Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default For want of a screw (not that kind)

On 11/6/2012 5:22 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Eggssacly! ;~) I think what most of the unknowing believe is that
they are the only ones that are buying the $1 part so paying a buck
or two for shipping is OK, no big loss for the retailer. What they
don't consider is that this happens hundreds of times per day per
location. So you hire "ONE" guy to sell, pull, package, and pay for
shipping, 50, $1 parts. That is all he has time to do. I can assure
you the profit of those 50 sales will not pay his salary for the day
and shipping expense. Not to mention overhead, insurance.....

Maybe I'm getting this wrong, or maybe you're not getting what I and others
have made simple comment on. It's not a matter of them covering their
costs. As I recall, the only real comment that was ever made was about the
cost of shipping very small stuff like that via the more expensive carriers,
rather than a simple stamp and off into USPS. Those cost differences have
nothing to do with the supplier. He already has his mark up in the price.
It's just a matter of the transportation costs for delivery. UPS is many
dollars, USPS is a few cents.

I am strictly referring to the OP original statement.

Ok, went on-line and it seems that most of
the parts dealers have it, but I'm sure I'm going to pay $5 to ship
it
to me!. ARGH!

The screw may still come in the 50 cent letter but the customer is going
to pay for the service of having it delivered to this door step rather
than him driving to the store himself, picking up the part himself, and
paying for it at the register himself, and driving back home.

The cost that the customer pays for shipping is but a small percentage
of the actual cost of every aspect to ship that item. Much cheaper on
the retailer for the customer to come and get it.