Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default For want of a screw (not that kind)

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 06:37:24 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 07:54:10 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 11/4/2012 10:26 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 22:16:09 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 11/4/2012 5:11 PM, MJ wrote:

Oh come on... if it is really that difficult to find a screw locally, then
why are you so cheap as to not just buy the damned thing? What are you
going to save with all of this effort - a couple of bucks? Sheese...

Mike,

My rant really was against DeWalt for choosing an odd thread/size
screw
to begin with. I checked with Sears and they want $10 to ship
a $1 screw.

Which begs the question, If you were having a smaller item than the
screw shipped, say a 5 karat diamond, would you then think $10 would be
too much for shipping?

g Not quite fair. A screw could be secured to a sheet of paper and
mailed in an envelope for a buck. A diamond couldn't, securely,
anyway. Good vendors would consider the first and faint from the
second.

Exactly why would a diamond not be able to be securely attached to a
piece of paper and mailed?

It couldn't be securely -mailed- that way, foo.

But to get back on track, why do people assume that it takes less man
power and expense to ship an in expensive item vs. one of much more
perceived value?

I don't agree that the expenses for mailing are that high. I sell
things myself and if I can mail it in an envelope, the customer isn't
charged for the PM fees, ever!

Show me a company who has to _spend_ ten bucks to ship a little screw
and I'll show you a company who overcharges for every item it sells.
And I won't be a customer of theirs. The value usually isn't there.

LJ--cheap^H^H^H^H^Hfrugal bastid, and proud of it.

I did service work for a major manufacturer of emergency backup
equipment. There was no part including a washer with a price under
$1.00 We did get them to start packaging installation kits so when
you went into the field you had all the little parts. That was a win
win as if it was warranty it saved them money as well. I know you
don't like it Larry but while we were a service center we ran into
some of those costs. 30 minutes dealing with people that didn't know
what they needed to sell a $10 part. Its nice to be nice but you
can't ignore overhead and operating costs. There were times we gave
parts away just to save money, but sometimes the cost is subject to
the customers attitude.

Mike M