Posted to rec.woodworking

Default For want of a screw (not that kind)

Leon wrote:
On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

Oh come on... if it is really that difficult to find a screw
locally, then why are you so cheap as to not just buy the damned
thing? What are you going to save with all of this effort - a
couple of bucks? Sheese...

Mike,

My rant really was against DeWalt for choosing an odd thread/size
screw
to begin with. I checked with Sears and they want $10 to ship
a $1 screw.

Which begs the question, If you were having a smaller item than the
screw shipped, say a 5 karat diamond, would you then think $10 would
be too much for shipping?

Well, to be fair, I've also thought about that. Becaause of the way
shipping departments are set up, it seems near impossible to get one to just
throw a small part like a screw into an envelope and send it via US Mail
anymore. I bought an indicator window for my table saw fence system and it
was the same thing - the part was cheap but it had to go UPS and the
shipping was almost three times the cost of the part.

--

-Mike-