BUB 209

Default OT as Hell - Sam's Club

Just wondering if anybody really feels they get a bargain or really save even
the
30.00 or more they plunk down for a membership. I got mine whithout looking
around the store and the first thing I saw was a stack of apple pies - for
12.00
each. By the time I was leaving, I had this picture in my mind of food
industry
CEOs sitting around a swimming pool watching a bunch of ants swarming over
a piece of watermelon, and the proverbial lightbulb going off - "We'll
mesmerise
the masses with mass quantities!"
John

I go there about 4 times a year and load up on all of the things I can buy
in bulk. Hey, I'm single and hate to shop. Soaps and stuff only need to be
bought once a year. Frozen stuff about once a quarter. The membership
doesn't pay for me in actuall dollars but the time I'm not in the local
supermarket is well worth the $$$ to me. YMMV.

"BUB 209" wrote in message
Just wondering if anybody really feels they get a bargain or really save

even
the
30.00 or more they plunk down for a membership. I got mine whithout

looking
around the store and the first thing I saw was a stack of apple pies - for
12.00
each. By the time I was leaving, I had this picture in my mind of food
industry
CEOs sitting around a swimming pool watching a bunch of ants swarming over
a piece of watermelon, and the proverbial lightbulb going off - "We'll
mesmerise
the masses with mass quantities!"

Old Oak

John wrote:
I go there about 4 times a year and load up on all of the things I can buy
in bulk. Hey, I'm single and hate to shop. Soaps and stuff only need to be
bought once a year. Frozen stuff about once a quarter. The membership
doesn't pay for me in actuall dollars but the time I'm not in the local
supermarket is well worth the $$$ to me. YMMV.

The savings on diapers pays for the membership. Milk's also a lot
cheaper than at the store.

xrongor

i am convinced that at the end of they day you end up with more stuff at a
slightly better price overall, but spend more money because you just cant
resist 100 pounds of tootsie rolls for 20 bucks g so do i actually save
any money? i.e. have more money in my pocket because of sams club or cosco?
definitely not.

i think your description is very accurate. you get mesmerized!!

randy

"BUB 209" wrote in message
Just wondering if anybody really feels they get a bargain or really save

even
the
30.00 or more they plunk down for a membership. I got mine whithout

looking
around the store and the first thing I saw was a stack of apple pies - for
12.00
each. By the time I was leaving, I had this picture in my mind of food
industry
CEOs sitting around a swimming pool watching a bunch of ants swarming over
a piece of watermelon, and the proverbial lightbulb going off - "We'll
mesmerise
the masses with mass quantities!"

Swingman

"BUB 209" wrote in message ...
Just wondering if anybody really feels they get a bargain or really save

even
the
30.00 or more they plunk down for a membership.

In this hot, humid, Houston climate, I wear t-shirts in the shop and often
change 2 or 3 times a day. Until just recently Sam's had the best damn
t-shirts in the Western Hemisphere for shop use: Pluma "Heavyweight" cotton
t's ... I've got some that are ten years old and still fit for shop use.

Now the same asshole MBA's who have screwed up everything else in this
country have gotten their licks in and the "new" Sam t-shirts are the same
price, but the cotton is so cheap and thin it will barely survive 3
washings. I tell ya, this country is going to the dogs .... starting with
Sam's.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Edwin Pawlowski

"BUB 209" wrote in message
Just wondering if anybody really feels they get a bargain or really save

even
the
30.00 or more they plunk down for a membership.

Can't speak for Sam's, but have a membership at BJ's. I know I save at least
two or three times my membership cost. I've save it on a single purchase a
couple of times.

Know prices so you can compare. Example: Supermarket boneless or roast is
$4 a pound. BJ's price is $1.89. You have to buy the whole loin so we cut
it into three ices and freeze.

Fill a propane tank. Local stations $12. BJ's $7.49

Bought a high definition TV and saved $100 over any other source I found.

Worth it for me.
Ed

Greg

I agree, only go to Sams/Costco if you know what things are supposed to cost.
They have deals on big containers of stuff but if you don't use stuff before it
goes bad it is not a bargain.
I buy non perishables and things I use a lot of.
They also have great deals on close out items but that is not predictable and
it is easy to get a great deal on something you will never use if you get
caught up in the moment.

RonB

I think it pays, if you use the membership. I recently priced a set of BF
Goodrich light truck tires all over Wichita, KS at prices ranging from $465
to $579 (installed). I got them at Sam's for $406. (If they had made their
1 hour installation guarantee they would have cost $436). This alone paid
this year's membership. We also save in bulk groceries and a lot of bulk
packaged clothing items like t-shirts, socks, etc. Some of Sam's meat and
frozen food items are of good quality. I have also seen some very good
prices on items like laptops, televisions and power tools. You just have to
be willing to buy the single model they sell.

Heck - you can't beat the free meal they provide in the aisles every
Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Yeah - no pride!

"BUB 209" wrote in message
Just wondering if anybody really feels they get a bargain or really save

even
the
30.00 or more they plunk down for a membership. I got mine whithout

looking
around the store and the first thing I saw was a stack of apple pies - for
12.00
each. By the time I was leaving, I had this picture in my mind of food
industry
CEOs sitting around a swimming pool watching a bunch of ants swarming over
a piece of watermelon, and the proverbial lightbulb going off - "We'll
mesmerise
the masses with mass quantities!"

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Kiwanda wrote:

We save far more than $30 a year on milk alone at Sam's.

Yours is the second message noting milk prices - what do they run a
gallon? (Assuming one doesn't have to buy it by the 55 gal. drum.)

In my little 'burg, inevitably one of the three grocery stores almost
always has a weekly coupon for milk at $1.88 to $2.00/gal, vs. $3.65 or
so regular price.

http://www.flybynightcoppercompany.com
http://www.easystreet.com/~onlnlowe/index.html
Lee Gordon

I used to date a woman who was a member at Sams Club. She did save money on
much of what she bought but she ended up with quantities of stuff that were
so much more than she needed that she ended up giving away a lot of the
excess. So most of it turned out to cost her more in the long run.

Lee

Brad Bruce

"Lee Gordon" wrote in
:

I used to date a woman who was a member at Sams Club. She did save
money on much of what she bought but she ended up with quantities of
stuff that were so much more than she needed that she ended up giving
away a lot of the excess. So most of it turned out to cost her more
in the long run.

Lee

You have to check out how they mean by "in bulk". I've noticed that "Sams
Club" sell the large containers while another club "BJ's" sells multi-packs
(many containers like you'd buy in the store, in one wrapper)

NJBrad
Charlie Self

Barry notes:

FWIW, I've seen stuff that both Sam's and Wal-Mart carry selling for
less in Wal-Mart.

Another note on Wal-Mart: frequently, twofers sell for more than you'd spend
buying two singles of an item. Recently, I've noticed that acetaminophin with
two 100 tab bottles in the pack sells for about 14 cents more than two single
packs; last week, Coke 24 packs were on sale, for a buck more than two 12
packs.

This is marketing in its finest hour. Over the years, we've been educated to
believe that buying larger packs saves money.

Today, you'd damned well better check, because it may well cost you
considerably more.

Charlie Self
"When you appeal to force, there's one thing you must never do - lose." Dwight
D. Eisenhower

Gary

"BUB 209" wrote in message
Just wondering if anybody really feels they get a bargain or really save

even
the
30.00 or more they plunk down for a membership. I got mine whithout

looking
around the store and the first thing I saw was a stack of apple pies - for
12.00
each. By the time I was leaving, I had this picture in my mind of food
industry
CEOs sitting around a swimming pool watching a bunch of ants swarming over
a piece of watermelon, and the proverbial lightbulb going off - "We'll
mesmerise
the masses with mass quantities!"

I'm a warehouse junkie, I have both Sam's and Costco memberships. Sam's
gasoline is consistently 5 cents cheaper than other gas stations in the
area. My wife swears that the bulk laundry detergents and bleaches are
diluted.

Gary

Jay

(BUB 209) wrote in message ...
Just wondering if anybody really feels they get a bargain or really save even
the
30.00 or more they plunk down for a membership. I got mine whithout looking
around the store and the first thing I saw was a stack of apple pies - for
12.00
each. By the time I was leaving, I had this picture in my mind of food
industry
CEOs sitting around a swimming pool watching a bunch of ants swarming over
a piece of watermelon, and the proverbial lightbulb going off - "We'll
mesmerise
the masses with mass quantities!"

I go to Costco and Sams.

Last night I went to Costco and saved $30 in one shot. They had Cedar
Filled dog beds for $17. I compared to PetSmart for $50+.

Sugar Free Red Bull. Wife loves the stuff. At $30 for 30, this is much
better than the 2.50 a can she was paying at the gas station every
day.

Baking/cooking bulks. I don't food shop there, but I save a lot of
money on Baking Soda for the laundry room. I pay the same as at the
supermarket, but get 5 times as much. Chicken bouillion cubes. Same
price, 10 times as much.

It also a size convenience thing. When the wife is making 4 batches of
cookies for her students, it is just plain easier to go to Sam's

I also do Costco, which I find is better for higher end stuff. I
travel frequently and I found that thier $40 "Kirkland" wheeled
suitcase is as good as a Tumi or Travelpro for 1/10 the cost.

I also picked up a roll-top desk at Costco a few years back for $399.
Saw the EXACT same one (Brand, wood, fit & finish) at a local
furniture shop for $1300.

Costco roses are better here than at the florist. 2 dozen for $13.
Once every few weeks for the wife and I get less flak for tool
purchases.

With the warehouse stores, it is definitely a "pick your battle"
thing. If you do the typical minivan practice of loading up the cart
on every impulse buy you see because it is a good deal, you are
hurting yourself on supersize crap you don't need. However, if you go
to the store to fill a specific need, you can make great deals.
Allen Epps

In article , Jay
wrote:

With the warehouse stores, it is definitely a "pick your battle"
thing. If you do the typical minivan practice of loading up the cart
on every impulse buy you see because it is a good deal, you are
hurting yourself on supersize crap you don't need. However, if you go
to the store to fill a specific need, you can make great deals.

No I really need that 55 gallon drum of capers!! I do I do!

My wife and I are not allowed to go alone. together we provide a bit of
sanity check on each other.

Allen
Randy Chapman

Diapers, forumla, shampoo, frozen chicken breasts, gas, milk, ice cream,
ritz crackers, mac'n'cheese, tuna, cold cereal, cereal bars, dvds, games
(xbox, computer, etc), music cds, at least, are all considerably cheaper
than other places. The gas station personell, however, are horribly rude.
It really depends on what and how much you buy. We have five kids with one
on the way, and go through the above items like craz.....

--randy

"BUB 209" wrote in message
Just wondering if anybody really feels they get a bargain or really save

even
the
30.00 or more they plunk down for a membership. I got mine whithout

looking
around the store and the first thing I saw was a stack of apple pies - for
12.00
each. By the time I was leaving, I had this picture in my mind of food
industry
CEOs sitting around a swimming pool watching a bunch of ants swarming over
a piece of watermelon, and the proverbial lightbulb going off - "We'll
mesmerise
the masses with mass quantities!"

RonB

Oh Yeah - I forgot. Sam's public price on gasoline is always competitive.
When you subtract the .05/gallon member's discount, it more than pays for
the membership (even if you aren't driving my 8.1 Liter Chevy pickup).

"RonB" wrote in message
I think it pays, if you use the membership. I recently priced a set of BF
Goodrich light truck tires all over Wichita, KS at prices ranging from

$465
to $579 (installed). I got them at Sam's for $406. (If they had made

their
1 hour installation guarantee they would have cost $436). This alone paid
this year's membership. We also save in bulk groceries and a lot of bulk
packaged clothing items like t-shirts, socks, etc. Some of Sam's meat and
frozen food items are of good quality. I have also seen some very good
prices on items like laptops, televisions and power tools. You just have

be willing to buy the single model they sell.

Heck - you can't beat the free meal they provide in the aisles every
Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Yeah - no pride!

"

Chad Bender

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 01:49:56 -0400, Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

In article ,
Kiwanda wrote:

We save far more than $30 a year on milk alone at Sam's.

Yours is the second message noting milk prices - what do they run a
gallon? (Assuming one doesn't have to buy it by the 55 gal. drum.)

In my little 'burg, inevitably one of the three grocery stores almost
always has a weekly coupon for milk at $1.88 to $2.00/gal, vs. $3.65 or
so regular price.

Holly cow! (literally) Out here on Long Island we're paying about
$4.50/gal at the grocery store, and that in a state with a massive dairy
industry.

Chad
Scott Lurndal

Kiwanda wrote:

We save far more than $30 a year on milk alone at Sam's.

Yours is the second message noting milk prices - what do they run a
gallon? (Assuming one doesn't have to buy it by the 55 gal. drum.)

In my little 'burg, inevitably one of the three grocery stores almost
always has a weekly coupon for milk at $1.88 to $2.00/gal, vs. $3.65 or
so regular price.

Holly cow! (literally) Out here on Long Island we're paying about
$4.50/gal at the grocery store, and that in a state with a massive dairy
industry.

For what it's worth, very little of that $4.50 makes it to the farmer,
something like $12.00/cwt. Figure about 8 pounds to the gallon, that
is about a dollar a gallon to the farmer; the rest is processing costs
(pasteurization) and markup.

Out here, it runs about $3.85 at the grocers; at my grocer, the second
gallon is only $1.00. So that's about 2.50 a gallon; not bad for the
Bay Area.

scott
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:18:59 GMT, "Randy Chapman"
calmly ranted:

Diapers, forumla, shampoo, frozen chicken breasts, gas, milk, ice cream,
ritz crackers, mac'n'cheese, tuna, cold cereal, cereal bars, dvds, games
(xbox, computer, etc), music cds, at least, are all considerably cheaper
than other places. The gas station personell, however, are horribly rude.

Costco for: Birdie Boobs (chicken breasts to those of you
who sport very little imagination), Seattle Mountain Grown
Sumatran Coffee (ta-die-for good), Lindsay olives, books,
winter jackets, kitchen goodies, and the Kirkland vitamins.
Ibuprofen in 1,000 count bottles for $9.29. Helps after a
long (short) day in the shop/garden/behind the weedeater.
Gas is usually, but not always, cheaper, too.

The pièce de résistance is their diner. Polish dog and a
Pepsi for a buck and a half. Yeah, BUDDY!

It really depends on what and how much you buy. We have five kids with one
on the way, and go through the above items like craz.....

Condolences.

---
Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest!
---
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Swingman

Default OT as Hell - Sam's Club - (now on topic)

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

The pièce de résistance is their diner. Polish dog and a
Pepsi for a buck and a half. Yeah, BUDDY!

Here's a non-culinary "Yeah, BUDDY!" from Sam's:

http://e-woodshop.net/files/rockers.jpg

Teak wood, well built and solid, BIG rockers (seats are 24" wide) Price:
$US129/ea

Takes the mystery of why it's hard to make a living making furniture .... I
literally can't buy the wood locally for that price!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Chad Bender

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:28:29 -0400, Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

I may be waaaay off base, but I also think some of the pricing
difference has to do with the economic base of the community - meaning,
"what the market will bear" with an additional thought to making a basic
staple of childhood nutrition available to segments that may not buy it
if it were more expensive.

That's probably true. But the $4.50/gal is not so far off for NY City as
well. I'm out in suburbia Long Island, so you could argue that my area is
more affluent than a lot of NY City and can bear the $4.50/gal. But there
are lots of low income families with children in Queens, Brooklyn, the
Bronx, etc, and the high milk prices are a burden on them.

I tend to think that right now a lot of the price is because of the dairy
farms. The price here and in the city has gone up by more than $1/gal
over the past year, and that's pretty hard to attribute to the
distributor.

Chad

brian lanning

For us, it's the same as what others have said. You have to be
careful what you buy. For example, there's a goofy type of mozzarella
cheese I like to get. All the local grocery stores have it for $8,
sam's has it for $4. Luckily, my wife is real good about knowing what
a good price is. I would never keep track of it all. They also have
things I can't get anywhere else. For years, we've been buying these
bags of chicken. My daughter started calling it "circle chicken" at
about 3 years old. She's 12 now. It's a bag of about 40 skinless,
boneless chicken thighs. They have other parts also. I think it's $9
for the bag. They have spiral cut hams that are usually too
expensive, but sometimes go on sale of a spectacular price. They have
pans of frozen lazagne that are really good also. Then there's the
pre-made frozen meatballs. There's a lot of things.

brian

(BUB 209) wrote in message ...
Just wondering if anybody really feels they get a bargain or really save even
the
30.00 or more they plunk down for a membership. I got mine whithout looking
around the store and the first thing I saw was a stack of apple pies - for
12.00
each. By the time I was leaving, I had this picture in my mind of food
industry
CEOs sitting around a swimming pool watching a bunch of ants swarming over
a piece of watermelon, and the proverbial lightbulb going off - "We'll
mesmerise
the masses with mass quantities!"

Leon

We pay about $2.25 per gallon in Texas. How long will a gallon set in the
refrigerator before it spoils? We get about 10 days on average.

Scott Lurndal

Chad Bender writes:
[...]

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/MD_DA210.txt

I don't think milk prices at the producer have increased
substantially over the past few years. From the link above,
western NY prices are lower than the northeast average.

scott

Chad

David Hall

In most areas of the country (and most definitely in the People's Republic of
Pennsylvania) there are government mandated MINIMUM prices that milk can be
sold for. Very seldomly is it sold for more than the minimum and NEVER for
less. You will get fined heavily if caught selling for less than the minimum.
The Pennsylvania Milk Marketing Board strictly enforces this law. A couple of
years ago the School District I work for went to bid for its dairy and juice
products. All vendors bid the state minimum prices for the dairy (and we use a
LOT of milk) but there was some seriously competitive pricing on the juice.
After we awarded the contract to the lowest bidder one of their competitors
filed a complaint with the Milk Marketing Board alleging that the winner was
effectively selling milk below the minimum by selling juice products below
their cost. The Milk Marketing Board proceeded to investigate and 4 or 5 months
later ruled that the company had "underpriced" the milk by selling juice below
cost. They forced the company to increase their prices to us, forced us to pay
the increased price for all products already purchased and consumed to date as
well as all future purchases and fined the company heavily. This was for
charging a public school district too LITTLE!!!! I could not believe it when I
had to write that check. That is government in this so-called "capitalist"
country

Dave Hall

[...]

J. Clarke

Leon wrote:

We pay about $2.25 per gallon in Texas. How long will a gallon set in
the
refrigerator before it spoils? We get about 10 days on average.

I presume you're talking milk? If so, freeze it. Don't know what the
plastic jugs do but the paper ones take it just fine. Shake it up before
you open it--freezing tends to separate it.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Kiwanda

Phisherman wrote in
news
On 13 Jul 2004 23:50:31 GMT, (BUB 209) wrote:

Just wondering if anybody really feels they get a bargain or

really
save even the
30.00 or more they plunk down for a membership. I got mine

whithout
looking around the store and the first thing I saw was a stack

of
apple pies - for 12.00
each. By the time I was leaving, I had this picture in my mind

of
food industry
CEOs sitting around a swimming pool watching a bunch of ants

swarming
over a piece of watermelon, and the proverbial lightbulb going

off -
"We'll mesmerise
the masses with mass quantities!"

I have not seen anything woodworker-related in
Sam's Club.

Depends on what "related" means I guess. Tonight I was at Sam's
for milk, greens, freezer bags, and some other odds-n-ends and
took at look at the tools. They have Porter-Cable circular saws
(6" I think)on sale for $75. I didn't see the model number, but
there's nothing else on the net for that price. They had the
small P-C rotary cutter (aka "rotozip") on clearance for $25, and
a big framing nailer for under $200. (I didn't look closely at
any of these as I don't need them.)

They typically have PC nailers, drills, and circular saws.
Occasionally they have Delta or PC miter saws in the $300 range.
A few sizes of compressors, inc. some 60 gal 220v models. Great
prices on ladders (1/2 of what Menard's charges for the exact
model when I bought my 28' there). Other shop equipment of
various sorts, all generally about 30% less than any place else
I've ever seen it.

It's hard to beat the prices on some things there, for sure. And
contrary to another poster's experience, we can still get 50 and
100# bags of flour at our Sams.

-Derek
Leon

We never have any go bad, but I have heard that some states have different
standards for the way milk is processed and it lasts a relative long time
compared to 10 days. 21 to 30 days seems right. Some special milks do last
a long time. I was wondering if the $4+ per gallon is a result of milk that
lasts longer.
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

We pay about $2.25 per gallon in Texas. How long will a gallon set in
the
refrigerator before it spoils? We get about 10 days on average.

I presume you're talking milk? If so, freeze it. Don't know what the
plastic jugs do but the paper ones take it just fine. Shake it up before
you open it--freezing tends to separate it.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Upscale

"Leon" wrote in message news:hwmJc.2345

compared to 10 days. 21 to 30 days seems right. Some special milks do

last
a long time. I was wondering if the $4+ per gallon is a result of milk

that
lasts longer.

I've switched brands of milk in the past because the newer brand didn't go
sour as fast. The company explanation was that it was packaged differently
allowing less light to be absorbed by the milk.