozen years ago, one of my suppliers became ISO9000 with all
the hoopla. It did make them very consistent. Once certified, they
f'd up every order until I finally dropped them.

All that hoopla hasn't amounted to a hill of beans with many
suppliers. Wilsonart Canada, for instance, bragged about all those ISO
numbers.

Their delivery system was so incredibly bad that it actually became a
source of humour for us at my shop. They used their own trucks and
sometimes other carriers. They had managed to get 23 shipments in a
period of 6 months, wrong. 23 out of 23. Wrong sinks, Wrong adhesive
colours, Wrong quantities Batting a 1000. Then one day, a truck pulled
up and it had 6 sheets of 12-ft x 30" solid surface, the associated
sinks and adhesives and the whole order was correct. We laughed and
laughed.. they finally got one right.

A half hour after that truck left, another truck, this time their own
truck, pulled in with the identical order on it to the one that was just
delivered.

Now the laughing really started. All was well with the universe, the
spell had not been broken, they screwed up yet again, even by getting it
right...twice!

- - - Posted by Robatoy - - -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Generally speaking the product that Consumer Reports hates is the first one
I check out. So far this policy has served me well and I have come to
grief whenever I deviated from it.

The visual of you puttering around in a Yugo with a trunk-load of
Black&Decker tools is a bit more than I can stomach this early.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 12:31:29 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Different strokes. Time is money too.

And if you live, for example, in Lone Tree, Ia. you may not have
any local alternative.

At first, I read that as Lone Tree, La. I'd never heard of Lone Tree, La.

We gots a Lone Pine, though, pert near Turkey Creek, and they ain't got nuttin in either place, but 'cept a bar, a fried chicken place and a curve in the road, in TC.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 May 2017 18:28:08 -0400, Bill

On Tue, 9 May 2017 21:23:13 -0400, Bill

On Tue, 9 May 2017 19:07:33 -0400, Bill

On Mon, 8 May 2017 23:31:57 -0400, Bill

Free with a paint purchase at my local Sherwin Williams, the paint can/
bottle opener.
Just went there Saturday. $120 for two gallons, on sale. $170
normally. But paint stick and a bottle opener are free. ;-)
You fellows sure know a bargain... Is the paint that good? Do you still
use 2 coats?
As much work as it is to paint, I'm not about to go cheap on it. If
it's easier to put up, or lasts another year, it's worth more than
double.

And yes, I'll use two coats. One before I put the siding up and one
after it's up (probably this fall).

I've got a mini-barn to re-paint this year (tan). Any reason not to get
my paint from Menards?
If you like painting, go for it.

You would buy paint for the barn from Sherwin Williams?

I guess it depends on how long I expected to keep the barn and what I
wanted it to look like. A lot of barns don't get painted (or haven't
been in 50 years). Because it's a barn doesn't mean it less work to
paint.

About 12 feet long, no windows: I'd be surprised if it takes me 3 hours
for each coat. I'll wash it with a hose and a brush the day before.
Gosh, now, I'm almost committed! ; )

That's a shed! ;-) If the old paint just wears off, it'll be no issue
painting. If it starts blistering and peeling, scraping can be a lot
of work. I'd probably stain it rather than paint because it tends not
to blister but I'd still use decent stain.

Make sure it's *good* and dry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

It's been painted, but there is no blistering or peeling. I've owned it
for 8 years, and I didn't paint it the last/first time. I agree,
scraping can be a lot of work. I helped my dad "torch" a garage
once--that took FAR MORE hours than it did to paint it. Maybe that was
even in the "mistake" category...

I'd probably stain it rather than paint because it tends not
to blister but I'd still use decent stain.

Make sure it's *good* and dry.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 May 2017 10:35:33 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 5/10/2017 1:03 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2017 11:32:57 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 5/9/2017 1:05 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2017 08:26:36 -0400, Jack wrote:

Do you have a cheaper place where you can buy damned near everything?

I let my fingers do the walking... Seems most everywhere is cheaper
these days than Amazon...

I don't find that at all. Sometimes it's not a lot more expensive to
buy locally but Amazon has a much wider selection that I don't see
elsewhere.

I can't think of anything on Amazon I can't find elsewhere. Lately too
many things are 1/2 to 1/10th the price elsewhere. Even their
reasonably priced items can often be matched at a local store, and in
that case I usually buy locally.

Different strokes. Time is money too.

Exactly. So if I need it now, would be stupid to wait 4 days to get it
mailed from Amazon when a short drive to a local store will get it now,
and at 1/2 - 1/10th the price.

If I don't need it now, then I can wait until I'm going near the store
that sells the thing I don't need now, or going for something else not
sold at Amazon.

I buy online only what is not available locally. If available locally
I can USUALLY buy for less than online - unless it's something the
local guy is importing from China direct - then I can usually do
better on Flea-Bay - if I don't need it this month. Buying online from
anywhere in North America the shipping kills the deal.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

True, now how can China send that part for free at their cost, and here
it is more and shipped for ridiculously more. I ordered something the
other day, shipping ranged from 9, to 29. It fit in a USPS small flat
rate box. ..... from China it would have been free. How can it be free
from China, it cost more to ship it here, than they wanted for the part?
Don't they have to pay our postal system something for delivering
(interpostal costs)?

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Short answer: The US government subsidizes mail from China
Slightly longer answer: Shipping rates are set by treaty. The
recipient gets screwed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/11/2017 8:13 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 11 May 2017 16:49:05 -0400, Jack wrote:

wrote:
[...]

And miss your moronic posts... Why?

You miss the point by a few states, so why not?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ!

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/17 9:45 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in news

I haven't checked, but I doubt Home Depot will ship it to your house for
48 cents.

Last I knew, Home Depot has a minimum purchase amount before you get free
shipping. I think it's $35, but it might have changed. They will,
however, ship to store for free.

I'm going to give the ship to store thing a try soon, I'm just waiting for
when I know I'll be near my local store.

Puckdropper

I've used this service on occasion.

Best "result" was ordering a box of ceiling tiles (special order only).
HD had them cheaper then anyone else, free shipping to the store.

The tiles were a full box order, a bit larger than a typical office
"file" box. When I picked it up, it was saran wrapped to a mini pallet.
The pallet was completely new/unused 2'x2' with no gaps between the top
slats, oak, staples not nails, some QS boards. They gladly used a fork
lift to place the pallet and tiles into the back of my truck (total
weight of maybe 50 pounds).

I gave a 4-star review for the packaging....

-BR