Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default Tool Descriptions

On Tue, 9 May 2017 14:41:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 9, 2017 at 4:26:16 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:

But then again I have doubts about Consumer Reports ability to be
objective, has to do with being paid by whom?

Could be like beer medals if you show at the show you get a gold
medal. Which explains how Lite beer got its praise.

reformatted as agent does not like google groups when I qoute.

"All tests are no better than the folks that perform them. The folks
that perform them are no better than their adherence to the standards
and parameters they are told to follow. The standards and parameters
are designed by someone that may or may not be anyone more than a lab
guy, no real experience in the field.

With that in mind, I always take tests with a grain of salt, no matter
who does it. Too many times I believed tests and followed the results
if from a trusted publication. Now I look at tests as starting points,
not much more than guidelines. If they don't include testing
protocols and procedures, I don't even read the results or article.

As far as medals and awards go, I use the same skeptical approach.
Whose taste buds decided the awards? How many contestants were there
competing? Did they follow a standardized judging set of rules? Are
their standard rules for certain competitions, or are they held just
for fun? "

Could be gold medals are sometimes won if there are few contestants,
and the contest (of whatever that might be) has judges that observe
nothing more than their own personal taste.

Robert

From talking to the local brewers and wine folk, if you enter the
product in the sponsors show you will get an award.

As far as paint goes in do not buy the formulation that HD or Lowe's
or Menards sells, I do buy SW based upon that I can do two coats and
cover, the amount of titanium dioxide is the key from what I have
learn, having someone who deals in paint and is knowledgeable
priceless.

That bit about SW I learned from you Robert thanks.