Posted to rec.woodworking

Default For want of a screw (not that kind)

I have a Dewalt 321 top handle jigsaw. Over the summer, the screw
holding
the foot came loose. I thought I scooped up all the parts, and it
appears I did
but the damn screw, wasn't with the parts!

I decided the other day to put the foot back on the saw and searched
all over
for the screw, but I didn't have it. Damn it.

Took the saw today to the local ACE. They had a ton of choices, but
no screw fit the hole. Ok, went on-line and it seems that most of
the parts dealers have it, but I'm sure I'm going to pay $5 to ship
it
to me!. ARGH!

There is no Dewalt service center nearby within a 25 mile radius, but
I'll keep trying.

Looking for suggestions. I don't know the thread or size of the screw
since
DeWalt doesn't list them on the part number. Fastenal has it, but the
local
one didn't have it in stock.

Frustrating, to say the least.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:
[...]

Oh come on... if it is really that difficult to find a screw locally, then
why are you so cheap as to not just buy the damned thing? What are you
going to save with all of this effort - a couple of bucks? Sheese...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/2012 8:47 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
MJ wrote:
[...]

Assuming this is a small set screw not something huge.

Have you tried the electrical outlets like Radio Shack? Electrical
components seem to have their own thread sizes for circuit boards, etc.

Several times I have found small screws and nuts there I could not find
elsewhere.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/3/2012 5:08 PM, MJ wrote:
[...]

How much gas have you burned looking for that $5 screw?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/3/2012 5:08 PM, MJ wrote:
I have a Dewalt 321 top handle jigsaw. Over the summer, the screw
holding
the foot came loose. I thought I scooped up all the parts, and it
appears I did
but the damn screw, wasn't with the parts!

I decided the other day to put the foot back on the saw and searched
all over
for the screw, but I didn't have it. Damn it.

Took the saw today to the local ACE. They had a ton of choices, but
no screw fit the hole. Ok, went on-line and it seems that most of
the parts dealers have it, but I'm sure I'm going to pay $5 to ship
it
to me!. ARGH!

Yep, like Leon said. This is where you should have cut your losses.
Did you check whether a DeWalt service center would help? In
Indianapolis, the DeWalt service center and the Delta service center are
combined and they have treated me very nicely!

There is no Dewalt service center nearby within a 25 mile radius, but
I'll keep trying.

Looking for suggestions. I don't know the thread or size of the screw
since
DeWalt doesn't list them on the part number. Fastenal has it, but the
local
one didn't have it in stock.

Frustrating, to say the least.

MJ

How much gas have you burned looking for that $5 screw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
MJ wrote:
[...]

Ugh! I read that this morning and the "Sheese" at the end does not seem to
convey the same light hearted reply that it felt like last night. Best to
probably just ignore it all - was meant to be more light hearted than it
appears.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 23:10:19 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
How much gas have you burned looking for that $5 screw?

Who cares if he spends $50 for gas and uncounted hours finding the
right screw? It's not the gas or money cost that's important, it's the
principle of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 05:24:07 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Ugh! I read that this morning and the "Sheese" at the end does not seem to
convey the same light hearted reply that it felt like last night. Best to
probably just ignore it all - was meant to be more light hearted than it
appears.

Of course. Anyway, we all know how single minded you are when you get
your teeth clamped onto a problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:
[...]

Do you have a metric caliper? My 321 saw has a cheese-head machine
screw, metric. The shaft length is 2.8 cm, diameter (across tops of
threads) 2.8 mm. Looks like 9 threads /cm. Be sure to apply thread
lock juice when doing final assembly. Harder to put back on than is
is to take off!

I keep my metric screws in a separate compartment and found one the
same other than the head and length. You can cut to length with a
hacksaw . I generally use a jeweler's saw.
--
G.W. Ross

Prune: A plum that has seen better days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I keep my metric screws in a separate compartment and found one the

same other than the head and length. You can cut to length with a

hacksaw . I generally use a jeweler's saw.

--

G.W. Ross

Prune: A plum that has seen better days.

I'm rebuilding a Dewalt framing nailer for a friend and all the screws are metric. Just a heads up.

RP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh come on... if it is really that difficult to find a screw locally, then
why are you so cheap as to not just buy the damned thing? *What are you
going to save with all of this effort - a couple of bucks? *Sheese...

Mike,

My rant really was against DeWalt for choosing an odd thread/size
screw
to begin with. I checked with Sears and they want $10 to ship
a $1 screw.

There is a service center nearby, but I hazard that they they don't
any repair work, they just send it out. I'll check with them in the
morning.

I'll also might check with some machine shops.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

Oh come on... if it is really that difficult to find a screw locally, then
why are you so cheap as to not just buy the damned thing? What are you
going to save with all of this effort - a couple of bucks? Sheese...

Mike,

My rant really was against DeWalt for choosing an odd thread/size
screw
to begin with. I checked with Sears and they want $10 to ship
a $1 screw.

Which begs the question, If you were having a smaller item than the
screw shipped, say a 5 karat diamond, would you then think $10 would be
too much for shipping?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 22:16:09 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

Oh come on... if it is really that difficult to find a screw locally, then
why are you so cheap as to not just buy the damned thing? What are you
going to save with all of this effort - a couple of bucks? Sheese...

Mike,

My rant really was against DeWalt for choosing an odd thread/size
screw
to begin with. I checked with Sears and they want $10 to ship
a $1 screw.

Which begs the question, If you were having a smaller item than the
screw shipped, say a 5 karat diamond, would you then think $10 would be
too much for shipping?

g Not quite fair. A screw could be secured to a sheet of paper and
mailed in an envelope for a buck. A diamond couldn't, securely,
anyway. Good vendors would consider the first and faint from the
second.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

Oh come on... if it is really that difficult to find a screw
locally, then why are you so cheap as to not just buy the damned
thing? What are you going to save with all of this effort - a
couple of bucks? Sheese...

Mike,

My rant really was against DeWalt for choosing an odd thread/size
screw
to begin with. I checked with Sears and they want $10 to ship
a $1 screw.

Which begs the question, If you were having a smaller item than the
screw shipped, say a 5 karat diamond, would you then think $10 would
be too much for shipping?

Well, to be fair, I've also thought about that. Becaause of the way
shipping departments are set up, it seems near impossible to get one to just
throw a small part like a screw into an envelope and send it via US Mail
anymore. I bought an indicator window for my table saw fence system and it
was the same thing - the part was cheap but it had to go UPS and the
shipping was almost three times the cost of the part.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

Oh come on... if it is really that difficult to find a screw locally, then
why are you so cheap as to not just buy the damned thing? What are you
going to save with all of this effort - a couple of bucks? Sheese...

Mike,

My rant really was against DeWalt for choosing an odd thread/size
screw
to begin with. I checked with Sears and they want $10 to ship
a $1 screw.

Which begs the question, If you were having a smaller item than the
screw shipped, say a 5 karat diamond, would you then think $10 would be
too much for shipping?

g Not quite fair. A screw could be secured to a sheet of paper and
mailed in an envelope for a buck. A diamond couldn't, securely,
anyway. Good vendors would consider the first and faint from the
second.

Exactly why would a diamond not be able to be securely attached to a
piece of paper and mailed?

But to get back on track, why do people assume that it takes less man
power and expense to ship an in expensive item vs. one of much more
perceived value?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Exactly why would a diamond not be able to be securely attached to a
piece of paper and mailed?

Ummmmm... it's a question of value.

But to get back on track, why do people assume that it takes less man
power and expense to ship an in expensive item vs. one of much more
perceived value?

Because it does indeed take less effort and expense to ship a screw than it
does to ship an anvil.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

[...]

It couldn't be securely -mailed- that way, foo.

But to get back on track, why do people assume that it takes less man
power and expense to ship an in expensive item vs. one of much more
perceived value?

I don't agree that the expenses for mailing are that high. I sell
things myself and if I can mail it in an envelope, the customer isn't
charged for the PM fees, ever!

Show me a company who has to _spend_ ten bucks to ship a little screw
and I'll show you a company who overcharges for every item it sells.
And I won't be a customer of theirs. The value usually isn't there.

LJ--cheap^H^H^H^H^Hfrugal bastid, and proud of it.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2012 8:00 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Exactly why would a diamond not be able to be securely attached to a
piece of paper and mailed?

Ummmmm... it's a question of value.

But to get back on track, why do people assume that it takes less man
power and expense to ship an in expensive item vs. one of much more
perceived value?

Because it does indeed take less effort and expense to ship a screw than it
does to ship an anvil.

Does it? Both have to be handled. some one has to take the order, pull
the order, stock the part, create the bill, ship the part and the paper
work involved with that, and yes postage requires all of this too. And
while an anvil is heavier than a screw the people selling and shipping
the anvil are equipped to handle the weight.

But back on track, I mentioned screws and diamonds, about the same
weight and size.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

[...]

Why not? Does tape not stick to diamonds? It happens every day FWIW.

Perhaps you mean to indicate that it would not be safe to ship a high
dollar item in an envelope. Perhaps "security" might not be what you
would be comfortable with.

But to get back on track, why do people assume that it takes less man
power and expense to ship an in expensive item vs. one of much more
perceived value?

I don't agree that the expenses for mailing are that high. I sell
things myself and if I can mail it in an envelope, the customer isn't
charged for the PM fees, ever!

You are looking at the small picture. The special screw cannot be had
any where. The screw has to be stored in a building. People work in
this building. People cost. Insurance, electricity, time. shipping costs.

Sure it would cost about 50 cants to throw the screw in an envelope and
let the mailman pic it up to deliver it. You are forgetting all the
costs to get the screw from the manufacturer to the envelope that is
coming to you. Would you feel better about a $1 screw sold for $10 and
shipped for $1?

Show me a company who has to _spend_ ten bucks to ship a little screw
and I'll show you a company who overcharges for every item it sells.
And I won't be a customer of theirs. The value usually isn't there.

And I will show you a company that is still in business. The value is
there if it means being able to complete a job and getting paid. For the
hobbyist, maybe not.

I agree that for many the price seem steep and for each instance the
price may be high or a bargain. Hell $1 for a 5 cent screw seems high
looking at it your way.

LJ--cheap^H^H^H^H^Hfrugal bastid, and proud of it.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Does it? Both have to be handled. some one has to take the order,
pull the order, stock the part, create the bill, ship the part and
the paper work involved with that, and yes postage requires all of
this too. And while an anvil is heavier than a screw the people
selling and shipping the anvil are equipped to handle the weight.

That stuff is overhead and is all built into the price.

But back on track, I mentioned screws and diamonds, about the same
weight and size.

But... considerably different value which makes your analogy ill fitted.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2012 10:15 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Does it? Both have to be handled. some one has to take the order,
pull the order, stock the part, create the bill, ship the part and
the paper work involved with that, and yes postage requires all of
this too. And while an anvil is heavier than a screw the people
selling and shipping the anvil are equipped to handle the weight.

That stuff is overhead and is all built into the price.

Sure it but you think that the $1 screw price can cover all of the
expenses to ship it? Probably does not ever cover the stamp price.

Yes there are bigger ticket items to make up the difference but if the
piddley profit stuff costs you every time you sell one and ship it the
smart retailer will stop carrying the part.

But back on track, I mentioned screws and diamonds, about the same
weight and size.

But... considerably different value which makes your analogy ill fitted.

What does value have to do with the cost of shipping a like sized and
and weight item?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Sure it but you think that the $1 screw price can cover all of the
expenses to ship it? Probably does not ever cover the stamp price.

Yes there are bigger ticket items to make up the difference but if the
piddley profit stuff costs you every time you sell one and ship it the
smart retailer will stop carrying the part.

But the difference in our points of view is not so much centered around them
making a bit to cover costs of handling, but it was about the UPS (or like)
charges for something that could have gone into an envelope for a lot less.

But back on track, I mentioned screws and diamonds, about the same
weight and size.

But... considerably different value which makes your analogy ill
fitted.

What does value have to do with the cost of shipping a like sized and
and weight item?

Just that value has a big effect on what people would accept as a method of
shipment. For high value items, most people are comfortable with the
charges associated with a more secure method of shipment. For something
like a screw - why bother?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

[...]

Pedantic much? Of course that was my meaning.

But to get back on track, why do people assume that it takes less man
power and expense to ship an in expensive item vs. one of much more
perceived value?

I don't agree that the expenses for mailing are that high. I sell
things myself and if I can mail it in an envelope, the customer isn't
charged for the PM fees, ever!

You are looking at the small picture. The special screw cannot be had
any where. The screw has to be stored in a building. People work in
this building. People cost. Insurance, electricity, time. shipping costs.

Give me a freakin' break, Leon. You can't bill everyone for every
cost. Each one has its own, and that's why a penny screw costs a buck
now. A box of old screws has a sunk cost, not a current, additive
one. Hayseuss Crisco, get real, man.

Sure it would cost about 50 cants to throw the screw in an envelope and
let the mailman pic it up to deliver it. You are forgetting all the
costs to get the screw from the manufacturer to the envelope that is
coming to you. Would you feel better about a $1 screw sold for $10 and
shipped for $1?

If it were a much larger item, it might be subject to inventory costs,
but most little things aren't.

Show me a company who has to _spend_ ten bucks to ship a little screw
and I'll show you a company who overcharges for every item it sells.
And I won't be a customer of theirs. The value usually isn't there.

And I will show you a company that is still in business. The value is
there if it means being able to complete a job and getting paid. For the
hobbyist, maybe not.

Folks who gouge for shipping usually do go out of business. There is a
strong sense of fairness in most of the American people. Perhaps not
so much in Texas?

I agree that for many the price seem steep and for each instance the
price may be high or a bargain. Hell $1 for a 5 cent screw seems high
looking at it your way.

You bet.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Does it? Both have to be handled. some one has to take the order,
pull the order, stock the part, create the bill, ship the part and
the paper work involved with that, and yes postage requires all of
this too. And while an anvil is heavier than a screw the people
selling and shipping the anvil are equipped to handle the weight.

That stuff is overhead and is all built into the price.

Sure it but you think that the $1 screw price can cover all of the
expenses to ship it? Probably does not ever cover the stamp price.

Yes there are bigger ticket items to make up the difference but if the
piddley profit stuff costs you every time you sell one and ship it the
smart retailer will stop carrying the part.

If you ****-over every customer by gouging you for every little thing,
they'll quickly move to another brand of jewjaw. The smart mfgrs will
simply pop one in the mail for you and not even charge you. You'll be
happy, charmed, and forever in their debt. You'll tell 100 people how
great they are and they'll make a handsome profit from that very, very
inexpensive bit of good will.

And with that, I'm done with the thread.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

[...]

And yet in your first response, you wrote pointing out specifically that
a screw could be secured to a piece of paper but a diamond could not be.

A screw could be secured to a sheet of paper and
mailed in an envelope for a buck. A diamond couldn't, securely,
anyway.

You compared the diamond method of shipping to the screw method of
shipping, no change of reference.

Money/cash gets mailed on a daily basis, leaves less of a paper trail.
I suspect diamonds are also transferred that way too.

I could not afford to loose a diamond so I would probably insure it and
or use a different container. If I were wanting to hide the reoccurring
movement of cash or diamonds and not want any one to know....

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

[...]

You really don't seem to get it. Manufacturers will pop one in the
mail, yes. We are talking retailers. It would cost a manufacturer more
to bill a customer than to give it away. They do not deal with cash,
retailers do.

And with that, I'm done with the thread.

I think you were done before this post.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

[...]

I did service work for a major manufacturer of emergency backup
equipment. There was no part including a washer with a price under
$1.00 We did get them to start packaging installation kits so when
you went into the field you had all the little parts. That was a win
win as if it was warranty it saved them money as well. I know you
don't like it Larry but while we were a service center we ran into
some of those costs. 30 minutes dealing with people that didn't know
what they needed to sell a $10 part. Its nice to be nice but you
can't ignore overhead and operating costs. There were times we gave
parts away just to save money, but sometimes the cost is subject to
the customers attitude.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/2012 11:13 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

[...]

Exactly my point. But why are people more inclined to pay more for
postage for a $100 item than a $1 item of the same size and weight?

Now lets think about that. I ship a screw to you and because it is
cheap I don't charge you enough to really cover the real cost for
shipping. It gets lost in the mail. Now you expect me to do this again
except this time I cover the cost of shipping again and give you the
part for free.

If we teach retailers to not expect to cover their true cost of
shipping a $1 part they are going to learn to not ship that kind of
product. If you want it, go and get it.

Just because a person believes that it does not cost more than a $1 to
create a sales invoice, pull the part, package it, and pay for delivery
does not mean that it does not cost much more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

[...]

Eggssacly! ;~) I think what most of the unknowing believe is that they
are the only ones that are buying the $1 part so paying a buck or two
for shipping is OK, no big loss for the retailer. What they don't
consider is that this happens hundreds of times per day per location.
So you hire "ONE" guy to sell, pull, package, and pay for shipping, 50,
$1 parts. That is all he has time to do. I can assure you the profit
of those 50 sales will not pay his salary for the day and shipping
expense. Not to mention overhead, insurance.....

The multi-part repair kits make a lot of sense, but then you are going
to have the guy that only needs one part that he thinks his particular
part in the kit should cost 25 cents and whine because he has to buy the
$5 kit.

I spent my most of my life in the service industry, wholesale and
retail. With wholesale you don't deal with the one'z, two'z orders.
Retailers have to deal with everything.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:47:19 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
You really don't seem to get it. Manufacturers will pop one in the
mail, yes. We are talking retailers. It would cost a manufacturer more
to bill a customer than to give it away. They do not deal with cash,
retailers do.

Gotta disagree with you a bit here Leon. Thinking of Lee Valley Tools.
They *do* absorb the cost and would send you the part. But then, a
large part of LV's marketing model is their customer service.

Not too many companies are in the same category as Lee Valley Tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Eggssacly! ;~) I think what most of the unknowing believe is that
they are the only ones that are buying the $1 part so paying a buck
or two for shipping is OK, no big loss for the retailer. What they
don't consider is that this happens hundreds of times per day per
location. So you hire "ONE" guy to sell, pull, package, and pay for
shipping, 50, $1 parts. That is all he has time to do. I can assure
you the profit of those 50 sales will not pay his salary for the day
and shipping expense. Not to mention overhead, insurance.....

Maybe I'm getting this wrong, or maybe you're not getting what I and others
have made simple comment on. It's not a matter of them covering their
costs. As I recall, the only real comment that was ever made was about the
cost of shipping very small stuff like that via the more expensive carriers,
rather than a simple stamp and off into USPS. Those cost differences have
nothing to do with the supplier. He already has his mark up in the price.
It's just a matter of the transportation costs for delivery. UPS is many
dollars, USPS is a few cents.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Exactly my point. But why are people more inclined to pay more for
postage for a $100 item than a $1 item of the same size and weight?

I think the answer to that is kind of obvious.

Now lets think about that. I ship a screw to you and because it is
cheap I don't charge you enough to really cover the real cost for
shipping. It gets lost in the mail. Now you expect me to do this
again except this time I cover the cost of shipping again and give
you the part for free.

Why not cover the real cost for shipping? My point has been - why not use
cheaper shipping (USPS) for something like a screw, instead of UPS? I've
had plenty of stuff delivered to my house via USPS so it's not like it is
not done. I've also had plenty of stuff delivered via UPS that would fit
into your shirt pocket along with a pack of cigarettes.

If we teach retailers to not expect to cover their true cost of
shipping a $1 part they are going to learn to not ship that kind of
product. If you want it, go and get it.

I don't think we're teaching retailers anything Leon.

Just because a person believes that it does not cost more than a $1 to
create a sales invoice, pull the part, package it, and pay for
delivery does not mean that it does not cost much more.

Like I say - that is a different argument.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

[...]

THAT I can understand. It's a $10 part but you want to charge $50 to
the guy on the phone who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the
ground and kept you on the phone for so long. I call that extra $40 a
training fee.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 5:27 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Exactly my point. But why are people more inclined to pay more for
postage for a $100 item than a $1 item of the same size and weight?

I think the answer to that is kind of obvious.

Unfortunately obvious.

Now lets think about that. I ship a screw to you and because it is
cheap I don't charge you enough to really cover the real cost for
shipping. It gets lost in the mail. Now you expect me to do this
again except this time I cover the cost of shipping again and give
you the part for free.

Why not cover the real cost for shipping? My point has been - why not use
cheaper shipping (USPS) for something like a screw, instead of UPS?

Several way to explain that. First, a screw in a 50 cent letter is only
$5 less expensive to ship than in a UPS box. Total all the numbers and
you save 10~15%. Shipping costs in not the only cost factor. You don't
get insurance on anything inside a USPS letter, all of UPS has at least
a minimal $100 insurance.

I've
had plenty of stuff delivered to my house via USPS so it's not like it is
not done. I've also had plenty of stuff delivered via UPS that would fit
into your shirt pocket along with a pack of cigarettes.

Yeah but you are still missing the point. The cost of shipping an item
to a customer is much more expensive that simply what the retailer pays
for shipping.

If we teach retailers to not expect to cover their true cost of
shipping a $1 part they are going to learn to not ship that kind of
product. If you want it, go and get it.

I don't think we're teaching retailers anything Leon.

Your are kidding right? Have you noticed the quality of tools lately.
We are not going to pay more than what harbor freight charges and the
quality of PC, Milwaukee, Delta goes down to compete price wise.

Just because a person believes that it does not cost more than a $1 to
create a sales invoice, pull the part, package it, and pay for
delivery does not mean that it does not cost much more.

Like I say - that is a different argument.

???

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 12:24 AM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:47:19 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
You really don't seem to get it. Manufacturers will pop one in the
mail, yes. We are talking retailers. It would cost a manufacturer more
to bill a customer than to give it away. They do not deal with cash,
retailers do.

Gotta disagree with you a bit here Leon. Thinking of Lee Valley Tools.
They *do* absorb the cost and would send you the part. But then, a
large part of LV's marketing model is their customer service.

Agreed! But as you indicate, Lee Valley on a normal basis charges for
shipping pretty much at the top of what you pay for shipping from any
one else. And every thing that I have ordered from LV has come via UPS
so their shipment is insured. They absorb the cost of mam power to
reship and probably the shipping cost but not the replacement cost of
the item lost.

Not too many companies are in the same category as Lee Valley Tools.

This is true and oddly no one complains about their shipping costs. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 5:22 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

[...]

I am strictly referring to the OP original statement.

Ok, went on-line and it seems that most of
the parts dealers have it, but I'm sure I'm going to pay $5 to ship
it
to me!. ARGH!

The screw may still come in the 50 cent letter but the customer is going
to pay for the service of having it delivered to this door step rather
than him driving to the store himself, picking up the part himself, and
paying for it at the register himself, and driving back home.

The cost that the customer pays for shipping is but a small percentage
of the actual cost of every aspect to ship that item. Much cheaper on
the retailer for the customer to come and get it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/6/2012 8:49 AM, Leon wrote:

Not too many companies are in the same category as Lee Valley Tools.

This is true and oddly no one complains about their shipping costs. LOL

Once one can afford LV class the added shipping is little hindrance.
It's the bargain hunters generally trying to cut corners...

Of course, in general it's harder to swallow a 100% markup on small
items than an additional 10-20% on larger ones even if the absolute
value is far larger on the latter...that's psychology at work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 9:49 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/6/2012 12:24 AM, Dave wrote:

Not too many companies are in the same category as Lee Valley Tools.

This is true and oddly no one complains about their shipping costs. LOL

*##$%##$*%%$%$^#$^ shipping costs!!! : )

Ordered a router bit from Amazon yesterday. $1 shipping cost.
(Seller: RouterBitWorld).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Several way to explain that. First, a screw in a 50 cent letter is
only $5 less expensive to ship than in a UPS box. Total all the
numbers and you save 10~15%. Shipping costs in not the only cost
factor. You don't get insurance on anything inside a USPS letter,
all of UPS has at least a minimal $100 insurance.

Seems to me that the cheapest UPS rate I've seen over the past couple of
years is at least $8 and generally closer to $13. That screw would mail via
USPS for the same as a first class letter. That's a pretty big difference.
But - even if it was only $5, the point remains that it is foolish to pay $5
to ship something that should only cost $0.50. As for insurance - maybe
some people do care about it on every shipment, but for a screw - I wouldn't
lose a lot of sleep over that. That's one expensive insurance policy you're
willing to pay Leon.

Yeah but you are still missing the point. The cost of shipping an
item to a customer is much more expensive that simply what the
retailer pays for shipping.

No Leon - it is you who is missing the point. We are talking about shipping
costs. The retailer (supplier) does not make profit on that cost - he
simply passes it along. The cost of shipping is exactly what the retailer
pays for shipping. The cost of handling is something different.

If we teach retailers to not expect to cover their true cost of
shipping a $1 part they are going to learn to not ship that kind of
product. If you want it, go and get it.

I don't think we're teaching retailers anything Leon.

Your are kidding right? Have you noticed the quality of tools lately.
We are not going to pay more than what harbor freight charges and the
quality of PC, Milwaukee, Delta goes down to compete price wise.

Yeahbut - now you're really stretching this. We are not "teaching"
retailers anything about shipping. They know that end of their business far
better than either you or I, regardless of our experiences. Trust me - I
have done multi-million dollar business with these guys and they know their
business far better than we do. Let me assure you - you are not going to
"teach" them something - or at least not much.

Just because a person believes that it does not cost more than a $1
to create a sales invoice, pull the part, package it, and pay for
delivery does not mean that it does not cost much more.

Like I say - that is a different argument.

???

Leon - you keep going back to handling costs even though it has been
explained to you that the comments have been about shipping costs. Don't
you see the difference?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

But - what is different about their shipping policies? The seem to be
pretty much what everyone else does. It does not seem that they are in any
way unique. Again - I may be missing something...

--

-Mike-