Posted to rec.woodworking

Default For want of a screw (not that kind)

Leon wrote:

Exactly my point. But why are people more inclined to pay more for
postage for a $100 item than a $1 item of the same size and weight?

I think the answer to that is kind of obvious.

Now lets think about that. I ship a screw to you and because it is
cheap I don't charge you enough to really cover the real cost for
shipping. It gets lost in the mail. Now you expect me to do this
again except this time I cover the cost of shipping again and give
you the part for free.

Why not cover the real cost for shipping? My point has been - why not use
cheaper shipping (USPS) for something like a screw, instead of UPS? I've
had plenty of stuff delivered to my house via USPS so it's not like it is
not done. I've also had plenty of stuff delivered via UPS that would fit
into your shirt pocket along with a pack of cigarettes.

If we teach retailers to not expect to cover their true cost of
shipping a $1 part they are going to learn to not ship that kind of
product. If you want it, go and get it.

I don't think we're teaching retailers anything Leon.

Just because a person believes that it does not cost more than a $1 to
create a sales invoice, pull the part, package it, and pay for
delivery does not mean that it does not cost much more.

Like I say - that is a different argument.

--

-Mike-