Posted to rec.woodworking

Default For want of a screw (not that kind)

Leon wrote:

Sure it but you think that the $1 screw price can cover all of the
expenses to ship it? Probably does not ever cover the stamp price.

Yes there are bigger ticket items to make up the difference but if the
piddley profit stuff costs you every time you sell one and ship it the
smart retailer will stop carrying the part.

But the difference in our points of view is not so much centered around them
making a bit to cover costs of handling, but it was about the UPS (or like)
charges for something that could have gone into an envelope for a lot less.

But back on track, I mentioned screws and diamonds, about the same
weight and size.

But... considerably different value which makes your analogy ill
fitted.

What does value have to do with the cost of shipping a like sized and
and weight item?

Just that value has a big effect on what people would accept as a method of
shipment. For high value items, most people are comfortable with the
charges associated with a more secure method of shipment. For something
like a screw - why bother?

--

-Mike-