Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot screw display - where can I get that awesome "screw thread board".?

I want to sort all my screws and keep them sorted. The Home Depot has
a board in their fastener section, into which you can thread your
screw or bolt. It tells you the number and pitch.

Are those sold anywhere? It would be so handy to keep next to the
fastener storage on my workbench. Not only could I definitely sort my
screws now, but every time I add one to the pile I can always put itin
the right place.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Bryan Scholtes" wrote in message
I want to sort all my screws and keep them sorted. The Home Depot has
a board in their fastener section, into which you can thread your
screw or bolt. It tells you the number and pitch.

Are those sold anywhere? It would be so handy to keep next to the
fastener storage on my workbench. Not only could I definitely sort my
screws now, but every time I add one to the pile I can always put itin
the right place.

Lee Valley carries one, available in Imperial or Metric threads.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 16, 12:23*pm, Bryan Scholtes wrote:
I want to sort all my screws and keep them sorted. The Home Depot has
a board in their fastener section, into which you can thread your
screw or bolt. It tells you the number and pitch.

Are those sold anywhere? It would be so handy to keep next to the
fastener storage on my workbench. Not only could I definitely sort my
screws now, but every time I add one to the pile I can always put itin
the right place.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2RO2HPYYAK7JI

I have an SAE one that I bought at a Sears Hardware, unfortunately
I've never seen a metric one for sale anywhere in a B&M store. That's
been sitting in my Amazon shopping cart for a while now in case I need
to fill out an order.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ct_title_7?ie=....

I have an SAE one that I bought at a Sears Hardware, unfortunately
I've never seen a metric one for sale anywhere in a B&M store. *That's
been sitting in my Amazon shopping cart for a while now in case I need
to fill out an order.

nate

Also, if you have an engraver and a tap and die set, you could make
your own from aluminum plate...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2012 12:24 PM, EXT wrote:

"Bryan Scholtes" wrote in message
I want to sort all my screws and keep them sorted. The Home Depot has
a board in their fastener section, into which you can thread your
screw or bolt. It tells you the number and pitch.

Are those sold anywhere? It would be so handy to keep next to the
fastener storage on my workbench. Not only could I definitely sort my
screws now, but every time I add one to the pile I can always put itin
the right place.

Lee Valley carries one, available in Imperial or Metric threads.

Do you recall where you saw them in Lee Valley's catalog?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/16/2012 3:00 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

Do you recall where you saw them in Lee Valley's catalog?

There's this one; don't recall whether there's also the standard
threaded-hole plate type there or not...

http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/page.aspx?p=64800&cat=3,41306

Oh, here are the plates...

http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/page.aspx?p=51784&cat=3,41306

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 12:40*pm, N8N wrote:
On Feb 16, 12:33*pm, N8N wrote:

[...]

Or drill and tap two sets of holes. In the second hole put the
corresponding size screw. Mine is bought but it wouldnt be hard to DIY
one.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 2/16/2012 3:00 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

Do you recall where you saw them in Lee Valley's catalog?

There's this one; don't recall whether there's also the standard
threaded-hole plate type there or not...

http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/page.aspx?p=64800&cat=3,41306

Oh, here are the plates...

http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/page.aspx?p=51784&cat=3,41306

OR Rockler .com

part #30857 standard

part #38496 metric

I have both sets, they are neat hanging on small cable .

$15.95 per

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 16, 4:58*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 16, 12:40*pm, N8N wrote:

On Feb 16, 12:33*pm, N8N wrote:

[...]

Yes, that'd be nice. Or buy two of the screw checkers and in the
second one put in the screws. then you can check nuts as well. I've
also seen products like this

http://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Thread-Ch...9495871&sr=8-1

which accomplish the same task, just in a different format.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 16, 4:11*pm, dpb wrote:
On 2/16/2012 3:00 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

Do you recall where you saw them in Lee Valley's catalog?

There's this one; don't recall whether there's also the standard
threaded-hole plate type there or not...

http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/page.aspx?p=64800&cat=3,41306

Dang, I really like that. I might have to put that on my Christmas
list.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 17, 11:25*am, N8N wrote:
On Feb 16, 4:11*pm, dpb wrote:

On 2/16/2012 3:00 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

Do you recall where you saw them in Lee Valley's catalog?

There's this one; don't recall whether there's also the standard
threaded-hole plate type there or not...

http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/page.aspx?p=64800&cat=3,41306

Dang, I really like that. *I might have to put that on my Christmas
list.

Although now that I look at it closer, the last time I had to identify
a tapped hole (actually a captive nut) it was a M12 fine thread, so
that still wouldn't have helped... I guess nobody makes one tool to
rule them all, although that is pretty darn close. I just determined
what that one was by process of elimination; I tried a 1/2" NC, 1/2"
NF, and M12 standard pitch, none of them worked and it looked finer
than M12 standard so I brilliantly deduced what it must be (I also
took the part - a spare tire carrier - to the auto parts store with me
just to be sure... It is sad when your FLAPS has a better selection
of hardware than your local hardware store, but c'est la vie.)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 16, 11:23*am, Bryan Scholtes wrote:
I want to sort all my screws and keep them sorted. The Home Depot has
a board in their fastener section, into which you can thread your
screw or bolt. It tells you the number and pitch.

Are those sold anywhere? It would be so handy to keep next to the
fastener storage on my workbench. Not only could I definitely sort my
screws now, but every time I add one to the pile I can always put itin
the right place.

Buy a tap and die set in whatever system you prefer and use the parts
of that for ID'ing the hardware. Admit it, you could use one, right?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2012 9:23 AM, Bryan Scholtes wrote:
I want to sort all my screws and keep them sorted. The Home Depot has
a board in their fastener section, into which you can thread your
screw or bolt. It tells you the number and pitch.

Are those sold anywhere? It would be so handy to keep next to the
fastener storage on my workbench. Not only could I definitely sort my
screws now, but every time I add one to the pile I can always put itin
the right place.

How about dirt cheap chinese metric and SAE tap/die sets?

They also make thread gauges. LIttle metal strips with teeth you
just lie against the tread. If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2012 12:23 PM, Bryan Scholtes wrote:
I want to sort all my screws and keep them sorted. The Home Depot has
a board in their fastener section, into which you can thread your
screw or bolt. It tells you the number and pitch.

Are those sold anywhere? It would be so handy to keep next to the
fastener storage on my workbench. Not only could I definitely sort my
screws now, but every time I add one to the pile I can always put itin
the right place.

Good grief, have you any idea how many tapped holes you will need? You
could devote an entire garage wall to that project and still not cover
the subject.

Cheap dial calipers, expensive ones also work , a pocket calculator
and thread charts are all you really need. May as well download tap
drill size charts while you are at it.

As for the charts, Google 'ISO thread charts' , print out and place in
plastic sleeves, hang where you store your hardware.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

ENCO has the "Thread Detective" which has 25 inch and metric sizes in a
nice "stud" format threaded on a steel cable where each stud has a male