Posted to rec.woodworking

Default For want of a screw (not that kind)

Leon wrote:

The screw may still come in the 50 cent letter but the customer is
going to pay for the service of having it delivered to this door step
rather than him driving to the store himself, picking up the part
himself, and paying for it at the register himself, and driving back
home.
The cost that the customer pays for shipping is but a small percentage
of the actual cost of every aspect to ship that item. Much cheaper on
the retailer for the customer to come and get it.

Leon - I don't think you understand the difference between cost and
margins - which is how businesses operate.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

I want to thank everyone who responded, either to denigrate me for
"whining" or taking this post way off base or trying to be helpful.
It's been interesting.

To me the simplest thing would have DeWalt just tell me the thread/
size
of the damn screw. I sent a note off to their customer service and see
if they will respond. Their parts manual doesn't give any indication
what the size might be.

Many of my fellow local woodworkers suggest I just tap out the hole
and then put a more normal screw in. That might work in the end.

If I get a response from DeWalt, I'll let everyone know.

Many thanks,

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/6/2012 11:50 AM, MJ wrote:

To me the simplest thing would have DeWalt just tell me the thread/
size of the damn screw. I sent a note off to their customer service and see
if they will respond. Their parts manual doesn't give any indication
what the size might be.

Many of my fellow local woodworkers suggest I just tap out the hole
and then put a more normal screw in. That might work in the end.

Can't think it can be _that_ unusual; certainly they didn't dream up a
non-standard size (even if it isn't terribly common)

Surely there's a thread gauge at the Fastenal or hardware or auto parts
store that you could use to determine the size/thread pitch if you can't
just from a parts bin???

I'd venture if a common machine screw doesn't fit it's metric (and
actually I'd have ventured that as a guess, anyway).

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote in :

*snip*

I'd venture if a common machine screw doesn't fit it's metric (and
actually I'd have ventured that as a guess, anyway).

My standard procedure is to try the usual sizes, and if they don't fit or
the fit is sloppy to give metric sizes a try.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 10:23 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Several way to explain that. First, a screw in a 50 cent letter is
only $5 less expensive to ship than in a UPS box. Total all the
numbers and you save 10~15%. Shipping costs in not the only cost
factor. You don't get insurance on anything inside a USPS letter,
all of UPS has at least a minimal $100 insurance.

Seems to me that the cheapest UPS rate I've seen over the past couple of
years is at least $8 and generally closer to $13. That screw would mail via
USPS for the same as a first class letter. That's a pretty big difference.
But - even if it was only $5, the point remains that it is foolish to pay $5
to ship something that should only cost $0.50. As for insurance - maybe
some people do care about it on every shipment, but for a screw - I wouldn't
lose a lot of sleep over that. That's one expensive insurance policy you're
willing to pay Leon.

Yeah but you are still missing the point. The cost of shipping an
item to a customer is much more expensive that simply what the
retailer pays for shipping.

No Leon - it is you who is missing the point. We are talking about shipping
costs. The retailer (supplier) does not make profit on that cost - he
simply passes it along.

He passes 15~20% of the cost on to the customer, some times less some
times more.

The cost of shipping is exactly what the retailer
pays for shipping. The cost of handling is something different.

Gramted I am strictly talking S&H, that is why I am saying that the
total cost is much more that what the retailer is paying to have it shipped.

If we teach retailers to not expect to cover their true cost of
shipping a $1 part they are going to learn to not ship that kind of
product. If you want it, go and get it.

I don't think we're teaching retailers anything Leon.

Your are kidding right? Have you noticed the quality of tools lately.
We are not going to pay more than what harbor freight charges and the
quality of PC, Milwaukee, Delta goes down to compete price wise.

Yeahbut - now you're really stretching this. We are not "teaching"
retailers anything about shipping. They know that end of their business far
better than either you or I, regardless of our experiences. Trust me - I
have done multi-million dollar business with these guys and they know their
business far better than we do. Let me assure you - you are not going to
"teach" them something - or at least not much.

I was a retailer, I was a wholesaler, I was responsible for the pricing
policy.

Just because a person believes that it does not cost more than a $1
to create a sales invoice, pull the part, package it, and pay for
delivery does not mean that it does not cost much more.

Like I say - that is a different argument.

???

Leon - you keep going back to handling costs even though it has been
explained to you that the comments have been about shipping costs. Don't
you see the difference?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 9:28 AM, dpb wrote:
On 11/6/2012 8:49 AM, Leon wrote:

Not too many companies are in the same category as Lee Valley Tools.

This is true and oddly no one complains about their shipping costs. LOL

Once one can afford LV class the added shipping is little hindrance.
It's the bargain hunters generally trying to cut corners...

Of course, in general it's harder to swallow a 100% markup on small
items than an additional 10-20% on larger ones even if the absolute
value is far larger on the latter...that's psychology at work.

--

You nailed it, it is psychology at work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 10:02 AM, Bill wrote:
On 11/6/2012 9:49 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/6/2012 12:24 AM, Dave wrote:

Not too many companies are in the same category as Lee Valley Tools.

This is true and oddly no one complains about their shipping costs. LOL

*##$%##$*%%$%$^#$^ shipping costs!!! : )

Ordered a router bit from Amazon yesterday. $1 shipping cost.
(Seller: RouterBitWorld).

And did you notice that you viewed the fact that the bit is coming from
RouterWorld? Many have not heard Router World until $1 shipping was
offered. Did you notice the suggestion of perhaps viewing and hopefully
buying "what others also bought" when they ordered that bit? The
shipping cost is hopefully covered by the impulse sale that many will
add on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 10:25 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 11/6/2012 12:24 AM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:47:19 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
You really don't seem to get it. Manufacturers will pop one in the
mail, yes. We are talking retailers. It would cost a manufacturer
more to bill a customer than to give it away. They do not deal
with cash, retailers do.

Gotta disagree with you a bit here Leon. Thinking of Lee Valley
Tools. They *do* absorb the cost and would send you the part. But
then, a large part of LV's marketing model is their customer service.

Agreed! But as you indicate, Lee Valley on a normal basis charges for
shipping pretty much at the top of what you pay for shipping from any
one else. And every thing that I have ordered from LV has come via
UPS so their shipment is insured. They absorb the cost of mam power
to reship and probably the shipping cost but not the replacement cost
of the item lost.

Not too many companies are in the same category as Lee Valley Tools.

This is true and oddly no one complains about their shipping costs.

But - what is different about their shipping policies? The seem to be
pretty much what everyone else does. It does not seem that they are in any
way unique. Again - I may be missing something...

Lee Valley is typically more expensive for the same items than the
competition and typically pretty high for shipping. A great many LV
customers are willing to pay the extra for the better service. They
tend to be way more expensive than Amazon but then again you are paying
for a better service, no hassle return policy, you can find their
telephone number easily should a problem come up. When you buy from
them they can afford to take care of you when things go wrong. And then
they don't give away shipping, on a regular basis.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 10:28 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

The screw may still come in the 50 cent letter but the customer is
going to pay for the service of having it delivered to this door step
rather than him driving to the store himself, picking up the part
himself, and paying for it at the register himself, and driving back
home.
The cost that the customer pays for shipping is but a small percentage
of the actual cost of every aspect to ship that item. Much cheaper on
the retailer for the customer to come and get it.

Leon - I don't think you understand the difference between cost and
margins - which is how businesses operate.

I understand and probably well enough to have run 3~4 businesses well
enough to retire at 40. I did not use generic spread sheets, I made my
own to tell me what I really wanted to know. ADP, our computer company
gave me "english" manuals so that I could get the computer to produce
reports that I wanted vs. what they were providing.

FWIW, age 28 I was running a parts department for a large Oldsmobile
dealer. GM loved to send in their experts to analogize my purchased
from GM vs. outside suppliers of GM parts. My sales and GP were growing
20~30 percent each year from the previous 5 that we had been in
business. Three weeks the GM experts spent analyzing my pricing policy,
purchases and from whom I was purchasing, shipping costs etc.

Day of reckoning with my boss and the dealer. It was suggested that I
decrease percentage of GP and pass the shipping cost straight on to the
customer with out mark up. This "might" increase sales.

Their words, other than that suggestion, that department is a "screaming
machine". They did not even suggest I buy more from them than from the
people that they sold to. Yes, I placed supplemental stock orders from
a company that they sold to and paid less for parts than if I bought
direct. I did loose return reserves to return obsolete stock but it was
also determined that my savings in purchases were by far out weighing
giving that up. My GM rep was ****ed because this 29 year old kid that
had only been in the GM auto business for 5 years seemed to know what he
was doing.

And yes at the time I was only the manager, not the top dog, but I did
see the monthly P&L statements which is a very rare situation. I knew
what every department netted, the dealership netted, and what the dealer
was paid.

I'll not go into further details, promotions, and or other jobs but I
was pretty much successful from that point forward, till 40, then I
retired so to speak.

Keep in mind that I have been out of that lime light for 18 years, I may
no longer use the correct terminology but I know how to make a business
grow, make a profit, and control expenses.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 11:50 AM, MJ wrote:
I want to thank everyone who responded, either to denigrate me for
"whining" or taking this post way off base or trying to be helpful.
It's been interesting.

To me the simplest thing would have DeWalt just tell me the thread/
size
of the damn screw. I sent a note off to their customer service and see
if they will respond. Their parts manual doesn't give any indication
what the size might be.

Many of my fellow local woodworkers suggest I just tap out the hole
and then put a more normal screw in. That might work in the end.

If I get a response from DeWalt, I'll let everyone know.

Many thanks,

MJ

If the thread size is any where near standard your local hardware store
should be able to supply that. Or go in and start trying different
sizes. What you may be running into is an odd pitch size and or a
different kind of thread, for instance an acme thread.

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:

I want to thank everyone who responded, either to denigrate me for
"whining" or taking this post way off base or trying to be helpful.
It's been interesting.

Awe hell - I still think you're a cheapskate :-) (I don't normally use
smilelies but my last attempt at lighheartedness as well as other posts have
provoked me to use one now...)

To me the simplest thing would have DeWalt just tell me the thread/
size
of the damn screw. I sent a note off to their customer service and see
if they will respond. Their parts manual doesn't give any indication
what the size might be.

I'm really kind of surprised you could not find it in an IPB. Have you
tried to measure the threads with a thread guage? That should quickly show
you what you need. A decent hardware store that carries both left and right
thread screws (or local fastener supplier), should be able to fix you right
up. I'm not sure what the screw is for (that you are looking for), so I
don't know if it is left or right hand thread. Just does not seem that it
would be that difficult to figure out the right size.

Many of my fellow local woodworkers suggest I just tap out the hole
and then put a more normal screw in. That might work in the end.

Maybe. Depending on what the screw does, just make sure to get the
direction right.

If I get a response from DeWalt, I'll let everyone know.

That is always good.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
dpb wrote in :

*snip*

I'd venture if a common machine screw doesn't fit it's metric (and
actually I'd have ventured that as a guess, anyway).

My standard procedure is to try the usual sizes, and if they don't
fit or the fit is sloppy to give metric sizes a try.

No, no, no! If it is a sloppy or tight, just turn the damned thing harder!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I was a retailer, I was a wholesaler, I was responsible for the
pricing policy.

Apparently you did not understand the difference between shipping and
handling. Most wholesalers and retailers simply pass on the shipping cost.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/6/2012 10:28 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Leon - I don't think you understand the difference between cost and
margins - which is how businesses operate.

I understand and probably well enough to have run 3~4 businesses well
enough to retire at 40. I did not use generic spread sheets, I made
my own to tell me what I really wanted to know. ADP, our computer
company gave me "english" manuals so that I could get the computer to
produce reports that I wanted vs. what they were providing.

Leon - I do not dispute what you did in your career, I am only speaking to
the obvious which is coming through in what you are arguing in this thread.
You continue to go back to irrelevant points, and avoid the points presented
to you. There is no argument about the need to cover the cost of handling
materials. Never has been. The only point (as far as I recall...) is that
there is no benefit to the wholesaler/retailer in shipping by more expensive
methods. Has nothing to do with cost, profit, margin, spreadsheets, or
retirement.

FWIW, age 28 I was running a parts department for a large Oldsmobile
dealer. GM loved to send in their experts to analogize my purchased
from GM vs. outside suppliers of GM parts. My sales and GP were
growing 20~30 percent each year from the previous 5 that we had been
in business. Three weeks the GM experts spent analyzing my pricing
policy, purchases and from whom I was purchasing, shipping costs etc.

Day of reckoning with my boss and the dealer. It was suggested that I
decrease percentage of GP and pass the shipping cost straight on to
the customer with out mark up. This "might" increase sales.

So... you were marking up shipping costs? Well shame on you Leon.

Their words, other than that suggestion, that department is a
"screaming machine". They did not even suggest I buy more from them
than from the people that they sold to. Yes, I placed supplemental
stock orders from a company that they sold to and paid less for parts
than if I bought direct. I did loose return reserves to return
obsolete stock but it was also determined that my savings in
purchases were by far out weighing giving that up. My GM rep was
****ed because this 29 year old kid that had only been in the GM auto
business for 5 years seemed to know what he was doing.

Ok - so you did well. You should be commended for that. But - you are
still confusing handling with shipping, and now it seems you advocate
marking up shipping. Cannot agree with you on that. BTW - I won't bore you
with the sucesses of my career...

I'll not go into further details, promotions, and or other jobs but I
was pretty much successful from that point forward, till 40, then I
retired so to speak.

Retired is a word we all hold in personal definition. Depending upon our
needs, we can retire very early. Or... or we can call it retirement while
we do other things to bring in the cash we need to survive... And of
course - some can actually save/invest enough in the early years to
actually, really, truely retire very early.

Keep in mind that I have been out of that lime light for 18 years, I
may no longer use the correct terminology but I know how to make a
business grow, make a profit, and control expenses.

I do not suggest otherwise. Remember my point - there is a difference
between handling and shipping.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 2:58 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

To help cover the handling costs! What in the world is wrong with
marking up shipping costs, vs. marking up products you sell?????

Seriously I never could quite understand why some people in business did
not mark up shipping costs to cover S&H. I never could quite understand
why some people in business paid a vendor for a service and pass it
directly along to the customer. And if you can find a reason to not do
so, your reason should also condemn a service company marking up the
labor performed by its employees and or marking up products you ship
directly from your supplier to the customer.

Their words, other than that suggestion, that department is a
"screaming machine". They did not even suggest I buy more from them
than from the people that they sold to. Yes, I placed supplemental
stock orders from a company that they sold to and paid less for parts
than if I bought direct. I did loose return reserves to return
obsolete stock but it was also determined that my savings in
purchases were by far out weighing giving that up. My GM rep was
****ed because this 29 year old kid that had only been in the GM auto
business for 5 years seemed to know what he was doing.

Ok - so you did well. You should be commended for that. But - you are
still confusing handling with shipping, and now it seems you advocate
marking up shipping. Cannot agree with you on that. BTW - I won't bore you
with the sucesses of my career...

No, I am not over stating the obvious, I am using a blanket comment
about the cost of shipping. Call it what you want, S&H or simply
shipping cost.

I'll not go into further details, promotions, and or other jobs but I
was pretty much successful from that point forward, till 40, then I
retired so to speak.

Retired is a word we all hold in personal definition. Depending upon our
needs, we can retire very early. Or... or we can call it retirement while
we do other things to bring in the cash we need to survive... And of
course - some can actually save/invest enough in the early years to
actually, really, truely retire very early.

Ok, I work to keep myself busy. I have not had to work since I retired,
in 1995. 2 years after retirement my wife and I were totally debt free,
and have remained so except for a minimum amount 0% interest loan on her
new car to save an extra $500, saving a significant portion of her
paycheck up until August of this year when she retired at 54. So far I
have not touched or been able to touch my retirement money which would
keep us going for about 10 years buy itself. Her retirement benefits
are adequate for us to maintain our life style and remain in effect
until both of us die.

So I would say that I actually ,really, truly retired very early.

Keep in mind that I have been out of that lime light for 18 years, I
may no longer use the correct terminology but I know how to make a
business grow, make a profit, and control expenses.

I do not suggest otherwise. Remember my point - there is a difference
between handling and shipping.

Yes there is except for what it costs the company bottom line. The more
ways you can increase your sales from each employee the better the
bottom line. Yes marking up shipping costs helps offset the expense of
getting the product to the customer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/6/2012 2:58 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I do not suggest otherwise. Remember my point - there is a
difference between handling and shipping.

Yes there is except for what it costs the company bottom line. The
more ways you can increase your sales from each employee the better
the bottom line. Yes marking up shipping costs helps offset the
expense of getting the product to the customer.

Well, the only reason I said that is because you had previously made many
statements about the cost of overhead associated with handling.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 15:58:37 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Leon wrote:
[...]

We were a small service center so for us UPS worked best. They
tracked everything so we could prove delivery ect. The other plus was
not being a huge company regularly shipping it meant somebody had to
take it to the post office, stand in line buy postage and be gone for
a minimum of 45 minutes. Some days there wasn't anyone available. Ran
into the same problem shipping hazardous materieals, dry lead acid
batteries to Alaska, someone had to take it to the airport and pack
it in front of an inspector. We started direct shipping from the
factory in Conneticut on those shipments. For a small business
generally you can't beat UPS. At least last time I worked in 2009.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 9:49 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/6/2012 12:24 AM, Dave wrote:

Not too many companies are in the same category as Lee Valley Tools.

This is true and oddly no one complains about their shipping costs. LOL

*##$%##$*%%$%$^#$^ shipping costs!!! : )

Ordered a router bit from Amazon yesterday. $1 shipping cost.
(Seller: RouterBitWorld).

And did you notice that you viewed the fact that the bit is coming from
RouterWorld?

As long as I'm plugging them, it's "RouterBitWorld"! : )

Many have not heard Router World until $1 shipping was
offered. Did you notice the suggestion of perhaps viewing and hopefully
buying "what others also bought" when they ordered that bit? The
shipping cost is hopefully covered by the impulse sale that many will
add on.

I mainly noticed that I didn't need to toss in a book or something to
reach the $25 threshold for "free shipping"! The $1 shipping, and a
quick online price check with the likes of Big Orange, turned it into a
no-brainer.

Occasionally, viewing "what other also bought" is interesting.
I try to block impulse purchases. This item was on my "wish list" for
over a week.

I'm still shopping for a jigsaw. Leaning towards Milwaukee 6268-21
jigsaw. The newer Bosch JS470 did not get such good reviews. Bosch's
older model #1590evs got good reviews (and leftover inventory have had
their prices increase 50%). Although, LarryJ doesn't trust the site
much, I use camelcamelcamel.com to follow prices. Though it would
probably yield the graph of a constant function for green tools.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:

We were a small service center so for us UPS worked best. They
tracked everything so we could prove delivery ect. The other plus was
not being a huge company regularly shipping it meant somebody had to
take it to the post office, stand in line buy postage and be gone for
a minimum of 45 minutes. Some days there wasn't anyone available. Ran
into the same problem shipping hazardous materieals, dry lead acid
batteries to Alaska, someone had to take it to the airport and pack
it in front of an inspector. We started direct shipping from the
factory in Conneticut on those shipments. For a small business
generally you can't beat UPS. At least last time I worked in 2009.

That makes quite a bit of sense. I'm used to mail delivery service that did
not require a trip to the post office. Had not really thought about that
hassle.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 20:04:14 -0500, Bill wrote:

I'm still shopping for a jigsaw. Leaning towards Milwaukee 6268-21
jigsaw. The newer Bosch JS470 did not get such good reviews. Bosch's
older model #1590evs got good reviews (and leftover inventory have had

The Bosch I tried really impressed me when I bought my first Impactor
years ago. I don't remember the model.

their prices increase 50%). Although, LarryJ doesn't trust the site
much, I use camelcamelcamel.com to follow prices. Though it would
probably yield the graph of a constant function for green tools.

I didn't like the app on my computer tracking everything I did, TYVM.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 20:04:14 -0500, Bill wrote:

I'm still shopping for a jigsaw. Leaning towards Milwaukee 6268-21
jigsaw. The newer Bosch JS470 did not get such good reviews. Bosch's
older model #1590evs got good reviews (and leftover inventory have had

The Bosch I tried really impressed me when I bought my first Impactor
years ago. I don't remember the model.

Well, it was surely better than some of the more recently released
models (JS365 and JS470). The Bosch 1590evs jigsaw, probably based upon
Lew's 1587, evidentally had a lot right with it. Of course, they
stopped making that one. I think it had pads similar to those that a
bandsaw does, to help keep the blade straight. And according to someone
in somewhat of a position to know, Bosch wanted to reduce the cost.

their prices increase 50%). Although, LarryJ doesn't trust the site
much, I use camelcamelcamel.com to follow prices. Though it would
probably yield the graph of a constant function for green tools.

I didn't like the app on my computer tracking everything I did, TYVM.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
MJ wrote:
Mike,

My rant really was against DeWalt for choosing an odd thread/size screw
to begin with.

But if it's a metric screw it isn't an odd size at all.

DeWalt sell to a world market. Why should they make a special version for
you Yanks just because you still live in the dark ages and insist on using
old fashioned imperial size screws?

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2012 3:18 AM, Stuart wrote:
In article
,
MJ wrote:
Mike,

My rant really was against DeWalt for choosing an odd thread/size screw
to begin with.

But if it's a metric screw it isn't an odd size at all.

DeWalt sell to a world market. Why should they make a special version for
you Yanks just because you still live in the dark ages and insist on using
old fashioned imperial size screws?

DeWalt appreciates the fact the we Yanks can still work with fractions.
They dumb it down for those that can only figure out whole numbers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 9:49 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

FWIW one of the many reasons jig saws get a bad rap is because the
blades dull and on some saws a royal PIA to change. Soooo the dull
blade gets left in the saw because it will cut in a bind.
Do you really need a tool to change that blade?

My Milwaukee is German made and about 10~12 years old. Great saw, GREAT
BLADE CHANGE FEATURE.

For certain, you will enjoy the saw more and get better results with a
saw that comes with a quick and easy blade change feature and I am not
talking strictly those that do not need a tool to change a blade. Many
fine quality saws have terrible blade change set ups. Flip the lever,
turn the knob 3 times this way, turn the knob that way. etc.

What you are looking for is Push the spring loaded lever and let the
blade drop out. Hold the leve,r drop in a blade, let go of the lever,
begin sawing. No reason to have to put up with anything more
complicated than that. FWIW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
What you are looking for is Push the spring loaded lever and let the
blade drop out. Hold the leve,r drop in a blade, let go of the lever,
begin sawing. No reason to have to put up with anything more
complicated than that. FWIW

No kidding ... my old Bosch is a mighty fine cutting jigsaw, but I have
to sign up for a semester at the local community college in advance just
to change the blade.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Leon wrote:
[...]

Basically same situation here I was the GM of a small business doing 6
million in wholesale sales with 8 employees. It cost too much to use
the mail, UPS came to us daily to deliver and again to pick up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
DeWalt appreciates the fact the we Yanks can still work with fractions.
They dumb it down for those that can only figure out whole numbers.

Touché

Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 08:00:49 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 11/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
What you are looking for is Push the spring loaded lever and let the
blade drop out. Hold the leve,r drop in a blade, let go of the lever,
begin sawing. No reason to have to put up with anything more
complicated than that. FWIW

No kidding ... my old Bosch is a mighty fine cutting jigsaw, but I have
to sign up for a semester at the local community college in advance just
to change the blade.

Yup, twins. Leon leaves dull blades in the tool and ewe need collige
helpe.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
What you are looking for is Push the spring loaded lever and let the
blade drop out. Hold the leve,r drop in a blade, let go of the lever,
begin sawing. No reason to have to put up with anything more
complicated than that. FWIW

No kidding ... my old Bosch is a mighty fine cutting jigsaw, but I have
to sign up for a semester at the local community college in advance just
to change the blade.

Yup, twins. Leon leaves dull blades in the tool and ewe need collige
helpe.

Actually I have a Milwaukee so I remove the blade after every use so
that it does not get dinged or bent in the power tool drawer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
What you are looking for is Push the spring loaded lever and let the
blade drop out. Hold the leve,r drop in a blade, let go of the lever,
begin sawing. No reason to have to put up with anything more
complicated than that. FWIW

No kidding ... my old Bosch is a mighty fine cutting jigsaw, but I have
to sign up for a semester at the local community college in advance just
to change the blade.

Yup, twins. Leon leaves dull blades in the tool and ewe need collige
helpe.

Actually I have a Milwaukee so I remove the blade after every use so
that it does not get dinged or bent in the power tool drawer.

More of the same ... reality/facts have never stopped C_less from making
off the wall judgements based on nothing but his wild ass assumptions ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
What you are looking for is Push the spring loaded lever and let the
blade drop out. Hold the leve,r drop in a blade, let go of the lever,
begin sawing. No reason to have to put up with anything more
complicated than that. FWIW

No kidding ... my old Bosch is a mighty fine cutting jigsaw, but I have
to sign up for a semester at the local community college in advance just
to change the blade.

Yup, twins. Leon leaves dull blades in the tool and ewe need collige
helpe.

Actually I have a Milwaukee so I remove the blade after every use so
that it does not get dinged or bent in the power tool drawer.

Ditto my recip in the truck, carried in a cordura work bag.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
What you are looking for is Push the spring loaded lever and let the
blade drop out. Hold the leve,r drop in a blade, let go of the lever,
begin sawing. No reason to have to put up with anything more
complicated than that. FWIW

No kidding ... my old Bosch is a mighty fine cutting jigsaw, but I have
to sign up for a semester at the local community college in advance just
to change the blade.

Yup, twins. Leon leaves dull blades in the tool and ewe need collige
helpe.

Actually I have a Milwaukee so I remove the blade after every use so
that it does not get dinged or bent in the power tool drawer.

More of the same ... reality/facts have never stopped C_less from making
off the wall judgements based on nothing but his wild ass assumptions ...

What's up your ass today, Swingy?

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:
[...]

My recipe saw is a PIA to change blades so the blade stays in there
until it is less trouble to change than to work with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 9:49 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/6/2012 12:24 AM, Dave wrote:

Not too many companies are in the same category as Lee Valley Tools.

This is true and oddly no one complains about their shipping costs. LOL

*##$%##$*%%$%$^#$^ shipping costs!!! : )

Ordered a router bit from Amazon yesterday. $1 shipping cost.
(Seller: RouterBitWorld).

I just want to add that my order was shipped today, by usps WITH a
Tracking Number! : )

And did you notice that you viewed the fact that the bit is coming from
RouterWorld? Many have not heard Router World until $1 shipping was
offered. Did you notice the suggestion of perhaps viewing and hopefully
buying "what others also bought" when they ordered that bit? The
shipping cost is hopefully covered by the impulse sale that many will
add on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 9:49 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/6/2012 12:24 AM, Dave wrote:

Not too many companies are in the same category as Lee Valley Tools.

This is true and oddly no one complains about their shipping costs.
LOL

*##$%##$*%%$%$^#$^ shipping costs!!! : )

Ordered a router bit from Amazon yesterday. $1 shipping cost.
(Seller: RouterBitWorld).

I just want to add that my order was shipped today, by usps WITH a
Tracking Number! : )

FWIW, I can order anything from Amazon until Dec 15 using my Discover
card and I get next day shipping for $1.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Actually I have a Milwaukee so I remove the blade after every use so
that it does not get dinged or bent in the power tool drawer.

Ditto my recip in the truck, carried in a cordura work bag.

My recipe saw is a PIA to change blades so the blade stays in there
until it is less trouble to change than to work with.

My PC Tiger saw is secured by a big hex setscrew so I keep a T-handled
allen wrench in the bag.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner
Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:
I have a Dewalt 321 top handle jigsaw. Over the summer, the screw
holding
the foot came loose. I thought I scooped up all the parts, and it
appears I did
but the damn screw, wasn't with the parts!

I decided the other day to put the foot back on the saw and searched
all over
for the screw, but I didn't have it. Damn it.

Took the saw today to the local ACE. They had a ton of choices, but
no screw fit the hole. Ok, went on-line and it seems that most of
the parts dealers have it, but I'm sure I'm going to pay $5 to ship
it
to me!. ARGH!

There is no Dewalt service center nearby within a 25 mile radius, but
I'll keep trying.

Looking for suggestions. I don't know the thread or size of the screw
since
DeWalt doesn't list them on the part number. Fastenal has it, but the
local
one didn't have it in stock.

Frustrating, to say the least.

Excellent excuse to buy a metal lathe - at least a small one. Then you can
make your own screws !

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/9/2012 7:17 AM, HeyBub wrote:
MJ wrote:
[...]

Well that would work but the screw that holds the the carbide bit would
be missing. ;~((

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news
MJ wrote:
[...]

To make the screw, he would have to know the specs on the original. If he
knew that, he could go down to the hardware store and buy one.